Cell phone mount for the card slot holder above the headlight switch

FYI I used a flat cord and was able to route it between the lower dash pad and vent surround. Remove the left fuse cover for access if you decide to do this.

IMG_3327_zpslpq1xw14.jpg

I'll have to try this out for the cable. Up until now, I've only been in the truck for less time than the remaining battery life on my phone. I can see that adding the cable would be useful for longer drives, especially when I'm using Waze or streaming music over bluetooth.

Is there a diy on routing the cable? Just ordered the mount yesterday. Not sure if it's just my iPhone but I've had the 6 since it came out and it's finicky with chargers and would hate to route it and have to redo it a couple months later.

Is there a diy on routing the cable? Just ordered the mount yesterday. Not sure if it's just my iPhone but I've had the 6 since it came out and it's finicky with chargers and would hate to route it and have to redo it a couple months later.

No DIY video or anything like that - once you pick where you will be plugging it into then route it behind the dash and get under the steering wheel to see how to route it to the side panel.

I used a couple of wire ties along the way to keep it from moving around.

The left side panel pulls off with a little force once you get it started. I used a plastic molding pry tool.

Once you have the panel off you can tuck in your cable into the gap between the light switch surround and the lower dash.

As for chargers not working, I recommend get a 12v to usb adapter and separate MFi certified cable so that if the adapter goes out you can just swap it without having to route a new cable.

The MFi certified cable will avoid it becoming obsolete when Apple updates your IOS.

Belkin-USB-Charger.jpg

First part of this video might help

No DIY video or anything like that - once you pick where you will be plugging it into then route it behind the dash and get under the steering wheel to see how to route it to the side panel.

I used a couple of wire ties along the way to keep it from moving around.

The left side panel pulls off with a little force once you get it started. I used a plastic molding pry tool.

Once you have the panel off you can tuck in your cable into the gap between the light switch surround and the lower dash.

As for chargers not working, I recommend get a 12v to usb adapter and separate MFi certified cable so that if the adapter goes out you can just swap it without having to route a new cable.

The MFi certified cable will avoid it becoming obsolete when Apple updates your IOS.

Belkin-USB-Charger.jpg

First part of this video might help

Thanks, I'll check it out. It also looks like you have an actual center console whereas I have the middle seat. Hmm I'll be taking a look after work, thanks again.

Yes also this truck has three USB ports in front of the console so I'm actually using one of those for power. This lets it talk with the radio also.

Just as an update after a week. The mount is working great and is in the perfect spot in my opinion. It seems to be very solidly mounted and does not shake alot while I am driving, it is definitely a good upgrade for $20.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

I liked this so much I took it one step further. My 2016 has a USB outlet in the glove box. I took the glovebox out and disconnected that USB from the holder (left the white piece is so it still looks finished). I added a USB extension cable (pretty cheap on amazon). Then I took the trim off around the radio and routed the cable to the steering wheel. From there, I ran it under the bottom of the dash toward the driver's door. Then I took off the fuse panel and popped off the piece where the slot is. I drilled a 3/8" hole right below the card slot. I plugged my lightning cable into to USB extension and routed up and through the 3/8" hole. Then I trimmed the whole with a Morris 22362 Snap Bushing to cover to rough hole and keep the lightning adapter from falling through the hole. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDFFW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

NOW MY APPLE CARPLAY WORKS FROM THIS MOUNT!

I can give more details if anyone is interested in a more custom solution for the cable.

IMG 2299

IMG 2298

IMG 2296

Here is the final Pic. I used this mount form Amazon. It is magnetic-based, which I prefer because it has a very small footprint and I don't use a case for my iphone. This mount is the perfect width for the slot. I just had to take some of the rubber off of the thickness of the tabs.

Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016GNYZIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG 0185

• 1 year later...

Archived