Replacing Tires on my truck.

flyboyron

With my 09 Silverado now over the 60,000 mile mark and still with the stock tires, I think it's time to be looking for new tires.

You can see by the picture next to my post, that I have the 20" Chrome Clad rims with the stock tires.

I was thinking that I would like to put just a little larger tire (higher sidewall) to make the ride a little softer.

I read that you don't want to increase the tire size more than what will change your speedometer by around 1%.

Any ideas what size tire I should go with to get just a better ride, or should I maybe consider the same size tire but a different brand?

That's a ton of mileage for a stock tire! A little more sidewall would be a 275/60R20 and should fit with no modifications. With that tire size in a Toyo AT2 my speedo says 60 and I am really going 62, no biggie. Can't go wrong with Toyo/Nitto setup, good luck!

That's a ton of mileage for a stock tire! A little more sidewall would be a 275/60R20 and should fit with no modifications. With that tire size in a Toyo AT2 my speedo says 60 and I am really going 62, no biggie. Can't go wrong with Toyo/Nitto setup, good luck!

Flyboy, Ryan's suggestion shouldn't cause you any problems. And the two Mph differental is no biggie either. Btw, presumably you know that the "55 or 60" height numbers represents the percent of tire width. Example; width 275 X 60 percent = 165mm or about 6.5 inches. I concur that stepping up one size is probably harmless and btw that's all reputable tire dealers will do anyway. But, I'll give you two think-abouts; a taller side wall don't necessary give you a better ride whatever that means as there's lot of other variables in tire design and structure that will influence ride. Second, a taller tire being of a larger diameter requires more energy (fuel) to turn it and also will inhibit performance whether towing or coming off the line at traffic lights with urban cowboys and their Hemi's, !

Flyboy, Ryan's suggestion shouldn't cause you any problems. And the two Mph differental is no biggie either. Btw, presumably you know that the "55 or 60" height numbers represents the percent of tire width. Example; width 275 X 60 percent = 165mm or about 6.5 inches. I concur that stepping up one size is probably harmless and btw that's all reputable tire dealers will do anyway. But, I'll give you two think-abouts; a taller side wall don't necessary give you a better ride whatever that means as there's lot of other variables in tire design and structure that will influence ride. Second, a taller tire being of a larger diameter requires more energy (fuel) to turn it and also will inhibit performance whether towing or coming off the line at traffic lights with urban cowboys and their Hemi's, !

Thanks Snoringbear, as I was reading your reply I remembered, that years ago I had put a next size larger tire on my motorcycle, (which back then the speedometers actually ran 2 - 3 mph faster than they should) anyway, this tire did correct my speedometer, but also reduced my gas mileage. I noticed when I switched back to a stock tire that I got about 3 mpg better mileage. Not a lot on a motorcycle, but it does make a difference.

My Silverado has the 3:73 rear end so I would imagine that could drop my mileage down below 16 mpg.

Thanks, I may end up keeping the same size tire since I don't want any less mileage.

I just went out and measured the tires. I actually have 5/32 total left, including the 2/32 of wear bar area.

I checked the Goodyear website and it says these Eagle LS2 20" tires come with 11/32 tread.

So I think in 60,000 miles these are just a little more than 1/2 way worn.

I would only expect to get another 10,000 miles because I believe they wear faster as they get worn down.

Archived