Truck Bed Tent for camping?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good truck bed tent for a decent price? I saw one at sportsmans guide for $79.00, but reviews are bad. Target has one for $179.00. But maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy one from Cabelas or something. Any recommendations for one of these tents? Thanks

I have a Napier tent and it is really nice and super easy to put up. The one thing this getting the straps under the tailgate and around is a little tricky just because the space is so small. I got it off amazon796a4df9cb847a5c493f60e128d9b364.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From the Chevrolet site:

Truck Tent - Associated Accessories

SPORTZ Truck Tent by Napier in Gray, Blue and Black. Use this lightweight, water-resistant nylon Sports Tent to convert your Silverado 1500 in minutes. Designed specifically to fit your pickup bed, it features a form-fitted waterproof floor that extends on to the open tailgate to give you additional functional space. Non-GM warranty. Warranty by Napier Outdoors. For information, call (800) 567-2434. Fits crew cab models with a 5' 8 bed. Available colors: Gray, Blue and Black.

I have a tent from Rightline and love it. The straps go over the paint like any other bed tent does, but even after trail riding and having my truck dirty as hell, combined with a very windy night and no cleaning of the truck (i cringed the entire night) I was extremely happy a few days later when i cleaned the truck and found that the tent did not cause any scratches.

this is from one of the days I was camping, not the day I mentioned above as the truck was much muddier

EC5C6F7A-D0E2-4B86-B43F-C6667AA8E1EF_zps

Edited by Mike1220

bdsilverado does have a point with the straps. The straps do have a bit of soft elastic on the inside to stretch so that helps but when we actually go camping we bring a pack a micro fiber clothes to slide between the straps and paint because i was worried about it scratching also.

sdoyle: i think it was around 150$ it has 2 large windows on the sides (one on each side) and the rain tent ( which is on in the picture)

Thanks for the input guys! I just bought the Napier on Amazon for 165. Cabelas had it for $259. I am so pumped to go camping now! Do y'all put air mattresses in the tent? My wife is thinking that's what we're gonna do, but not sure if it will work of not. If not she can sleep outside on the mattress lol.

• Like 1

Personally I have a bedrug in the bed of my truck, that plus a thick sleeping bag and I'm happy. blow up mattresses are a great idea but the execution can suck if you carry anything in the bed, will have to remove everything from the bed to use it

From my experience camping air mattresses are a bad Idea, If you want something get a true inflatable sleeping pad like a thermarest.

When I was doing a lot of camping from my truck and horse trailer, I found a oversize cowboy bedroll style of waxed canvas and put a Costco 3" foam futon in it along with my sleeping bag. I could sleep on a pile of rocks with that setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks that queen size air mattress fit perfect in the bed. The tent was great! Very easy to set up, and no scratches like I was worried about. We had a great time at Loyd Park on Joe Pool Lake in Grand Prairie, TX. Thanks for all the replys, they really helped me out!

post-154120-0-69142600-1459439779_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...