Tekonsha P3 wiring with GM provided harness ?

JrocK817

Has anyone used the factory harness provided by GM with the harness that comes with the P3?

I wired mine up yesterday, matched the colors. Blue, Red, Black, White. Plugged the unit in and still has no power. The wire gauge did not match for the black and white wires (smaller on the GM harness) but didn't think that would make a difference.

Could it be a fuse maybe? I don't want to buy the "plug and play" harness from Tekonsha if I don't have to.

(Installing on a 2015 Silverado 1500. Dont have the factory harness part # handy)

On my 09 I did not have a plug had to find the wires under the dash in wire loom and wire them up that way and under the hood by the big fuse box and wire them up and add a fuse there are some videos on line that show you where to look for them at I think there are some on etrailer.com

I probably should have paid a bit more attention to the wiring diagram before connecting the harnesses..

For anyone looking to use the GM plug provided with the tow package and the generic Tekonsha plug :

GM Red to Tekonsha Black = Power

GM Black to Tekonsha White = Ground

GM White to Tekonsha Red = Brake Signal

GM Blue to Tekonsha Blue = Controller output to Brakes

• 3 weeks later...

Archived