305/55/20 or 275/60/20

man i have spent about a week trying decide the exact same question. good post. i think i am settling in to the fact that i never really use my truck off road and spend a lot of time on the hwy. thinking 275/60 is the right route for me. cheaper, better ride, less noise, less tire to track the road surface, and better mpg probably.

function>style for me these days i guess. sucks getting old!!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

275-60-20 with 12mm offset on 2" level about to get 295-55s put on tho

do you have any more pics of the truck with those tires? they are one i am considering. glad you posted up. maybe something a little more close up? thanks.

Will do when I get off? Anything particular

thanks. just some closer up and maybe bigger if you can. (i do realize to click on the pic and see the other couple pics shown) maybe something like that rear 3/4 shot of the truck with 305s on factory 20s. same angle from front. close up of wheel/tire straight on. any that you can do i appreciate. been looking at pics for a dang week now. not a lot of pics of this tire in that size on a 14+.

if it is easier to get the bigger pics i can pm my email

Honestly. 305's aren't that wide, with a level 275 almost seems too narrow.

i know what you are saying and the 305s look a ton better but coming from the 265/65r18 ride, comfort, and mpg i think i will like the 275 better.

265/65-18 = 31.5 x 10.4

275/60-20 = 32.9 x 10.8

305/55-20 = 33.2 x 12.0

so for me a jump to the 305 would be 1.6 inches wider and 1.7 taller. looks like the 275 will give me most of the look and stay closer to my needs of just comfort and mpg down the hwy. i have had the nitto terra grappler on many trucks in the past and it has been a great tire but think i am going to go a little more mild.

considering the cooper at3, geolandar ats, and michelin atx2.

Toyo makes nitto, as far as I know they're very similar but toyo puts their highest quality standards into their own tires. I've owned trail grapplers and they wore like iron, lasted forever, but rode rough. I've been told toyo oc mt ride better. They also have more siping to provide better traction.

Trail grapplers are mud terrains correct? I'm not a nitto expert so I may be wrong but I've driven several trucks with heavy mt tires and none really rode well. Seeing as how the nitto 305's are still P metric albeit an XL I imagine they'd ride well. Even though they are XL they are still 4 ply aren't they? With just a higher psi of course. I could run them at 35 anyway.

Trail grapplers are mud terrains correct? I'm not a nitto expert so I may be wrong but I've driven several trucks with heavy mt tires and none really rode well. Seeing as how the nitto 305's are still P metric albeit an XL I imagine they'd ride well. Even though they are XL they are still 4 ply aren't they? With just a higher psi of course. I could run them at 35 anyway.

yes trail grapplers are mt, I was just stating for reference to quality.

I thought xl's were 6 ply, but after doing some more reading it appears they are only 4. Xl's should be run at the same psi that GM recommends for p metric, the xl simply means you can carry more load by increasing the psi higher than an normal p metric. I run mine at 32 psi. Nitto also recommends their terra grappler g2 xl on our trucks to be run at 32 psi because its what the door sticker says.

And yes they will ride well, probably better than stock goodyears and about equal to stock bridgestones.

yes trail grapplers are mt, I was just stating for reference to quality.

I thought xl's were 6 ply, but after doing some more reading it appears they are only 4. Xl's should be run at the same psi that GM recommends for p metric, the xl simply means you can carry more load by increasing the psi higher than an normal p metric. I run mine at 32 psi. Nitto also recommends their terra grappler g2 xl on our trucks to be run at 32 psi because its what the door sticker says.

And yes they will ride well, probably better than stock goodyears and about equal to stock bridgestones.

Well that pretty much settles it. Even though they weigh a little more than the Goodyear's (which makes sense because they're taller and wider) I've been wanting that size for a while but just didn't want to make the switch to LT. I may be a new nitto customer soon.

Going to dealership to buy tomorrow. With the All Terrain stock wheels, whats a good Aggressive AT (not quite MT) in 275/60 you guys use and recommend?

I will be adding a 2.5" level. Truck will see about 30 miles highway (round trip) 3-4 times a week for work but also want to be able to take it out and get dirty.

Going to dealership to buy tomorrow. With the All Terrain stock wheels, whats a good Aggressive AT (not quite MT) in 275/60 you guys use and recommend?

I will be adding a 2.5" level. Truck will see about 30 miles highway (round trip) 3-4 times a week for work but also want to be able to take it out and get dirty.

The most aggressive non mud terrain tire you can get is the toyo open country at2 extreme.

All other at's are fairly similar in aggressiveness. Your options for good tires would be

-BFG KO2's

-Cooper zeon LTZ

-Nitto terra grappler G2

-Toyo Open Country at2 (Extreme being a lot more aggressive)

-Hankook dynapro ATM

-Cooper ATP.

and I'm sure I'm missing some but those are what come to mind. The problem with 275 is that none of these options look that aggressive. Going up in width makes the lugs look a lot beefier.

Just buy what they have on sale or recommend if you're going to the dealer, they are all pretty similar. I personally like my hankooks cause of the price, but all of those tires are good rated tires.

Ever thought abt best of both worlds? 295/60/20 terra grappler G2

That's like 34". I don't think that'd work with just a 2" Level. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

Archived