Gibson Headers?

I've already installed an Airaid MIT and Borla Catback Exhaust. Now I'm considering adding headers. In the $500-ish price range, it's looking like Gibson offers a descent product. If anyone has experience with Gibson Headers, please offer your opinions. I'm also open to other options in that general price range.

I think the general consensus is that shorty headers are a waste of money. Your better off getting a set of long tubes and have custom exhaust work done.

Thanks for the response, but why are shorts a waste of money, while longs are not?

From what I've read, Longs build power from mid-to-high RPM, while Shorts build power from idle-to-mid RPM.

Is this incorrect?

Thanks for the response, but why are shorts a waste of money, while longs are not?

From what I've read, Longs build power from mid-to-high RPM, while Shorts build power from idle-to-mid RPM.

Is this incorrect?

That may be true, but Im not sure. I really dont know a lot about it, just what I have picked up from being on forums for years

That's cool. I did some more reading and watched a couple info videos.

The general consensus is definitely that Longs do give better overall Mid & Top end performance, at the expense of custom exhaust work.

The Shorts are easy bolt on to the factory exhaust and are better suited to bottom end performance, which makes sense for towing and hauling. Those with an existing catback exhaust, also say it enhanced their exhaust note a bit too.

I'm a little on the fence about it. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has had Shorts installed their 5.3L Silverado/Sierra.

Not going to be many on here with shorties. Most go for the kooks or ARH long tubes. If you want im the 500ish dollar range you could look at the pacesetter lomg tubes. They are an economic long tube but the long term quality is questionable. Some have had them for years and not had issues but others have. Like with anything there is always someone who has problems with even the best of products. I went with ARH because stainless..... And sexy AF lol mostly because stainless sonve my whole exhaust will be stainless.

I cant wait to get it all done. The ones i got are 1 7/8" catless headers. Since i plan on adding a whipple soon.

I wouldn't waste my money on shorty headers. Very few people run them, they provide very small if any gains in power. You can still run whatever catback you want with longtubes, they come with the y-pipe that connects to the stock or aftermarket exhaust.

That's cool. I did some more reading and watched a couple info videos.

The general consensus is definitely that Longs do give better overall Mid & Top end performance, at the expense of custom exhaust work.

The Shorts are easy bolt on to the factory exhaust and are better suited to bottom end performance, which makes sense for towing and hauling. Those with an existing catback exhaust, also say it enhanced their exhaust note a bit too.

I'm a little on the fence about it. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has had Shorts installed their 5.3L Silverado/Sierra.

This is exactly what I was told by Banks Engineering when I put their PowerPack system on my 2011 Silverado. It was designed for higher low end torque and included shorty headers, Monsther exhaust, Ram-Air CAI, and programmer. It worked well. Years ago, I put a Banks PowerPack system on a 2500 Suburban but that one included long tube headers to help with overall mid and top end performance of the 454ci engine, again mainly for towing since it already had great low end. It also included a complete exhaust system.

I wouldn't waste my money on shorty headers. Very few people run them, they provide very small if any gains in power. You can still run whatever catback you want with longtubes, they come with the y-pipe that connects to the stock or aftermarket exhaust.

So you're saying that Long Headers would be a direct bolt on to my Borla exhaust?

That contradicts what I've been hearing. I've been hearing that Longs will not bolt onto a factory exhaust, and require a custom exhaust. Am I missing something here?

I can't speak for anything other than Kooks, because that's what is on my truck, but yes as long as you get their Y pipe it will bolt right up to your stock catback.

So you're saying that Long Headers would be a direct bolt on to my Borla exhaust?

That contradicts what I've been hearing. I've been hearing that Longs will not bolt onto a factory exhaust, and require a custom exhaust. Am I missing something here?

ARH, KOOKS, Stainless Works will all bolt up to a stock or catback system.

RT

lol....no,......dont ever leave it stock....EVER

I knew that was coming from someone..

I just like my stuff to be nice and quiet, I use to put exhaust on everything I own. Guess I'm just getting old.

GM put a lot of effort in to making this truck nice riding and quiet. I love it!

But with headers and exhaust it would sound pretty awesome.

Archived