Why do people bash Rough Country lifts?

Everyone's comments are truly appreciated. I hate that it is so hard for me to pick which lift kit to purchase. With a brand new truck that cost me >50k I want to ensure that I make the right choice. I know that I can't afford a high end coil over lift system but I don't want to waste money either. If I had hair I would be pulling it out!

Think about it... why put the cheap components on a $50k truck. It's like putting cheap tires... just not wise. I'm sure RC is fine, but once you look at the materials, you'll understand why they're cheap.

Think about it... why put the cheap components on a $50k truck. It's like putting cheap tires... just not wise. I'm sure RC is fine, but once you look at the materials, you'll understand why they're cheap.

Very well said. I just wouldn't put a RC lift on my new 50k truck. I'm going FTS 7 with adjustable bilsteins which can be had for under 2k. Nicer components and a lot better ride.

Just went to a suspension shop that installs lifts and was able to see first hand what the Rough Country components are like. What I saw was the fit and finish was not as good as BDS although the Zone 6" lift was exactly the same though. So now my struggles continue. Either I pay the higher price or except that the installer will have to maybe work skittle harder installing it. I will not be buying said lift kit until August so I have a little more time to try and make my mind up.

Just went to a suspension shop that installs lifts and was able to see first hand what the Rough Country components are like. What I saw was the fit and finish was not as good as BDS although the Zone 6" lift was exactly the same though. So now my struggles continue. Either I pay the higher price or except that the installer will have to maybe work skittle harder installing it. I will not be buying said lift kit until August so I have a little more time to try and make my mind up.

I did forget to mention that my rear end shocks are not that good. Those could definitely be replaced with perhaps Bilsteins like Aldila mentioned. I install my own lift kits, and the 2014 install went by with a breeze although it was my second install. I don't have the money to blow on a high end lift kit. What I have is working just fine for me. Everybody has their opinions.

Well I have it narrowed down to two options. One is the RCX 6" kit and the other is the BDS base 6" kit. The BDS kit replaces the front struts with a new longer strut instead of using a spacer. But cost about 1K more.

Check out this thread on silveradosierra. Plenty of pictures showing angles of various lifts.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/suspension/post-your-suspension-angles-t358818.html

The Rancho 6" looks like a great setup for the money. One piece reinforced subframe, lifetime warranty. It's going for $1550 on Amazon.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/suspension-systems/chevrolet-gmc-suspension-systems/2014-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-1500-4wd-oe-steel-knuckles-6-in-suspension-system-rs66301b.html

I have spent a good length of time on that forum. That was where I saw most of the negative reviews for Rough Country. I think after a lot of research and thought I will be going with the BDS 6" kit. I have ultimately chosen this one because it replaces the struts and doesn't use a strut spacer along with the upgrade to the Fox 2.0 shocks. But thank you to everyone who responded because it has helped me make up my mind.

Archived