iPad Mini 3 installed in dash of 2014 GMC Sierra

Hey all,

I am new to the forums but wanted to share a recent project with you. I installed an iPad Mini 3 in the dash of my 2014 GMC Sierra.... integrated with the intellilink system built behind it to keep radio and bluetooth capabilities without having to buy an aftermarket head unit and amp.

Check out the video here:

post-147419-0-47964900-1440093568_thumb.jpg

Wow I must say this is impressive your making gm look 5yrs behind...I love the idea but not something I would want to tackle seems like a of dedication but from the video looks worth it.

First, welcome.

Second, nice job on the custom fab work - it came out clean and looks nice.

Third, WAY more work and "custom" than I would ever want to take on. While the finished product has a certain amount of appeal for the geek in me, there's a) far too many changes to the stock setup and b) far too much risk of losing a stock feature than I would want to bear.

I completely agree that GM (and every manufacturer) should have been pushing in this general direction by now. Not to provide a iPad doc, per se, but to provide a larger "dumb" screen that can act as a mirror to whatever device the consumer wants to connect up. The usability would be for things like using the navigation on your phone (or tablet) instead of buying a factory NAVI option and getting a better overall experience. When you aren't using the mobile device, the screen can show you radio data, phone call info, etc. And with a larger screen, it would be easy to provide a split screen view that shows your mobile map program while also showing radio data or whatever.

While it looks like it took a long time to accomplish, it was simply a weekend project. I have zero background in fabrication, etc, so that is what took the longest. Really the only thing I lost that was stock was the volume knob. Everything else is still integrated. The cradle I used to dock it works with the iPad mini 1, 2, and 3, so when the 4 comes out I am hoping it is similar dimensions. If they change the lightning cable down the road that is a simple pop out and pop the new one in situation. Thanks for the feedback all!

So do you lose the ability to make settings changes through the main IntelliLink menu? HVAC memory, rear mirror tilt, notification options, etc? I don't access them often, but I know I can't get to them through the dash DIC.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived