Camshaft for 2014 5.3

Hello

I am new to this forum and did a ton of searching for a question. I wanted to do a camshaft upgrade of my 2014 1500 with the 5.3

I see these engines have huge potential with some simple upgrades. I would like to get a cam that doesn't require a huge amount of tuning. Or just a call to performance place to have a simple tune built.

I live so far up north that tuning shops are on the other side of the state if I do find one. Has anyone done a cam and what happened or cost and all that . Would greatly appreciate the sharing. I do apologize if this has been beaten to death and I missed a topic that covers all this.

Just a newbie learning

I can't imagine a new cam not needing a tune, especially with the variable valve timing. I know you are saying that a tunes not practical but I would haul my truck 1000 miles for a good Dyno tune and get a cam that's going make changing it out, worth it.

Comp is putting down some good numbers with their XFI truck cams but will require tuning.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from Off Driller Side

One guy on performance trucks cam swapped his 14 6.2 and drove it for quite some time without it being properly tuned. I can see of I can find his thread and link it here. I only remember as I thought it was pretty odd lol. It ran pretty well as is supposedly.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/hoowybrows-2014-dcsb-6-2l-ruined4x4-532747/

There you go. He says in the beginning something about tuning but a few posts in talks about driving it unturned and then later does a dyno tune.

He had a buddy change some things with efilive initially but very little.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I know that thread and trust me, that little cam requires tuning. His buddy had no idea how to tune it and understandably so... These ECU's are not for novices.

With a new cam you need a new tune, if you decide not to...well thats your choice.

With my camaro with VVT we replaced afm/dod parts, the afm lifters as they sucked, needed a phaser limit or kit, etc. I cant imagine driving it without a proper tune as it is going to be so out of whack it won't be funny.

He said a cam with little or no tuning lol........ well someone that doesn't know how to tune making it run alright would qualify as that. I have followed that thread as well and the numbers it pulled down aren't really all that inspiring lol. Not to mention it basically runs no better at the track either.... which a truck with cam and headers most certainly should. It needs a phase limiter but that's pretty normal with any aftermarket stick unless you don't change lift or duration. He is now supposedly properly tuned but it's still about the same speed as stock. I imagine it's more of an issue out of the hole launching but he is going to spray it and didn't say much about fixing his suspension nor getting his angles to run 4wd so..... lol. If I cammed one of these the first thing I would do is delete the AFM.......

Thanks for the info and replies I do appreciate it . I was curious about adaptive learning of the pcm. I remember on my last truck I read and was told st the dealership about it. That the computer learns as it goes and would have to for different fuel grade and timing curves. I understand of course like many shared putting a cam in why wouldn't I get a tune after spending the time and money. But out of just speaking wouldn't the computer adapt to the change or would it just be to much change for the computer to adjust?

I think I would try and find a shop some place to do the tune. Anyone know of a place ? I live in northern Minnesota where we are lucky to have a fast food chain let alone a performance shop. I will contact comp cams and ask what they suggest for a cam. Also hope from what I read the low end isn't compromised from cam said it does change for more mid and top leas low.

Black bear can tune it just fine. It would be crazy to go to all of the trouble of changing the cam and not have it tuned. You'd be wasting a lot of potential.

I agree Black bear could make it road worthy and good at part throttle but without a wideband they will have to overcompensate on WOT by giving it an educated guess as far as AFR's go. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing because it will be a helluva a lot better than no tune. They can chime in and give their two cents...

Thanks for the info and replies I do appreciate it . I was curious about adaptive learning of the pcm. I remember on my last truck I read and was told st the dealership about it. That the computer learns as it goes and would have to for different fuel grade and timing curves. I understand of course like many shared putting a cam in why wouldn't I get a tune after spending the time and money. But out of just speaking wouldn't the computer adapt to the change or would it just be to much change for the computer to adjust?

I think I would try and find a shop some place to do the tune. Anyone know of a place ? I live in northern Minnesota where we are lucky to have a fast food chain let alone a performance shop. I will contact comp cams and ask what they suggest for a cam. Also hope from what I read the low end isn't compromised from cam said it does change for more mid and top leas low.

Computer can only adapt/learn fuel trims and that is for part throttle only and is limited. It's intended for weather changes and works for small bolt ons. There are literally thousands of parameters that can be changed and 99% of those do not adapt... some of them being timing, open loop fuel control and cam phase that would be on the top of that list.

I'm not saying you "should" get a tune... It's a must.

A performance shop should be able to mail you a tune along with a cam (hopefully they have installed that same cam in a 2014+ truck and tuned it on-site)

The problem with this is different altitudes, weather conditions,etc it isn't going to be as good as having someone local do it or at least data logging and sending files back and forth. It'll get him close but why go thru all the trouble of a can if you plan to half ass the tune ?

I would never send someone a tune for a new cam and call it good without a data from a Wideband. I don't care how many times I tuned that exact same cam/engine combo.

Archived