Michelin LTX M/S 2 tire

I'm hoping to get a set of Michelin's. The winter Michelin's brought my truck to a vibration free state so hoping a set of summers will do the same. I think Michelin have better QC and thus put out a better tire. With such a tight RF balance spec on these trucks its hard to get most tire manufactures to work. At least that's been the case on my truck.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you folks carrying the OEM spare instead of buying 5 Michelin tires?

Yes. For the same reason as Donstar.

It's been over 20 years since I needed to install a spare, and I was close enough to home that I could go back and do it in the shop.

(I've had slow leakers due to nails etc that needed plugs, but didn't require installation of the spare.)

Excellent feedback on the Michelin tires - I may go ahead and spend the money now instead of waiting until the OEM tires wear out. Although the dealer will sell me Michelin tires, any perks (like flat repairs, free balancing, etc) that I get from a national chain would be missing if I bought from the dealer and either moved or needed help on a trip.

Not sure what tread type you prefer, but if you are considering Michelin, look at both the LTX MS2 and the LTX AT2.

I replaced the Goodyear 20 inch RS/A (?) that came n my Denali ($200 option RC7 for off-road tire) with Michelin LTX M/S 2 and had GY pay 1/2 the price. I had shaking with the oem GY's on my truck. Dealer road force balanced them 2x and it still shook. 1st time the tech gave it the bums rush and I complained it was worse and they put an experienced tech on it. Local GY dealer was having a big tire sale with reps from GY, Bridgestone, Firestone on site. Took the truck in and the owner, whom I have known for 20 yrs took personal interest in my problem. He balanced the GY's for free, then we took a test drive and they still shook. Go back to the store and he lays into the GY rep about he (and the GMC dealer) can't balance the tires on this guys $60,000 GM truck and he is upset, yadda yadda. He told me to just wait outside and he would take care see what he could do. She lloed over the tires and then authorized him to give me credit for the tires. He then ordered me Michelin's unbeknownst to the rep as I had told him that;s all I would accept. Tires came in days later and he applied the $480 GY credit to my Michelin purchase. It took about 2-3 oz to balance the GY when he and the dealer did it but none of the Michelin's have over 1-oz and it rides smooth. No more shaking. He told me he has seen a lot of complaints with the 20-inch GY but not with the other sizes. He called it a cheap tire.

PS - I had no problem with the LTX M/S2 this winter and we get lots of snow. .

I replaced the Goodyear 20 inch RS/A (?) that came n my Denali ($200 option RC7 for off-road tire) with Michelin LTX M/S 2 and had GY pay 1/2 the price. I had shaking with the oem GY's on my truck. Dealer road force balanced them 2x and it still shook. 1st time the tech gave it the bums rush and I complained it was worse and they put an experienced tech on it. Local GY dealer was having a big tire sale with reps from GY, Bridgestone, Firestone on site. Took the truck in and the owner, whom I have known for 20 yrs took personal interest in my problem. He balanced the GY's for free, then we took a test drive and they still shook. Go back to the store and he lays into the GY rep about he (and the GMC dealer) can't balance the tires on this guys $60,000 GM truck and he is upset, yadda yadda. He told me to just wait outside and he would take care see what he could do. She lloed over the tires and then authorized him to give me credit for the tires. He then ordered me Michelin's unbeknownst to the rep as I had told him that;s all I would accept. Tires came in days later and he applied the $480 GY credit to my Michelin purchase. It took about 2-3 oz to balance the GY when he and the dealer did it but none of the Michelin's have over 1-oz and it rides smooth. No more shaking. He told me he has seen a lot of complaints with the 20-inch GY but not with the other sizes. He called it a cheap tire.

PS - I had no problem with the LTX M/S2 this winter and we get lots of snow. .

Thanks for the review. The LTX M/S2 is the only light truck tire Michelin carries in 22". Hopefully I can talk the dealer into these. Every time I see the service manager I do a herky jerky shakey thing (me mimicking driving the vibrater :ughdance: ) I think he's gettin the picture.

I have a set of 20" Michelin Defenders on my now (4 months old) and they're the best tires I've owned in a while. Great in rain, good in snow(what little we've gotten this season) and awesome on the highway.

Been mulling over a set of these for sometime. Just worried they aren't going to look that good on my 20" AT wheels because they are not aggressive at all. Anyone have any pics of these mounted ?

Been mulling over a set of these for sometime. Just worried they aren't going to look that good on my 20" AT wheels because they are not aggressive at all. Anyone have any pics of these mounted ?

Non aggressive = better efficiency = better mileage = quite ride and better handling.

Non aggressive = better efficiency = better mileage = quite ride and better handling.

I'm fully with you on all of those things. Just curious as to how they will look mounted up. The stock SRAs are pretty plain Jane so I imagine much of the same.

Archived