Bed Rug question

Ag76

People have their preferences. Some buy a new truck and put wheels on it right away. Others can't understand that, etc.. Differences of members and their trucks is the engine of this forum. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Respect it.

You are correct- that was an inflammatory response....but, OP asked for opinions- my opinion is if it's a choice between a bedrug vs. spray liner then it's really not a choice.

You can always put a bedrug or a foam pad or a blanket or a tarp or whatever you need in or out of a lined or unlined truck bed depending on your needs, but if it's a question of a new truck and an initial purchase seems to me spray liner is the way to go - and it's not something you can just "throw in" on a whim like a bedrug.

I almost feel like a spray (or drop in although I dislike those as well) liner is a necessity on any truck that will see any use as a truck....protects against inevitable corrosion, dings, chips etc from the first day you drive it and protects the whole bed not just the floor. And that's why I'd spend $$$ on that first and foremost before a rug or tonneau

Now- I guess if you're putting a cap on the truck a bedrug makes sense

I don't understand why anyone would put a bedbug in the truck....if you're going to be using the bed of a truck that sparingly and that gently that a bedbug would suffice for protection than an SUV would've made more sense to purchase in the first place.

Spray-in liner or nothing IMO

I can't see any argument against linex, or at least any scenario when it's not far superior to a "bedrug"

You can always put some padding in the bed after liner is installed, but any chip in a truck bed will inevitably lead to rust, & a bed liner seems like weak sauce protection and would only invite water/dirt issues.

I clean my bed out w/ high pressure hose or leaf blower....vacuums are what women use in the house lol

Please share your real world experiences with using a Bedrug where you drew this conclusion that they aren't worthy of "real" truck usage? I've only had mine installed for a couple of months but have used it several times for hauling things I would put in a SUV. Time will tell if it durable enough for the tasks over the long haul.

And, by the way, I use a vacuum in my woodwork shop all the time...probably more than most women use in the house.

Please share your real world experiences with using a Bedrug where you drew this conclusion that they aren't worthy of "real" truck usage? I've only had mine installed for a couple of months but have used it several times for hauling things I would put in a SUV. Time will tell if it durable enough for the tasks over the long haul.

And, by the way, I use a vacuum in my woodwork shop all the time...probably more than most women use in the house.

Vacuum was a joke! Relax.

I had a bedrug in an old "beater" (used in winters/bad weather when not driving my GTO) Ford Ranger - now that Ford had some nicks and scrapes in the bed to begin w/, and had no tonneau cover. During the fall especially it collected all kinds of crap like pine needs and sap and sticks leaves etc some of which stuck to the top of it and was hard to get off - even w/ a vacuum! (the coin operated type) - and on top of that it trapped moisture underneath and caused stuff to smell when the sun would beat down on it because bits plant matter still stuck underneath it all the time no matter what,

I used to beat the thing w/ a dowel/baseball bat hung over the side of a fence to clean it off because like I said - the pine needles and stringy stuff in particular stuck to it, the top of it was similar to what is in our fenderwells but more clingy.

underneath it over time I am sure it would have added to more corrosion because the bed underneath never got a chance to really dry out unless it was dry for a week or so.

So - I guess realizing all that probably is better use for the bedrug in a nicer/dryer climate too

I had a bedrug in an old "beater" (used in winters/bad weather when not driving my GTO) Ford Ranger - now that Ford had some nicks and scrapes in the bed to begin w/, and had no tonneau cover. During the fall especially it collected all kinds of crap like pine needs and sap and sticks leaves etc some of which stuck to the top of it and was hard to get off - even w/ a vacuum! (the coin operated type) - and on top of that it trapped moisture underneath and caused stuff to smell when the sun would beat down on it because bits plant matter still stuck underneath it all the time no matter what,

I used to beat the thing w/ a dowel/baseball bat hung over the side of a fence to clean it off because like I said - the pine needles and stringy stuff in particular stuck to it, the top of it was similar to what is in our fenderwells but more clingy.

underneath it over time I am sure it would have added to more corrosion because the bed underneath never got a chance to really dry out unless it was dry for a week or so.

So - I guess realizing all that probably is better use for the bedrug in a nicer/dryer climate too

Thanks for the informative reply.

I understood by the "lol" that you were joking but given the nature of your original reply as a whole didn't find it amusing.

Are you sure that was an actual BedRug and not some cheap imitation?

