Best aggressive looking winter/ all terrain tires.

Goodyear Duratrac's 100% have had 2 sets on old trucks only reason I haven't put them on this one is the General Grabber AT2's I got were a steal. They're pretty good too, just not on the level of the duratracs and don't look as sexy. The duratracs are awesome in deeper snow and wear like steal. They aren't easily destroyed, only tire I've run with out getting flats on the regular (I drive on blasted ledge haul roads about 40% of the time)

I just swapped to them in December, but I will run them year round. They make more road noise than stock, but it's not very loud. They also improved the ride of my 2500...little more give in the sidewall. Road noise is most prominent between 30 and 35 mph then it substantially goes away. Last pro I'll throw out there....it also removed the very minimal vibration I had with the stock tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, a search could have turned up all the answers you are looking for as this is one of the most asked questions. Second, asking people about the best tire will be one of two tires, either the tire they own or the new hottest tire. Currently the new must have tire is the KO2's.

Looks are up to you, what some think look good others don't. There is also a large price discrepancy between some tires and load ranges, need to decide what you need. Are you looking for a E load tire to always hit trails and are not as susceptible to cuts and will hit your mpg or a DD tire with occasional off road and will keep a reasonable amount of mpg and road manners? Do you care about road noise? What is your cost? A BFG is one of the most expensive (really an over rated tire not worth the price over others that perform the same for much less IMO) as opposed to a Cooper AT3 or Genera Grabber AT2 (which is snow rated). Then you can go hybrid tires like the cooper st pro or duratrac, even more noise and give up some more road manners (think dry handling and hard packed ice/snow) for a more towards mud AT tire.

Larger void tires will do worse on road handling, mpg and hard packed slick ice/snow but will do better in the deep stuff, mud and looks (usually). So many options and choices, just search and see what others have to say. Chances are any question you want to ask has been asked regarding this, including using google and seeing other truck forum members options...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 1

Chalk up another vote for DuraTrac's (LT/E 275/70/18) - I've had mine on for the last 10,xxx miles with no issues and nice even wear. Road noise is definitely increasing with wear but nothing obnoxious. I run mine year round and have had them in all sorts of weather/terrain and have been happy.

• Like 1

I dont have them, but have heard plenty of good reviews of the Toyo RT's

When I get new tires, I will more than likely get either Duratracs, RT's or the KO2's. I know the duratracs come with a 50k mile tread wear warranty. Not sure about the others.

Just to Note: the Goodyear Duratrac's are now Snow tire rated as well as the BFG's I also didn't need any lift to use the Duratrac's as they come in the OEM size.

There good in the snow I keep forgetting to turn on the 4x4 then start to play in the snow and realize it's off ha ha.

You're kinda issuing a contradictory question/statement.

I have posted about this before- what are good tires for the snow? Surprise surprise, SNOW tires!!! Not "all terrains", not "all seasons", not "mud and snow" etc

Sorry they may not "look cool" - but it's not just aggressive tread design that equates to a good winter tire- real snow tires have about 10-20x the sipes, deeper sipes, MUCH softer rubber compound, and rubber compound that will maintain grip & traction in MUCH colder weather than any other tire type.

I have run hankooks icebears, Bridgestone blizzaks (studded and non studded), and currently run a dedicated Michelin snow tire on my sierra - forget the name. I wouldn't run anything other than dr's @ the 1/4 mile or R compound tires @ the road course in my Z06, nor would I expect a generic "performance" tire to perform anywhere close to the aforementioned purpose built tires. In the Same light you shouldn't expect a "catch all" tire to perform like a dedicated snow tire in winter.

I'll run the "tough looking" BFGs the rest of the year, but during the winter I prefer to be able to stop, handle, steer and turn like I would in dry conditions and better than anything else on the road so run snows.

It's not worth raging one way or the other- it's proven fact they'll perform significantly better than anything else, like I said above- compare a performance car @ a track on slicks vs one on "performance tire" and see what's better.

I'll be waving @ the guys in the ditch on their all terrain tires as I cruise by @ 60 in 4WD hi in New England blizzard conditions passing highway plows like a boss just like I did last year in the record snow fall we had!!

If you can only run 1 tire though, everything I've heard about the BFG TA KO2 seems like they are well regarded as a "do everything" tire for trucks....but if you can swing a snow tire setup and you live in an area that gets cold temps & winter weather for extended periods of time then I would highly recommend it.

Plus side is that your tougher AT/MT setup will last much longer too!

Edited by crushNchowda