Towing with 6.0 Engine? Or Do I Really Need A Diesel?

Well, I probably get about a few hundred gallons of diesel a week at truck stops on average. The diesel pump nozzles on the auto/pickup side of the truckstop are not too bad. The trucking side, they can get pretty nasty due to the high volume, splashing, kickback from over filling, etc. You will find out soon enough why gloves are a good thing to have on when at commercial trucking diesel pumps. No big deal. It is what it is.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to disappoint you. I haven't had my truck very long. I did add a bigger fuel tank so that we can drive just about a full day without refueling with the new 5th wheel. The new tank hold 57 gallons, so I won't need to fill up as often.

Perhaps I will be using a truck stop on our travels. I have already heard that those pumps dispense fuel at a high rate so they will give you a backlash of fuel. Is that the reason for the stains and the need for gloves?

Go to any place that sells a lot of diesel and you will learn real fast why you need gloves, it is not just truck stops.

What I found is that most of it is just sloppy use of the pumps period...as for the auto islands, the local UPS, FedEx , etc. use those and run them over from time to time around here and they aren't much better than the truck side. And not every pump is that way, but the majority are in my experience.

I carried a box of blue Nitrile disposable gloves for fueling...nice and clean when you put them on, throw them out when done. I also carried a pair of heavy rubber/pvc/nitrile gloves just in case, and threw them in the laundry from time to time.

Do the DMax fillers have the big opening or small? There were some Fords manufactured with the car-sized opening and couldn't fuel at a truck dispenser. You can imagine how much more difficult finding a station with diesel was for those guys...like being stranded in the ocean, all the diesel you could want and no way to fill the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Diesel island are messy because diesel is basically oil. It doesn't evaporate. Gets on the ground, on the nozzle, etc.

Gasoline evaporates fairly quickly so usually it doesn't leave much residue and unless someone spilled gas a few minutes before you are there, you're not going to notice it. Gasoline vapors will also blow you up so you can't win them all.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd chime in on this, although it's not a new topic. I have a 2015 6.0, and I absolutely love it. I research everything before I buy anything. The 6.0 is tried and true. it's a workhorse motor and is extremely reliable. I have a 2015 Springdale travel trailer, and if said trailer was fully loaded to max capacity, it would be 7800 lbs. it's like 5600 lbs dry. My 2015 2500HD with the 6.0 is rated to tow between 13,000-14,000 lbs. Seeing how I only tow maybe 6 times a year, there was no point for my to spend the extra $8,000 for the Duramax. No gas motor is going to pull as good as a new diesel, but you kinda have to look at how often you're gonna tow in my opinion. The 6.0 in these trucks has 90% of it's torque available right outta the hole (low RPM's). More than adequate for me. The only negative in my mind, is the diesel is probably getting 17 mpg when towing, and I'm getting 9 or 10 mpg. 6 to some, half dozen to the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing that bothers me about the Dmax torque, it doesn't remain at peak over several hundred RPM.

That is all true! But in all fairness, the 6.0L has 90% of available torque at 2000 RPM, where it is running at highway speeds. If one has the need, the Dmax is a great choice. If one doesn't need that much, the. 6.0 is a great choice. Something for everyone! What was truly interesting, is that on the Ike Gauntlet Test done by Fast Lane Truck, the Dmax equipped 2500 only beat the 6.0L on that long pull up the mountain by 2.5 minutes. Now that either speaks that the Dmax is not all that strong, or the 6.0 is not a slouch. I opt for the latter assumption. They are both great in their own way.

Only thing that bothers me about the Dmax torque, it doesn't remain at peak over several hundred RPM. The typical heavy diesel reaches peak at 1100-1200 RPM, and remains at peak till around 1500-1600 RPM before trending down. I would have expected the Dmax to hold peak torque longer. The little 2.8L VM diesel in my '06 Jeep Liberty reached peak at 1800 and held it study thru 2200.

Excuse me? Peak torque is 765lb ft at 1600 rpm. At 3000 rpm you still have 700lb ft. What's not flat about that? That's a decrease of only 8.5%.

The little 2.8L you are using for comparison has 410lb ft at 2000 rpm and about 340lb ft at 4000 rpm. That's a decrease of 17%.

Don't see how you can say the DMAX torque curve isn't flat. You must have been looking at the HP numbers.

My point was about remaining the same across the spectrum. I used a typical heavy diesel for comparison. For me to be impressed, would be that once the Dmax reaches peak torque, it actually hold peak torque over a very useable range. On a commercial heavy diesel, you get peak torque at 1100-1200 and it holds it the very same peak torque up thru the reasonable RPM band the engine will operate in. It looses not one pound of torque until the engine gets outside the normal power band. None of the Dmax engines can make the same claim. Not that they are bad engines, I would expect a flat torque curve over the normal operation band of the engine. Flat means flat, not moderately sloped.

I have had the following trucks since 2008. All crew cab 4x4s. All used to pull the same boat. I am in central IL so there are no hills to speak of.

All four vehicles did just fine with the boat. The 2012 1500 being the worst of the bunch. I had to flog the crap out of that one to merge onto the highway and passing on a 2 lane was tricky. That was actually my least favorite truck all round. Probably why I had it less than a year.

