Daystar Coil Spring Spacers

Has anyone installed Daystar (or another brand) coil spring spacers in the rear suspension of their truck? I have a 2000 Yukon 2wd and I'd like to get a little more height on the back end (currently, it is about 36" from ground to top of wheel well), and I wanted to hear about others' experiences with coil spring spacers of any kind.

-- What brand did you use?

-- How much did you pay?

-- How much lift did it give you?

-- How did it effect the ride quality?

-- What is the installation process (can I just squeeze them in between, or do I have to jack the back end up, remove the wheels, disconnect brake lines, and extend the springs?)

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

I've had the Daystar 2 inch spacers on my Grand Cherokee since 2000. I gained 2 inches of lift and it did not seem to affect ride quality at all. To install the spacers, you have to remove the coil springs and put the spacers on top of the spring. I don't know if they fit on the top or bottom of the spring on a Yukon/Tahoe, but you can't just slide them in. These spacers do not fit between the coils like the cheap junk sold at auto parts stores. You want to stay away from those.

When you added the spacers, did you need to add new bump stops, too?  Did you have problems with losing vertical travel?  I'm just wondering if there is anything else I need to do.  Also, I've read that people who have added 2" spacers get more than 2" of height out at the wheels... has this happened to anyone?  

I could really use our help here.  Anyone with spacers, let me know about  your experiences with them.  My Yukon is roughly 36" all around.  I'd like to get it to 37.5 or 38" in back, then crank the t-bars up to 37" or so in front.  Is this feasible on my 2wd with just the spacers and a basic torsion bar crank?  Will my ride suck after I do it?

I didn't add any bumpstops on my Grand Cherokee. On the ZJ, the shocks limit the downtravel so I didn't loose or gain any travel since I didn't replace them either. I think that adding spacers to the coil springs is similar to cranking the torsion bars on the front in that a little is OK but there is a limit to what you need to add. I would suggest that you contact Daystar at www.daystarweb.com. I think you can get the added height you want with the combo of the spacers and torsion bar adjustment.

• 4 months later...

I've installed DAYSTAR (had them installed by a local shop) on a Silverado 1500 2WD Sportside 2001 model.

The spacers are 1 1/2" thick but give 2" of lift.

Cost -/+ $80,00 american plus 2-3 hours in the local shop.

This is not a weekend/backyard project.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Archived