Headlight Illumination Issues

My perception is that the Vosla 55 watt bulb is maybe 20% brighter than the old stock 55 watt 9012 bulb, and about the same brightness as the (modified base) 9011 65 watt bulb I tried before having the TSB accomplished.

If the Vosla bulb dims over time, as some people have noticed it doing, I will go back to the (modified base) 9011 65 watt bulb. The only good news is that the Sylvania 9011 HIR bulbs have come down in price to around $19 at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-HIR1-9011-Headlight-Bulb-1-Pack-9011B1/203654601?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9deXZvLsTZWBZKzGIQck9HS-_7nE7x5vlclfA3M3WoBoCgnrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know GM is a large investment company that happens to make cars and trucks, but I am disappointed they didn't do a better job with the headlights in the first place, but also again with the TSB. I mean, issuing the TSB proves they knew they had a problem, but it represents a cheap solution with minimal real improvement -- and may cause additional problems down the road, as the Vosla bulbs have a relatively short life span.

Edited by SierraRover

My perception is that the Vosla 55 watt bulb is maybe 20% brighter than the old stock 55 watt 9012 bulb, and about the same brightness as the (modified base) 9011 65 watt bulb I tried before having the TSB accomplished.

If the Vosla bulb dims over time, as some people have noticed it doing, I will go back to the (modified base) 9011 65 watt bulb. The only good news is that the Sylvania 9011 HIR bulbs have come down in price to around $19 at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-HIR1-9011-Headlight-Bulb-1-Pack-9011B1/203654601?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7c&gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9deXZvLsTZWBZKzGIQck9HS-_7nE7x5vlclfA3M3WoBoCgnrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know GM is a large investment company that happens to make cars and trucks, but I am disappointed they didn't do a better job with the headlights in the first place, but also again with the TSB. I mean, issuing the TSB proves they knew they had a problem, but it represents a cheap solution with minimal real improvement -- and may cause additional problems down the road, as the Vosla bulbs have a relatively short life span.

I had the TSB done on my Sierra over the summer of 2015 and by the end of the year I felt like they had gotten dimmer. If I had kept the truck I would have pursued HID's or LEDS. It's piss poor at best how GM did the projectors on the 14-15 trucks. The '16 Silverado looks to have the same projector design as my Sierra had and the difference is night and day.

I filed a NHTSA complaint about my Sierra's poor headlights tonight.

There are a lot of complaints on their web page about this already!

If you have this problem -- and everyone who owns a 2014/15 Sierra pretty much has this problem -- then I recommend you consider filing a complaint. All you need is the VIN. //www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

(I live in Virginia, not that far from the NHTSA offices in Washington, DC, and I mentioned in my complaint that I'd be glad to take them for a ride in my truck on a dark and stormy night, if that would help them validate the complaint).

If you have this problem -- and everyone who owns a 2014/15 Sierra pretty much has this problem -- then I recommend you consider filing a complaint. All you need is the VIN. //www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

(I live in Virginia, not that far from the NHTSA offices in Washington, DC, and I mentioned in my complaint that I'd be glad to take them for a ride in my truck on a dark and stormy night, if that would help them validate the complaint).

[/quote Been there, done that!]

Edited by WLC

I had the TSB done on my Sierra over the summer of 2015 and by the end of the year I felt like they had gotten dimmer. If I had kept the truck I would have pursued HID's or LEDS. It's piss poor at best how GM did the projectors on the 14-15 trucks. The '16 Silverado looks to have the same projector design as my Sierra had and the difference is night and day.

That is because of the higher voltage after the TSB, it is wearing out the bulbs quicker.

• Like 1

That is because of the higher voltage after the TSB, it is wearing out the bulbs quicker.

Is that partly to do to the fact the Vosla bulbs are rated for less life than the Phillips?

Or will that be true for any bulb?

Finding that the GMC isn't "professional grade" in regards to headlamp design.

On my drive into work this a.m. I swear the lights are worse than the original Phillips bulbs.

Headlight bulbs are designed to run at 14V. There was never enough volts from the BCM to the headlights to start with. The update just brought the voltage from 12 to 14.