I've had mine for 15 years and hauled dirt, rocks, mulch, sand, brick, pavers, gas cans, old auto parts - the list goes on and on - and never had those problems. You are right about the vacuum but the best way to clean a BedRug is with a pressure washer (which is what you said you use on your truck anyway). Most of the people on forums who complain about a BedRug not being sturdy haven't used one, they are just basing it on the fact that they think it is a piece of carpet. We even have a local concrete finishing company that won't put anything else in the beds of their trucks since the BedRugs have held up great for them.

NOTE -- In case you are wondering I do not work for BedRug, I'm just a happy customer who is trying to share my experience with the OP since he asked for it.

Are you sure that was an actual BedRug and not some cheap imitation?

I've had mine for 15 years and hauled dirt, rocks, mulch, sand, brick, pavers, gas cans, old auto parts - the list goes on and on - and never had those problems. You are right about the vacuum but the best way to clean a BedRug is with a pressure washer (which is what you said you use on your truck anyway). Most of the people on forums who complain about a BedRug not being sturdy haven't used one, they are just basing it on the fact that they think it is a piece of carpet. We even have a local concrete finishing company that won't put anything else in the beds of their trucks since the BedRugs have held up great for them.

NOTE -- In case you are wondering I do not work for BedRug, I'm just a happy customer who is trying to share my experience with the OP since he asked for it.

I dunno if it was brand name or not, I bought the truck from a neighbor and it came w/ it - I didn't want to put a dime into the truck more than I had to so I just took it as-is.

1989 Ford Ranger ext. cab 2 tone w/ red interior, 5 speed, 4wd Paid $350 and a bought my neighbor lunch. Had 279,000 miles when I started driving it - put 32,000 on it in 2 years before the ORIGINAL clutch went (yup....say Ford sucks all ya want but apparently doesn't apply to the Ranger lol) Started w/o the key just by turning the ignition switch. Couldn't lock the doors. Smelled like gas in the cab on cold days when first started sitting @ lights/idling. I was instructed by my neighbor NOT to put it in 4wd because the last time he did he couldn't get it back out for a few weeks, but I did it anyhow, got stuck, and I emptied about 1/2 a can of WD40 into the shift case and banged w/ a wrench - went back into 2wd - but broke the level off the 4wd shift and had to screw in a piece of wood so I could get leverage to shift it - although never had issues going in and outta 4wd again though.

Loved that truck actually - that was a TRUCK

I don't understand why anyone would put a bedbug in the truck....if you're going to be using the bed of a truck that sparingly and that gently that a bedbug would suffice for protection than an SUV would've made more sense to purchase in the first place.

Spray-in liner or nothing IMO

I can't see any argument against linex, or at least any scenario when it's not far superior to a "bedrug"

You can always put some padding in the bed after liner is installed, but any chip in a truck bed will inevitably lead to rust, & a bed liner seems like weak sauce protection and would only invite water/dirt issues.

I clean my bed out w/ high pressure hose or leaf blower....vacuums are what women use in the house lol

Well, not that I need to justify my choice or anything, I'll address this anyway. My professional position requires that I carry a bunch of gear with me at all times. This gear needs to be protected from the elements. I also own a house with a rather large (3 acre) finished yard, etc. So, my truck allows me to carry my gear as needed, then to take it out when I need to haul mulch, appliances, yard equipment, large items, etc. The Bedrug can haul pretty much anything your open bed truck can haul. It is also a lot nicer on my knee's when I'm crawling around in the bed. Using your logic, I could say "I don't understand why people buy a truck, then drive around with the bed empty most of the time. Why not just buy an SUV?". But why would I care? They're not spending my money. More power to them. Since we are voicing our opinions here, mine is that perhaps you should have a bit more of an open mind before criticizing others on their decision. Feel free to disagree.

i think its assumed were all giving are opinions on here...and sometime more info isn't justifying urself but merely adding info that can be used to help and give advice. personally i agree with spray in and perhaps removable pad but based on ur lifestyle...a bed rug may suit you better.

There are tons of choices out there and I respect each ones choice. My choice is BedRug.

On my third truck with a Bedrug. Never had issues at all with corrosion, moisture, ect.

I do everything with my truck and its held up very well. My only gripe is, in the winter when its above freezing, and you get it wet and don't dry it in time before it freezes, you have an Ice Rug on your hands.

Other than that. It works just as

good as a liner.

Your call, good luck!!

7ea50c77265547677c1ec60db4f1f431.jpg

Line-X Platinum for me.

The BedRug Boys seem to get a little "hurt" when this topic comes up. One even went out of his way to rate my Line-X pics in my Gallery. LMAO!

Might be rug burns?

post-130182-0-34893700-1440370413.jpg

Archived