Headlight Illumination Issues

If you have a safety-related complaint about your 2014-2015 GMC Sierra headlights, it is strongly recommended that you file a complaint with the NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I filed a complaint and then wrote an email to the NHTSA titled “Complained – Now, so what?” They responded that an investigator might contact me in the future… and then provided this information:

“NHTSA technical staff conducts a continuous analysis of these reports to determine whether an unusual number of complaints of potential safety-related problems have been received on any specific line of vehicles, tires, or equipment (e.g., child safety seats, jacks, trailer hitches, etc.). The number of reported complaints and the severity of the consequences are carefully reviewed by technical staff and measured against the number of vehicles (or items of equipment) manufactured, and how many years the vehicles or equipment have been in service.

This ongoing evaluation process allows NHTSA technical staff to determine whether complaints represent isolated reports or a trend. If a trend is suspected and a problem has a potential for causing a risk to safety, the agency will open an investigation for more detailed analysis of the problem.”

It is important that every person who has a legitimate complaint about the Sierra’s headlights actually file a complaint – this is the only way that the NHTSA can be spurred to issue a recall.

• Like 1

GMC Customer Complaints called me today -- responding to my letter. After a long conversation, basically said there is nothing they can do to help me. The rep (who was very pleasant and even apologetic) told me that any rewiring or changes to replace the 2014 headlight with the 2016 lighting would probably void the warranty. Bottom line here is that GMC knows it has this problem, but it is below their radar to engineer a solution.

Edited by SierraRover

Top Class Actions
By Tamara Burns
October 21, 2015

General Motors was hit with a class action lawsuit on Tuesday with allegations that the headlights in various newer model GMC Sierra vehicles are defective. The class action lawsuit claims the headlights do not provide enough light for nighttime driving and compromise safety, putting vehicle owners, other drivers and pedestrians at risk.

Plaintiffs Armando J. Becerra and Guillermo Ruelas claim that the auto maker has had prior knowledge of the alleged headlight defect but has chosen to hide the problem from vehicle owners, posing a safety risk for customers and others on the road. GM has denied having prior knowledge of the alleged defect.

According to the GM class action lawsuit, Becerra bought a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 and has taken it to the dealership a number of times, but they were unable to address the problem. Since the attempted repairs were unsuccessful, Becerra said he had to purchase a new headlight assembly for his vehicle, setting him back $400 to $500. Ruelas alleges he had a similar issue at the dealership when he attempted to have the headlights on his 2014 GMC Sierra fixed. He ended up trading his vehicle in for a newer model GMC, but the 2015 model was no better and he continued to have the same headlight issues, according to the class action lawsuit.

Before the 2014 model year, GMC Sierras came equipped with three different bulbs for the headlight assembly: a light for low beams, another for high beams, and a third for fog lights. Starting in 2014, the headlight assembly reportedly included only one bulb for both the low and the high beams.

Shortly after the 2014 model year trucks were released, complaints surfaced in various locations on the internet detailing customer dissatisfaction with the alleged faulty design of the headlights. Owners complained of feeling unsafe to drive at night, and said that the headlights were “terrible” or “the worst I’ve ever experienced.”

The GMC Sierra headlights class action lawsuit brings forth seven counts against GM for unfair and deceptive acts and practices, breach of express and implied warranty, fraudulent concealment and unjust enrichment, among others.

Becerra and Ruelas hope to certify a nationwide Class of individuals who leased or purchased the vehicles with allegedly defective headlights. The affected vehicles are the GMC Sierra 1500 (model years 2014 and 2015), GMC Sierra 2500HD (model year 2015) and GMC Sierra 3500HD (model year 2015). They hope to seek certification for a California subclass as well.

The plaintiffs are seeking injunctive relief and costs of litigation but are not seeking monetary damages at this time. A notice has been sent to General Motors pursuant to the California Legal Remedies Act and if the defendant denies relief, plaintiffs may amend to add a claim for damages.

becerra and Ruelas are represented by David E. Bower and Adam Gonnelli of Faruqi & Faruqi LLP, Bonner Walsh of Walsh PLLC, Steven L. Marchbanks of Premier Legal Center APC and Craig M. Patrick of Patrick Law Firm PC.

