Bed Rug question

Ag76

I've been looking at getting either a spray on bed liner, or a BedRug for my new Sierra 1500 SLT. I'm leaning toward the BedRug, and tonight showed my wife a photo of a truck with one installed.. She asked if water would get under the BedRug and keep moisture in contact with the bed for extended periods of time, causing mold or rust. I couldn't answer her question, so I'm hoping someone with a BedRug can tell me if that's a potential problem. I won't have a cover over the bed, so it will be exposed to the weather at times.

I have a bed rug and love it. Best thing ever. However, that being said, I have a cover on mine. If you don't go with a cover, I don't think I would put in a bed rug, go with the spray in bed liner. It will get wet and being totally exposed, would take a while to dry out. Just my two cents.....

A Bed Rug is as dry as a hard shell liner. Some are overthinking this, water doesn't penetrate the bed rug and it dries quickly on the surface. I like mine better than spray liner or hard shell with carpet. The osly reason I wouldn't buy a Bed Rug is if I carried anything greasy. They are easy to clean but grease is a PIA to get off.

A Bed Rug is as dry as a hard shell liner. Some are overthinking this, water doesn't penetrate the bed rug and it dries quickly on the surface. I like mine better than spray liner or hard shell with carpet. The osly reason I wouldn't buy a Bed Rug is if I carried anything greasy. They are easy to clean but grease is a PIA to get off.

Oh yes it does. Had one on my 04 Joe Gibbs truck and it was nasty under the bedrug after being open to the elements about 90 days. Pulled it and cleaned it and installed a Snuglid. Never had an issue again.

I had a bed rug in my previous 2500 HD. It performed well at protecting the bed however the fibers would capture and hold onto debris. For the most part a quick once over with a shop vac would easily remove most debris.

If you live in a cold climate, consider snow melt and freezing conditions.

On my current truck I have the bed tred pro installed. It has a texture similar to a sprayed in liner. Stuff doesnt slide around as much and it is easily rinsed clean. Very happy with so far.

Thanks for the replies. I followed steelcity's advice and called BedRug. The customer service agent says the water that leaks through the zipper will run out the drain holes in the bed. I told her I knew the "free" water would exit the drain holes, but what about the moisture trapped under the liner. She kept insisting that it would run out the drain holes. I'm starting to reconsider purchasing a BedRug. I might be better off with a spray on liner since I don't plan on installing a bed cover.

I've had a BedRug installed without a cover for over 15 years. Absolutely no problems with water, rust, or stains and it has hauled everything imagineable. It will be one of the first things I add to my next truck.

The company hurt themselves by putting "rug" in the name. It is nothing like a rug - it's more like a soft version of that outdoor carpet people used to put on their porches. When you called them did you ask for a sample? They'll send you a free sample (about 6" x 6") that you can check out and abuse to see if you like it.

I don't understand why anyone would put a bedbug in the truck....if you're going to be using the bed of a truck that sparingly and that gently that a bedbug would suffice for protection than an SUV would've made more sense to purchase in the first place.

Spray-in liner or nothing IMO

I can't see any argument against linex, or at least any scenario when it's not far superior to a "bedrug"

You can always put some padding in the bed after liner is installed, but any chip in a truck bed will inevitably lead to rust, & a bed liner seems like weak sauce protection and would only invite water/dirt issues.

I clean my bed out w/ high pressure hose or leaf blower....vacuums are what women use in the house lol

I don't understand why anyone would put a bedbug in the truck....if you're going to be using the bed of a truck that sparingly and that gently that a bedbug would suffice for protection than an SUV would've made more sense to purchase in the first place.

Spray-in liner or nothing IMO

I can't see any argument against linex, or at least any scenario when it's not far superior to a "bedrug"

You can always put some padding in the bed after liner is installed, but any chip in a truck bed will inevitably lead to rust, & a bed liner seems like weak sauce protection and would only invite water/dirt issues.

I clean my bed out w/ high pressure hose or leaf blower....vacuums are what women use in the house lol

People have their preferences. Some buy a new truck and put wheels on it right away. Others can't understand that, etc.. Differences of members and their trucks is the engine of this forum. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Respect it.

Archived