How-to/write-up on separating & reassembling GMC headlights?

I followed the retrofitsource and used Klearz smoked lens to mine. The most important part of taking them apart in my opinion is patience. You don’t want to pry too much and start bending the cavity where the lens sits because then you might have problems with sealing the back properly. Just take your time and don’t worry if you have to keep putting them back in the oven they will come apart a little a time.90dfa99a7282d36b13d575778109b0a0.jpg8a117b74fbf88a4d8893389f17d03a6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Definitely you have to keep the temp up as permaseal doesn’t soften. It isn’t a normal butyl type sealant. If you pry on channel you can use a heat gun and shape it back into shape but all In all its the plastic channel that will allow you to get to where the lense is to take off.

I havent done new truck lights but I prefer using a heat gun on my 04 yukon. Did a quad projector retrofit on it. Just heat the seam with a heat gun and once it's hot start spreading with a screw driver or a plastic pry tool. 

Has anyone considered just smoking the amber lens like a lot of people do with the entire headlight assembly, taillights, etc.? Or just leave a small vertical strip of amber on the outside and smoke the rest? I wouldn't mind the amber lens if it wasn't so bulky. Completely removing the lens does look good, but I'm back and forth with the idea because it also looks like something is missing.

ca36a744747da0edc73ba183807431c3.jpg

• 3 years later...

OLD thread but was hoping to find someone in DFW-Austin, Texas area or in between that has done this. I have a set that has been previously modified and I need to open them and make some corrections.  I don't think I have the patience to not eff them up in an oven... LOL 

How hot is the light when getting out of the oven?  How are you handling them?

switchbacks.zip

IMG_7444.jpg

Edited by 2015 High Miler