2014 6A (6L80) Transmission Fluid/Filter Change

I'm soon approaching my 45,000-mile transmission fluid & filter change. Has anyone already tackled this yet? Any tips? How much Dexron VI will I need to have to do a complete fluid change?

I've done this procedure a couple of times on a 4L60 and I needed about 12 quarts on hand. Is the 6L80 the same? Anyone have a PDF of the factory service manual procedure for this?

I've got a vacuum pump to pull fluid from the pan before I drop it. I hear the 8-speeds don't even have a dipstick tube, so if anyone wants to post the procedure for them... Do it!

You'll have to drop the y pipe a little bit. Other than that it's basically the same as a 4L60E

How many quarts did you need? And by "drop" the pipe, I assume you used a crowbar or something to pull it down for clearance, right?

How many quarts did you need? And by "drop" the pipe, I assume you used a crowbar or something to pull it down for clearance, right?

No I actually pulled all 6 of the nuts on the y pipe attaching it to the manifolds. And I can't remember how many quarts, believe I had 12 on hand

No I actually pulled all 6 of the nuts on the y pipe attaching it to the manifolds. And I can't remember how many quarts, believe I had 12 on hand

Was that as much of a PITA as it sounds like it is? From looking at mine, I'm thinking I can get away with dropping the pan without touching the y-pipe.

I will say no wonder our transmission temps typically run as high as they do. The damn y-pipe as close as it is has to be adding btus to that fluid!

Was that as much of a PITA as it sounds like it is? From looking at mine, I'm thinking I can get away with dropping the pan without touching the y-pipe.

I will say no wonder our transmission temps typically run as high as they do. The damn y-pipe as close as it is has to be adding btus to that fluid!

It's actually not if you have a good impact gun extensions and impact knuckle.

You do have to drop it, I thought the same way you did, because some of the internals in the tranny drop into that portion of the pan.

I've replaced the 4L60E in my 02 about 4 times so what I believe to be easy may not be so for others considering my mechanical history

Archived