Frame rust... Need advice

My dad just picked up an 02 2500hd with the 8.1 vortec. The truck was a old mans truck that only has 48,000. It's fully loaded and pretty much flawless except for the frame. I got up underneath it today and I was pretty surprised with the amount of rust on the frame. The front control arms have a good bit of surface rust, but it gets bad back behind the cab. Some parts of the frame including the rear axle have some pretty decent scale going on, rubbing my finger across the frame will knock some scale off the frame. It's supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow and I'm wondering what would be the best way to treat some of this rust tomorrow. Or should I just get rid of the truck? Thanks guys.

Get some Chassis Saver or POR15. I went with Chassis Saver myself. All you do with it is knock off all the loose rust, and wire brush the frame. Then you can apply it right over top of the rust. It's supposed to seal it off.

54f9fc41080091a0666748742960304a.jpg

Here's my frame before:

8da891200094c2cc68d7c6a3c0a6a53d.jpg

My frame after some Chassis Saver:

12b4c429c94f02513a1e4b9f133d9146.jpg

If you are going to be able to take it apart some to get at stuff, do what Daryl has done. I use that stuff and its great.

If you are NOT taking it apart, use what Sdeeter above has recomended as it never dries and can be blasted into all sorts of places.

BUT 1st, you MUST look at the ABS brake block on the inside of the frame, DS under the DS floor. This brake unit and lines are known for rusting out. This should be fixed FIRST before any rust work on frame is done. Do it now before the brakes give out.

Good luck!!

Daryl... > Chassis saver on brake drums is the Cats ASS! You can make them last for ever! Looks great @!

I'll have to paint them the next time I have the wheels off then. I was thinking about painting them black anyhow.

I got up under the truck today with a grinder and knocked out a bunch or rust with the grinder. The frame actually cleaned up pretty well except for around the gas tank. Gonna try to get an air hammer and knock some more of the rust loose.

And Daryl, how's your truck holding up after painting the frame? And what year is that truck?

I got up under the truck today with a grinder and knocked out a bunch or rust with the grinder. The frame actually cleaned up pretty well except for around the gas tank. Gonna try to get an air hammer and knock some more of the rust loose.

And Daryl, how's your truck holding up after painting the frame? And what year is that truck?

It's holding up really well. Been through two winters now since I've redone it. I put three coats on it whenever I painted it.

I still have to do the front yet, and i plan on taking care of that whenever I replace my torsion bar bushings. My truck is a 2006, 239k miles on it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option,is to have it sprayed with something like fluid film or oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Actually, if you want stuff to come apart you use oil. It might be a mess to work on, but I bet I can get every bolt loose on my 2012 without breaking a sweat.

The diesel guy who did the work on my Dodge cringed when he heard it was a northern truck, and was amazed that every single bolt came loose pulling the trans for the clutch at 200k...afterwards, he brought a spare change of clothes when ever I brought the truck in for work. Sold that 2004 truck with 300k, it had less rust than this 2012 that replaced it with only 70k miles.

The only thing about oil is that it requires commitment, you need to spray it every year or every other year at a minimum.

If you are going to be able to take it apart some to get at stuff, do what Daryl has done. I use that stuff and its great.

If you are NOT taking it apart, use what Sdeeter above has recomended as it never dries and can be blasted into all sorts of places.

BUT 1st, you MUST look at the ABS brake block on the inside of the frame, DS under the DS floor. This brake unit and lines are known for rusting out. This should be fixed FIRST before any rust work on frame is done. Do it now before the brakes give out.

Good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived