Headlight Illumination Issues

GMC's response to my letter:

"We found that the concern you're experiencing is considered normal operation for the component and technology at hand in your vehicle."

Maybe normal operation for the inferior components that they call headlights in the '14 & 15's.

Definitely not "professional grade"

I picked up a new demo '16 Sierra SLT from my dealer today to test drive at night to see how much better the LED lights are compared to my '15 SLE.

These ARE the lights that should be in our '14-'15 Sierras right from the factory!

My service manager was right when he said I would be impressed-I am.

Other than I thought the headlamps could be raised a bit, the lighting performance was so much better than my truck's lights, actually had light off to the sides and when I put the high beams on, it was great to actually have them provide more lighting. When I put the highs on on my truck, not much improvement from the lows.

Next step to see about a retrofit of the LEDs into my truck.

Edited by Shredzy
  • Like 1

I am reaching the end of the line on my GMC headlight lament. I got a call yesterday from Antoinette at the GMC executive office, in response to my email to Mary Barra, and she basically told me that she would check if there are any new changes to the TSB (unlikely) and then the answer will be that the headlights are working as they were designed to work. She was kind enough to listen to my rant about GMC standing behind their vehicles (or not) and she admitted she has fielded a lot of complaints about SIerra headlights.

Bottom line is that GM is immune to arguments from the little guy relating to REPUTATION ("Professional Grade") or RESPONSIBILITY to their customers. Threats to not buy another GMC fall on deaf ears.

For anyone stumbling across this thread because you have this problem, I strongly recommend you go to the NHTSA complaint page (Transport Canada compliant page for our northern neighbors) and also to CarComplaints.com, and file a complaint about the safety hazard these lights cause. That may someday cause GMC to have to comply with a recall.

• Like 1

Thank you for our interest in joining the class action lawsuit against General Motors concerning the poor headlight performance on the 2014 – 2015 model GMC Sierra 1500 pickup trucks.

We appreciate your patience while we performed our due diligence in preparing this case. At this point we are ready to move forward with the suit!

We hope you are still interested in joining the class action. If so, you will need to contact the attorney in charge of client intake to get signed up. You can call or email to get enrolled.

Call 214-443-0800 and ask for Rosi or Leon. Tell them it is regarding the GMC headlight class action. You can also email your name and phone number to [email protected] . Use the subject line "GMC Headlights Class Action" . Someone will get with you promptly to complete the required intake form.

There is NO financial obligation to join the suit, and you may opt out at any time.

Thank you again for joining the class action to have General Motors fix these dangerous trucks!

• Like 5

Thank you for our interest in joining the class action lawsuit against General Motors concerning the poor headlight performance on the 2014 – 2015 model GMC Sierra 1500 pickup trucks.

We appreciate your patience while we performed our due diligence in preparing this case. At this point we are ready to move forward with the suit!

We hope you are still interested in joining the class action. If so, you will need to contact the attorney in charge of client intake to get signed up. You can call or email to get enrolled.

Call 214-443-0800 and ask for Rosi or Leon. Tell them it is regarding the GMC headlight class action. You can also email your name and phone number to [email protected] . Use the subject line "GMC Headlights Class Action" . Someone will get with you promptly to complete the required intake form.

There is NO financial obligation to join the suit, and you may opt out at any time.

Thank you again for joining the class action to have General Motors fix these dangerous trucks!

I also got this email today and I just got off the phone with Leon from this particular law firm. He seems like a very nice guy and after talking with him I've learned that his been dealing with vehicle related legal issues for 30 years. He took down my personal info as well as info pertaining to my Sierra. He stated that there was approximately 500,000 Sierras built between 2014-2015 that are affected by the issues with the headlights. He also stated that there are several law firms across the country that have joined together to move forward with this lawsuit and that they would not have taken on this task if they didn't believe that there was a viable case.

If you own one of these affected Sierras it is absolutely important that you contact these people, there is no financial obligation to anyone who wants to be added to this class action lawsuit. Its time to stop complaining about these pathetic headlights on these forums and instead focus your efforts into joining this lawsuit. If there has every been any chance to make GMC fix this issue.....this is it! Strength in numbers is what's going to help this succeed.

• Like 4

Gotta figure they will want something at some point$$$

Nope. That's not how a class action works. They need the class respondents to make the case. That's it. Attorneys get paid from the settlement. A case this big means a potentially huge settlement for them.

Look up the firms involved in this. They have BIG successes against ALL the big automakers, and suppliers as well like Firestone, Takata, etc.

These guys are on our side (and also their own; I'm not an idiot).

I called and spoke to them as well. If you have a truck with these terrible headlight issues, I encourage you to call or email them as well. You are all smart people. You aren't going to get roped into something.

As we are seeing, GM is not going to do ANYTHING for you, except tell you the headlights are working as designed, and if you want new headlights, go buy a new $50k truck. (maybe one from Ford or Ram this time??)

• Like 3

Well after 12 months of the new lights Im back to report that they dont last long. I got 10 months out of my drivers side light and now my passenger is out. Truck has 18000 miles on it so hopefully this next light will also be covered under warranty. What a crock these lights are!!! Calling the dealer tomorrow again to see if they will be covered.

Tried calling.....number temporarily unavailable

It worked fine yesterday.......if you email them they will contact you directly.

I just tried and it went right through. They said they have been getting swamped with calls this morning.

I'd try it again.

I just tried and it went right through. They said they have been getting swamped with calls this morning.

I'd try it again.

Yup, went thru this time.....talked to Rosie and gave info.....waiting for Leon or Rosi to call later