Dealership lost my wheel lock key...now what?

Kerrslight

So as the title states, the dealership lost my wheel lock key. I had it in for service a few months ago for normal service; oil change, tire rotation, etc. I have always kept my key in the same place in my center console. I just tore my truck apart looking for it, but no luck. I was planning on installing some taller rear blocks, but it is very hard to do any work under there with the wheels on. I do have my original registration number for the lock that was given to me when I bought the truck, but I feel like it shouldn't be my problem to replace something I didn't lose. Do you guys know if they have any keys on hand? Will they even be able to do another rotation or anything without having my specific key? If all goes well, I will have them pay to replace my key.

So as the title states, the dealership lost my wheel lock key. I had it in for service a few months ago for normal service; oil change, tire rotation, etc. I have always kept my key in the same place in my center console. I just tore my truck apart looking for it, but no luck. I was planning on installing some taller rear blocks, but it is very hard to do any work under there with the wheels on. I do have my original registration number for the lock that was given to me when I bought the truck, but I feel like it shouldn't be my problem to replace something I didn't lose. Do you guys know if they have any keys on hand? Will they even be able to do another rotation or anything without having my specific key? If all goes well, I will have them pay to replace my key.

The GM wheel locks are actually McGard locks. You can order a replacement here if you have the number...

http://www.mcgard.com/replacement-parts-ordering-information

Then go back to dealer and tell them they need to reimburse you. I have been told that the parts department cannot provide replacement or additional keys. This is why I always check my truck to make sure I have the key each time I have anyone rotate my tires. I hope this helps.

May have the sheet in the lock packet that has the code to reorder a new one? Or do what a theif would do use a easy out set and get them off, or hammer a cheap socket on,

I found on LS1 forum you can use a 12pt socket or tire shop can take them off. Way back when a teenager had plans to swap a set of Rally wheels for a set of Crager SS rims. Guy showed saying had lost the lock key, so he torched the locks off No way Dude!

Lots of videos on youtube on how to remove wheel locks without the key if that is what you need to do.

I would definitely go back to the dealer who lost the key ASAP otherwise they may say it was you not them who lost it.

(Those videos are the reason I am not bothering with wheel locks - if someone wants your wheels the locks won't stop them.)

Thanks guys. I've seen the YouTube videos, but would still like to keep the locks. Might not stop someone, but it makes me feel a little better. I have some gorilla wheel locks that would probably work wayyy better than these mcgard locks. Only problem is they don't look visually appealing. More so to go behind a lug cover. Anyways I'm supposed to go to the dealership for service next week and hopefully they'll get it resolved. I guess if all else fails I'll use my registration numbers and order a new key.

I usually always check my truck after service, but go figure the one time I don't for whatever reason, this happens. Unfortunately it was a few months ago at this point so I'm probably SOL. I had my truck jacked up and all my tools out ready to start working on the blocks. Last step was grabbing wheel lock key out of my console and it's not there....gotta love when that happens!

. I had my truck jacked up and all my tools out ready to start working on the blocks. Last step was grabbing wheel lock key out of my console and it's not there....gotta love when that happens!

Been there many times...

I mean about having all the prep ready for a big job and just about to start and some little detail that is normally a no brainer is missing/broken/unavailable through no fault of yours...

Ok maybe not exactly the same as dealer losing a key.

I mean about having all the prep ready for a big job and just about to start and some little detail that is normally a no brainer is missing/broken/unavailable through no fault of yours...

Ok maybe not exactly the same as dealer losing a key.

Haha well I hear you. My most recent incident was replacing some of the boards on my dock and I had my cordless circular saw and reciprocating saw plugged in to charge overnight. I had a whole bunch of boards pulled out and half my dock disassembled. It came time to start cutting and putting new boards in only to find out the circuit breaker popped sometime between the time I plugged things in to the time I went to use them so both of my saws were dead....gotta love it

Archived