The GMC Sierra Headlights Class Action Lawsuit is Becerra, et al. v. General Motors LLC, et al., Case No. 3:15-cv-02365, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.

gov.uscourts.casd.487140.1.0.pdf

Edited by SierraRover

GMC Customer Complaints called me today -- responding to my letter. After a long conversation, basically said there is nothing they can do to help me. The rep (who was very pleasant and even apologetic) told me that any rewiring or changes to replace the 2014 headlight with the 2016 lighting would probably void the warranty. Bottom line here is that GMC knows it has this problem, but it is below their radar to engineer a solution.

They are never going to do anything but pay lip service.

You're on your own.

• Like 1

On my 2014's I replaced all bulbs with LEDs and added auxiliary lights to be able to drive at night. Worst set of lights ever.

If you have a safety-related complaint about your 2014-2015 GMC Sierra headlights, it is strongly recommended that you file a complaint with the NHTSA.

I filed a complaint and then wrote an email to the NHTSA titled “Complained – Now, so what?” They responded that an investigator might contact me in the future… and then provided this information:

“NHTSA technical staff conducts a continuous analysis of these reports to determine whether an unusual number of complaints of potential safety-related problems have been received on any specific line of vehicles, tires, or equipment (e.g., child safety seats, jacks, trailer hitches, etc.). The number of reported complaints and the severity of the consequences are carefully reviewed by technical staff and measured against the number of vehicles (or items of equipment) manufactured, and how many years the vehicles or equipment have been in service.

This ongoing evaluation process allows NHTSA technical staff to determine whether complaints represent isolated reports or a trend. If a trend is suspected and a problem has a potential for causing a risk to safety, the agency will open an investigation for more detailed analysis of the problem.”

It is important that every person who has a legitimate complaint about the Sierra’s headlights actually file a complaint – this is the only way that the NHTSA can be spurred to issue a recall.

Been there

For everyone with similar experiences, recommend you take a few minutes and file a complaint about the poor safety of these headlights on the NHTSA web page.

The chance of a solution may be small, but -- it is the best chance there is.

Bottom line is that GMC makes a good truck, but when they fall below the "professional grade" level of achievement, and their mistake endangers the public, they need to take corrective action.

• Like 1

Did the rep mean that if they (GMC) did any rewiring or retrofitted the headlamps would void the warranty, or the warranty would be void if the vehicle owner attempted those changes themselves?

These reps can be as pleasant as they want and apologetic as well, but someone within their organization should step up and actually do something rather than the "lip service".

Did the rep mean that if they (GMC) did any rewiring or retrofitted the headlamps would void the warranty, or the warranty would be void if the vehicle owner attempted those changes themselves?

These reps can be as pleasant as they want and apologetic as well, but someone within their organization should step up and actually do something rather than the "lip service".

If anyone, me, or the dealer, rigged something up, then it would not be covered by warranty if something happened. (The part of the truck affected by the modification would not be covered by warranty). It wasn't an ultimatum, it was just an observation to explain why the dealer here couldn't retrofit 2016 lighting, which I had asked about as a possible solution.

Edited by SierraRover

I had to fix my lights because I work 12 hour shifts and leave and get home in the dark. Worst part of my LEDs is the reflection off of snow. Deer seem to hate LEDs and freeze in there tracks. Just my experience so far.

GMC COULD correct the lighting issue IF they wanted to, there's enough profit made on each truck sold that wouldn't hurt them to bring the trucks up to "professional grade."

Customer safety & satisfaction must take second place to profits?

• Like 1

^^ This is what everyone needs to do! I just filed my complaint this morning. Unfortunately between the 2014 and 2015 GMC Sierras there are less than 200 complaints on the NHTSA site and not all of those are for the headlights. This thread has generated over 104 pages of posts, so if your posting in here take the time to act on your frustrations and file a complaint if you haven't already done so.

• Like 1

Ok, I registered a complaint. I too believe the lights are barely adequate and need updated some how. I don't care how it's done but GM should be the one fixing the issue and not me and my wallet. I've already paid for good headlights that I can see adequately down the road at night.

Hopefully this gets some traction and GM offers a fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I registered a complaint. I too believe the lights are barely adequate and need updated some how. I don't care how it's done but GM should be the one fixing the issue and not me and my wallet. I've already paid for good headlights that I can see adequately down the road at night.

Hopefully this gets some traction and GM offers a fix.

After their simple bulb(Volsa) change and voltage increase GM will never visit this issue again. They think they are off the hook IMHO. Edited by WLC