• Like 1

Headlight bulbs are designed to run at 14V. There was never enough volts from the BCM to the headlights to start with. The update just brought the voltage from 12 to 14.

Oh I thought they were still the 12V with a higher voltage. Hmm I wonder what is causing the dimming over time.

Why might the Vosla bulb get dimmer over time?

The Vosla 28432 bulb specified in GMC TSB PIT5374 is Halogen Infrared Reflecting (HIR) technology. "The inside of the bulb has a coating that reflects the infrared energy back at the filament which causes the filament to run hotter and thus brighter without greater energy consumption..." Perhaps the increased heat affects the filament, or makes the the inside coating change over time.

How long will Vosla bulbs last?

Based on Vosla's Product Information Sheet, the Vosla 28432 bulb has a B3(h) life of 300 hours at 13.2V and 150 hours at 14.0V. It has a Tc(h) life of 500 hours at 13.2V and 250 hours at 14.0V. Source: http://www.vosla-german-lighting.com/upload/products/pdf/de/28432.pdf

What are B3(h) and Tc(h)? "For lamps, the manufacturers give two numbers: B3 and Tc. B3 indicates the minimum number of hours 97 percent of the lamps (i.e. virtually all) last. After this time elapses, the frequency of failure starts to increase. By the time the Tc value is reached, 63 percent of the lamps likely have failed." Source: http://www.carlightblog.com/2012/08/01/b3tc-or-how-long-does-a-halogen-lamp-last/

Comments:

1. The HIR technology might shorten the life of the Vosla 28432 bulb compared to a "normal" Halogen bulb.

2. If the TSB directs the BCM to increase the voltage to the headlights from a nominal 13.2V to 14V, the B3 and Tc life of the bulbs at 14V is cut in half from the values at 13.2V. Averaging 45 mph, with the lights on all the time, this means the bulbs will hit Tc(h) at 11,250 miles, e.g., 63% of the bulbs will have failed at that mileage.

Edited by SierraRover

Found this info on the Phillips 9012 HIR2, listing a Tc rating of 1400 hours.

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

Received a response from a Vosla rep, average life of their bulb that GM is putting in under the tsb is +/-220 hours.

Edited by Shredzy
  • Like 1

That is good info, totally in line with the data on the product info sheet. Unfortunately, 220 hours is only 9,900 miles at an average of 45 mph. Which is a fairly high "average" mph speed for typical driving.

So it appears there is a price for the higher heat (and claimed 30% in brightness) from the HIR bulbs. An indicator that GMC didn't put too much thought into solving this problem.

For the casual reader who wanders into this forum because you have problems with your Sierra headlights being dim, you shuld consider writing a letter to GMC to complain and, if you perceive your headlights cause a driving safety hazard, that you file a complaint with the NHTSA (or the equivalent in Canada, Transport Canada).

Or write directly to GMC:

In the U.S.:

GMC Customer Assistance Center

P.O. Box 33172
Detroit, MI 48232-5172

In Canada:

GM of Canada
1908 Colonel Sam
Oshawa, Ontario
L1H 8P7, Canada
Mail Code 163-005

Edited by SierraRover

That is good info, totally in line with the data on the product info sheet. Unfortunately, 220 hours is only 9,900 miles at an average of 45 mph. Which is a fairly high "average" mph speed for typical driving. Nice move GM, temp fix and hope the customer goes away! Now we had an additional cost to deal with, new bulbs every 200 or so hours

So it appears there is a price for the higher heat (and claimed 30% in brightness) from the HIR bulbs. An indicator that GMC didn't put too much thought into solving this problem.

For the casual reader who wanders into this forum because you have problems with your Sierra headlights being dim, you should consider writing a letter to GMC to complain and, if you perceive your headlights cause a driving safety hazard, that you file a complaint with the NHTSA (or the equivalent in Canada, Transport Canada). I did and their answer was talk with GM,I gathered they were not willing to do anything GM's answer was to get the "upgrade" ! When I said their solution did not work, they said that was all they were prepared to do

GM needs to get their act together and deal with a problem they have known about for sometime. As far as I am concerned this will be the last GM truck I will purchase. GM's response to that was basically they could care less.

Have you had the upgrade done?