Rocker Panel, extra protection Y or N?

That is why I didn't go ahead with fixing my 2002 even though mechanically she was in great shape. I knew the owner of the body shop guy (we take all of our company trucks to him) and he basically said he would take my 3 to 4 thousand to get everything fixed but there would be no guarantees and that rust may pop up somewhere else in a year or so. I do hope these are made better, I almost didn't buy another silverado because the rust on my 2002 put a bad taste in my mouth.

• 5 months later...

Anybody else go ahead and get this done? It seems like this would be a better looking option than mudflaps.

I also noticed a lot of scratches on top of the rockers, inside the doors, from passengers getting in and out. I wonder if line x would be a good solution, or if it would cause issues with the weatherstripping on the bottom of the doors?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

More or at least as important is protecting the inside of the Rockers. Moisture and dirty get trapped in there and the rust starts from the inside out. There are multiple hole on the back side of the Rockers and plugs along the bottom. Remove the plugs. Using a spray gun to atomize a wax type coating in the rockers. The wax when atomized into a mist floats and gets into every nook and cranny. We use rusfree brand at my shop. About $40 a gallon. You won't need a whole gallon for one truck. If i ever decide to stop leasing and buy a truck i will use this product to cover every unseen area on the vehicle. Its thin and won't plug the drain holes like rubberized under coat can. I've replaced to many inner and outer rocker panels on 6-10 yr old chevy trucks. All of them the rust started from the inner layer and worked is way out.

Archived