coolant filter kit

FL335i

Has anyone figured out how to put a spin on type coolant filter on the new 1500's? I've always been a fan of having a coolant filter. I drive 30k/yr, planning on keeping my truck as long as possible (work truck) as it's a cost for doing business. A small NAPA plain coolant filter is what I need. I looked at the two small hoses that go th the exp tank and with the truck running did not see them flowing. Granted the truck was cold. In my old F250 6.0 that was the hoses we tapped.

• 5 months later...

DONE. Completed the coolant filter kit install this weekend at 40,015 miles. My overflow tank has started showing crud growth on the walls in merely 40k and 16 months. And if you shine a flashlight into the tank you can see debris floating around. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I went ahead and built my own kit. I will post pics parts etc in a day or two.

DONE. Completed the coolant filter kit install this weekend at 40,015 miles. My overflow tank has started showing crud growth on the walls in merely 40k and 16 months. And if you shine a flashlight into the tank you can see debris floating around. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I went ahead and built my own kit. I will post pics parts etc in a day or two.

Start a thread in the "How to" forum when you post the info.

10-4 Fellers. I'll detail the parts, pieces, costs etc. All I know if that debris or left over sand casting cannot help water pump life. I have $115 wrapped up into this kit. I could of gone cheaper on the ball valves, but went for the gusto. 316SST ball valves. I've been on BITOG for a few years now and seen a lot of pics of cooling system filters picking up a lot of debris. More than one would think. Plus I don't want to R&R the heater core in my '14. I just did the heater core job on my '89 K5 Jimmy and was hating life. Next thing I want to check my '14 for is electrolysis. That doesn't help heater cores either...

Glad to hear Lunch_Box. From what I've seen from other filters being taken apart I would think so also. The 2 weeks I've had mine on has proved to cleanup the overflow a lot. Just shining a flashlight into the overflow has shown a difference.

Archived