Potts's Brownstone Silverado 1500 LTZ Build

Potts

I just picked up a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ in Brownstone - 5.3L 6-Speed with 3.42 gears. I found this forum immensely helpful in aiding my decision. It came down to the Chevy and the Dodge (I wasn't interested in having a turbo in a truck so Ford was out in my book) and after a few test drives the choice was clear. The Ram interior is certainly nice, but the cocoa/dune leather in the Silverado is simply gorgeous. I also hated the transmission in the Dodge with the Hemi - sure the exhaust note is awesome stock in the Ram - but going through 1st to 3rd the Ram felt horrible. Anyway, enough about that. I obviously bought the Chevy and I'll never look back - I am in love with the truck.

A couple thoughts about some things I read here that had me nervous about the Silverado before purchasing. The AFM system, as far as I'm concerned is butter smooth and I love it. Yes, I can tell sometimes when it's in the middle of a switch depending on timing and if I am jumping on the throttle, but more often than I not if it weren't for the indicator on the dash, I'd have no idea it switched. The MyLink system - coming out of a wrangler with the UConnect system, I LOVE the setup. It does what I want, how I want it, and has so far performed flawlessly (knocking on wood). I'm a little peeved about the expensive map updates, but will likely only update every couple of years to save costs, and can always bluetooth google maps on my phone if I am not sure about the directions being provided. The 6-Speed - I love it. I wanted the 6.2L but didn't want the 8-Speed nor did I need the towing capabilities, so I'm glad I went with the 5.3L. I'm glad I got the 3.42 rear though - mated with the 5.3 and the 6-speed its got plenty of get up and go, passing power, and it's butter smooth pretty much all of the time.

On to the build...this build will be slow going as I have baby #2 on the way, and I'll have to do what I can when I can, but I wanted to start a thread to keep track of my build and to share what I've done to my truck.

First Mods on the way - Pics will follow soon:

1 - Driver Assist Handle - To me this is a must have. I'm 5'8" and hate grabbing the steering wheel when climbing in. Without running boards (which I don't want for better ground clearance) it's a must have for me. It's been ordered and I should be installing it this week.

2 - 13" Antenna X stubby antenna. I've already caught the massive stock antenna on some trees on the tighter roads around here and don't want it whacking the paint or the windshield. Also going in this week.

Next Up:

3 - Cargo Lights on with Puddle Lamps Mod & Fogs on with High Beams

4 - Folding Tonneau Cover - Currently looking at the Tyger Tri-Fold. My buddy has one on his silverado and really likes it. I really like the BakFlip with the foldable toolbox option but it sounds like their customer service is horrible and the reliability isn't that great.

5 - Bed Protection - still researching but might go with the WeatherTec bed mat or LineX. I like the no slip grip of a rubber mat for stopping cargo from sliding around, but I like the complete protection of the LineX - I just don't like the permanence of the LineX. Also considering a complete bed rug, but I'm getting into hunting and want to be able to toss a deer in the back so that option might be out.

6 - Moveable tie downs - looking at the Bull Rings set of 9

Wish List:

1 - Amber Roof Marker Lights

2 - Aftermarket Wheels - Possibly Black, thinking of a black and tan theme

3 - Winch - Not sure how to go about this just yet. I like the idea of a hidden winch which is what I planned to do to my wrangler, but I can't see how this can be done with the grill/bumper setup on my LTZ

4 - Lift - 2" Leveling Lift or a complete setup with upgraded shocks.

That's all I've got for now. I'm loving this forum - great bunch of folks here. I hope to be able to add to the wealth of knowledge y'all have. I'll keep this up to date as I progress.

Peace!

post-148225-0-34969500-1442869014_thumb.jpg

Thanks for moving this to wherever was the proper place... As far as the 2015 Silverado went it looked like there were only three sub forums so I thought this was the most appropriate. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ in Brownstone - 5.3L 6-Speed with 3.42 gears. I found this forum immensely helpful in aiding my decision. It came down to the Chevy and the Dodge (I wasn't interested in having a turbo in a truck so Ford was out in my book) and after a few test drives the choice was clear. The Ram interior is certainly nice, but the cocoa/dune leather in the Silverado is simply gorgeous. I also hated the transmission in the Dodge with the Hemi - sure the exhaust note is awesome stock in the Ram - but going through 1st to 3rd the Ram felt horrible. Anyway, enough about that. I obviously bought the Chevy and I'll never look back - I am in love with the truck.

