Rocker Panel, extra protection Y or N?

Bought a Victory Red 2015 Silverado 2LT Z71 last week and was debating on whether or not to put some rocker panel protection.Today when I looked underneath to see how easy it would be to install my Raptor step bar I noticed that the rocker panels already have an orange peel texture to them like they painted them differently. Is this a standard feature? I am doing everything in matte black accents and was going to put matte black vinyl there to add a layer of protection against small chips...just trying to figure out if I need to spend the money or not.

Considered doing line-x down there, but they want $800 to do it...still an option, but can't bankroll it right now.

Thoughts?

I sprayed rubberized undercoating on the rocker panels to further resist paint chip. The coating is tough and energy absorbing to protect the paint. On a crew cab with a short bed, a minimum of one can is needed and I also sprayed the bottom part of the bed forward of the rear axle; 1.5-2 cans per side is better, but there is no need for over two. I use the 3M brand that's readily available at a typical auto parts store.

I sprayed rubberized undercoating on the rocker panels to further resist paint chip. The coating is tough and energy absorbing to protect the paint. On a crew cab with a short bed, a minimum of one can is needed and I also sprayed the bottom part of the bed forward of the rear axle; 1.5-2 cans per side is better, but there is no need for over two. I use the 3M brand that's readily available at a typical auto parts store.

so basically the 3M equivalent of flex seal? Hadn't thought of that!

When I had the bed lining done I also had them spray the rockers for more protection and a little different style to the truck.

I had this done with my liner on my '02 Silverado. I had them color match the rocker panels to the OEM paint. Looked great for years.

That $1500 sounds about right. Just keep in mind that it literally lasts forever. No fading, no chipping. Pays for itself with the 1st the first brush with a gully or ditch.

Just make sure you don't clog up any drain holes. My rocker panels on my 2002 rusted from the inside out so I had no clue till a hole the size of my fist showed up one day.

Just make sure you don't clog up any drain holes. My rocker panels on my 2002 rusted from the inside out so I had no clue till a hole the size of my fist showed up one day.

Any ideas where these might be exactly on the new trucks? Are they pin hole in size?

Some large mud flaps is enough protection for me. Front ones hang 1" from ground stop pretty much everything from hitting the rockers.WI Ryu

Any ideas where these might be exactly on the new trucks? Are they pin hole in size?

I am not sure but when I took my 2002 to a body shop last summer the owner mentioned that they can get clogged up and hold water causing rust. After seeing the cost to fix both rockers and rear quarter panels that is when I decided to go truck shopping!

My rockers and doors are so chipped I'm embarrassed by it! My trucks got 20k miles and it looks like its seen 100k of gravel. I do drive a ton of gravel but I've never had a Chevy designed so poorly for off highway driving. The doors are basically the rockers now since they stick out farther than the rockers themselves. I have already had one box side repainted due to a hit and run in a parking lot, but the doors and rockers, and driver side box side need a ton of touch up. I've had long mudflaps on since I got it, and the tread on my tires don't stick out past my wheel wells. I finally got my Go Rhino RB10 running boards that are an absolute life saver on whats left of my paint. I'm really debating bed lining it, but it kills me to think about spraying something as permanent as that on an almost brand new truck! Once I go that route there's no going back...

I am not sure but when I took my 2002 to a body shop last summer the owner mentioned that they can get clogged up and hold water causing rust. After seeing the cost to fix both rockers and rear quarter panels that is when I decided to go truck shopping!

My 03 rusted out and I ended up cutting them out, welded in new ones and re-sprayed myself. I used a 3M rocker guard protector after primer and it did give that same orange peel effect.

...Within a year and a half some surface rust has started to come back! I think its just a poor design, there's holes in it to drain but mud, salt, etc. just eats away at the inside. Worried about how our new trucks are going to look in 10 years...

Archived