The 2016 DMax is by far the best for towing. Don't even know the boat is back there.

Do I "need" the diesel? Nope. The 2014 1500 was perfect for my needs. I "wanted" the DMax. Wanted one since I bought the 2004 2500HD. You could say it is my dream truck. Now I finally have one.

To be honest, I was looking at a 2016 1500 6.2L when I found the DMax. $68,190 sticker. I paid about $54,500. The 1500 6.2L was going to cost me more than that. After climbing into the cab of a 2500HD again after a few years in 1500s I can't remember why I ever switched. I truly prefer the 2500.

2004 2500HD 6.0

2012 1500 5.3

2014 1500 5.3

2016 2500HD 6.6

Just my .02

My point was about remaining the same across the spectrum. I used a typical heavy diesel for comparison. For me to be impressed, would be that once the Dmax reaches peak torque, it actually hold peak torque over a very useable range. On a commercial heavy diesel, you get peak torque at 1100-1200 and it holds it the very same peak torque up thru the reasonable RPM band the engine will operate in. It looses not one pound of torque until the engine gets outside the normal power band. None of the Dmax engines can make the same claim. Not that they are bad engines, I would expect a flat torque curve over the normal operation band of the engine. Flat means flat, not moderately sloped.

As so many before me have said, enough with the commercial diesel crap. You are clearly on the wrong forum for that. You are not even comparing apples and oranges. More like apples and horses.

Even your beloved Detroit 60 loses 9% of it's torque from max to red line.

My mistake, it's a whole lot more than 9%. More like 25%.

Well since the Dmax is used more for commercial use, as the bulk of the 3/4 and 1 tons it is in are used commercially, along with the upcoming class 4/5 offerings from the joint venture of GM and Navistar, you are clearly misled about things. You have a problem with comparisons, go see a shrink. You seem to have some issues that my couple of semesters of Psych in college didn't prepare me for.

Anyone running a diesel, irregardless of brand, to red line is insane and a fool. They sure have no knowledge or appreciation of the way to use a diesel engine. For the Detroit, Red line on the Detroit 60 is 2800 RPM. Governor on it is set at 2100, so it would never reach red line. Torque reaches max at 1200 and doesn't drop 1 lb till 1550 RPM and from there to 1600 only a small drop, which is the useful power band of the engine. Virtually everything is done in the 1200 to 1600 RPM range. That is what they make gears for, to keep it in that band. HP does continue to build to 1800 then starts a drop. But HP doesn't do the work, torque does. The only time I run it above 1600 is for engine braking sometimes.

Comparisons are great when done fairly.

Commercial 1 ton vs commercial semi tractor. Not comparable. Commercial 1 ton dmax, powerstroke and Cummins are comparable. I never suggested running any engine to redline. The graphs you posted are from idle to redline or governor engagement.

You pull this kind of crap on every board you are on. This forum is for light duty 2014 thru 2017 GM 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. Not f***ing semis!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how much anything I have towed weighs exactly, but let me throw this out there.

I just traded my 2015 Silverado 1500 5.3 in for a 2016 2500 gas.

With my 2015 I have pulled a utility trailer with a skidsteer bobcat t550 on three separate occasions. Not far mind you but, it pulled it much better than I expected, coming to a stop was a little tough unless you gave yourself enough room to stop but it worked for me. I also have pulled a tractor with it.

This brings me to my question. I have a 96 prowler 5th wheel 33.5ft . I have looked all over it and can't find a weight posted on it. I need to be able to tow it to the lake for weekend camping. I have been reading a lot online and am wondering if I really made a mistake not buying a diesel. The truth is I couldn't afford it. I'm not concerned about speed as I would not being interstate towing. I would not be getting over 55mph anyway. I just am curious if I am going to have any problems.

I am not sure how much anything I have towed weighs exactly, but let me throw this out there.

I just traded my 2015 Silverado 1500 5.3 in for a 2016 2500 gas.

With my 2015 I have pulled a utility trailer with a skidsteer bobcat t550 on three separate occasions. Not far mind you but, it pulled it much better than I expected, coming to a stop was a little tough unless you gave yourself enough room to stop but it worked for me. I also have pulled a tractor with it.

This brings me to my question. I have a 96 prowler 5th wheel 33.5ft . I have looked all over it and can't find a weight posted on it. I need to be able to tow it to the lake for weekend camping. I have been reading a lot online and am wondering if I really made a mistake not buying a diesel. The truth is I couldn't afford it. I'm not concerned about speed as I would not being interstate towing. I would not be getting over 55mph anyway. I just am curious if I am going to have any problems.

Is your Prowler listed here?

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1996/Prowler/Travel-Trailers-5th-Wheels

A guess as to pin weight would be about 20% of trailer weight, so figure about 1600 lbs.

Is your Prowler listed here?

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1996/Prowler/Travel-Trailers-5th-Wheels

A guess as to pin weight would be about 20% of trailer weight, so figure about 1600 lbs.

It has to be one of these two since we know its 33' . Infact it says 33.5ft on the camper but I have not seen a model number yet.

33'
8'
Fifth Wheel 2
Yes 1
33'
8'
Fifth Wheel 2
Yes

So based on this chart my truck should be able to pull this without any issues.

pin weight being around 1600

Archived