A couple thoughts about some things I read here that had me nervous about the Silverado before purchasing. The AFM system, as far as I'm concerned is butter smooth and I love it. Yes, I can tell sometimes when it's in the middle of a switch depending on timing and if I am jumping on the throttle, but more often than I not if it weren't for the indicator on the dash, I'd have no idea it switched. The MyLink system - coming out of a wrangler with the UConnect system, I LOVE the setup. It does what I want, how I want it, and has so far performed flawlessly (knocking on wood). I'm a little peeved about the expensive map updates, but will likely only update every couple of years to save costs, and can always bluetooth google maps on my phone if I am not sure about the directions being provided. The 6-Speed - I love it. I wanted the 6.2L but didn't want the 8-Speed nor did I need the towing capabilities, so I'm glad I went with the 5.3L. I'm glad I got the 3.42 rear thought - mated with the 5.3 and the 6-speed its got plenty of get up and go, passing power, and it's butter smooth pretty much all of the time.

On to the build...this build will be slow going as I have baby #2 on the way, and I'll have to do what I can when I can, but I wanted to start a thread to keep track of my build and to share what I've done to my truck.

First Mods on the way - Pics will follow soon:

1 - Driver Assist Handle - To me this is a must have. I'm 5'8" and hate grabbing the steering wheel when climbing in. Without running boards (which I don't want for better ground clearance) it's a must have for me. It's been ordered and I should be installing it this week.

2 - 13" Antenna X stubby antenna. I've already caught the massive stock antenna on some trees on the tighter roads around here and don't want it whacking the paint or the windshield. Also going in this week.

Next Up:

3 - Cargo Lights on with Puddle Lamps Mod & Fogs on with High Beams

4 - Folding Tonneau Cover - Currently looking at the Tyger Tri-Fold. My buddy has one on his silverado and really likes it. I really like the BakFlip with the foldable toolbox option but it sounds like their customer service is horrible and the reliability isn't that great.

5 - Bed Protection - still researching but might go with the WeatherTec bed mat or LineX. I like the no slip grip of a rubber mat for stopping cargo from sliding around, but I like the complete protection of the LineX - I just don't like the permanence of the LineX. Also considering a complete bed rug, but I'm getting into hunting and want to be able to toss a deer in the back so that option might be out.

6 - Moveable tie downs - looking at the Bull Rings set of 9

Wish List:

1 - Amber Roof Marker Lights

2 - Aftermarket Wheels - Possibly Black, thinking of a black and tan theme

3 - Winch - Not sure how to go about this just yet. I like the idea of a hidden winch which is what I planned to do to my wrangler, but I can't see how this can be done with the grill/bumper setup on my LTZ

4 - Lift - 2" Leveling Lift or a complete setup with upgraded shocks.

That's all I've got for now. I'm loving this forum - great bunch of folks here. I hope to be able to add to the wealth of knowledge y'all have. I'll keep this up to date as I progress.

Peace!

Color is awesome !

Thanks! I was between the brown and the tungsten but I'm glad I went with brown. Chevy has the best color line up for sure.

Installed the driver's side assist handle today as well. No more sliding my butt across my gorgeous leather seats and adding extra wear. I've never done anything involving trim to my vehicles before and I was nervous but it went well and looks 100% perfect. Really nice upgrade for my 5'8" self.

I have some helpful tips I'm gonna mention in the accessories forum on the install.

f36ec791285e5aa4b2d8f129e67a7369.jpg

Installed the driver's side assist handle today as well. No more sliding my butt across my gorgeous leather seats and adding extra wear. I've never done anything involving trim to my vehicles before and I was nervous but it went well and looks 100% perfect. Really nice upgrade for my 5'8" self.

I have some helpful tips I'm gonna mention in the accessories forum on the install.

f36ec791285e5aa4b2d8f129e67a7369.jpg

I should install this for my wife, where did you get the handle?

This is the one I bought - it's the shale color to match the Cocoa/Dune Interior. $51 with free shipping. Basically the same price as on the Chevy Parts website - they have it for $35 but shipping is expensive. I get rewards points shopping through Amazon so I bought it there. The part number is: 23285089

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3SD72I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

If you have the black interior, I believe you'd want this one (part #: 23285090). The gray one is a little cheaper - $47 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Molding-Pkg-Part/dp/B00TA7UUM2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JHWE8582NPQE3Q9XZNH&dpID=41WpbDIs5vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

This is the one I bought - it's the shale color to match the Cocoa/Dune Interior. $51 with free shipping. Basically the same price as on the Chevy Parts website - they have it for $35 but shipping is expensive. I get rewards points shopping through Amazon so I bought it there. The part number is: 23285089

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3SD72I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

If you have the black interior, I believe you'd want this one (part #: 23285090). The gray one is a little cheaper - $47 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Molding-Pkg-Part/dp/B00TA7UUM2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JHWE8582NPQE3Q9XZNH&dpID=41WpbDIs5vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Thank you!

Got my diodes in the mail today... Going to try and get the lighting mods done soon. I want the puddle lights to also turn on the cargo lights, and I also want to have the fogs turn on when I turn on my high beams. Hoping I don't pick the wrong ports on the harnesses and fry anything : )

Archived