Bilstein shocks vs RC lift package?

zback

I've put bilstein shocks on many vehicles in the past (GTO, G8 GT, Z06, & Silverado - but not leveling ones) and can attest they are THE best shock for the $$ out there and I always find that they improved the ride, and that the ride quality remains the same relatively speaking for basically the "life" of the vehicle, compared to many OEM shocks that crap out after 20,30,40,000 miles

Because of this experience and what I've read on this & other forums on the leveling shocks I opted to go w/ the 5100's and also a ready lift 2.25" rear block kit - I am also adding the rear blocks because I want to maintain some level of rake - I don't want any sagging w/ heavy loads/towing - and the 5100's allow for up to 1" more lift in the rear anyhow on our truck application - why not?

Billys ran me $365 shipped all 4 corners & the rear block kit $96 shipped (usually $150 or so got a good deal on Jet.com)

There's a thread here someplace and someone posted a very detailed link explaining how the bilsteins work much better than a block kit, but think about it: $150-$200 on a $50,0000+ vehicle for some chintzy-a$$ plastic or AL or FE spacers and a few bolts that WILL cause issues w/ your ball joints etc. or $365 for quality shocks that also improve ride quality, will last the life of the truck, and bonus - they're stainless steel and don't rust.

No brainer to me.

Curious about this as well. These were pretty much the two options I was looking at, as I wanted right at 2" lift in front.

Hearing a lot of great things about the Bilsteins, and same for me, I would rather spend a little bit more to get the superior ride quality.

The Bilsteins are definitely the way to go if you want to do it right and have the truck handle, corner, stop, etc. better. Have had them on my truck for approx. a year and I'm very glad I went this route!

They raise it 1.85 inches at max setting. Trucks vary by height difference buy my truck is 2.5 inches taller in the back than the front with stock suspension.

Do the Bilsteins allow for a less than max setting of 1.85"? Say, if I wanted to only raise it 1", or 1.25", is there an adjustment for that?

Some people have measured and showed 2" lift (on this forum) - and I thought they may "settle" some, to which many replied "NO" others measured 1.75" and others 1.87"

Suffice it to say you'll get between 1.75-2" @ max setting. THere are 3 settings for the fronts.

Tnchevy is correct the stock ride height is approximately 2-2.5" higher in the rear, but there's only a 1.25" block stock, so if you go w/ the billys @ max setting in front and you're on the lower end stock in the rear it is indeed "level" and may appear like the front is now higher (perception not reality) - however adding weight in the back or towing you will see a sagging rear, which is why like I said may want to swap out for a 1" higher block setting in the rear - ONLY if you plan on running the billys @ max setting.

Archived