Adding new Radio

I am thinking about adding an aftermarket radio. I am leaning towards the pioneer nex systems. Will I lose info displaying on the dic like music info etc? Will the steering wheel controls work etc??? I have never done anything like this before. I am getting fed up with the constant inconsistent performance of the my link system. I have the 8 inch unit with kodiakz nav.

You should think long and hard before continuing along this path. So much integration is involved... also, your 8 inch screen is just that. It's not a "radio" anymore. Just a monitor.

Anything can be done, but be ready.

You can upgrade the system to make it great, but keeping the head unit/monitor and the HMI will make it much easier.

When you say upgrade the system, what do you mean exactly ?

He means you can add aftermarket audio equipment like new speakers, subs, amps, sound processors, etc. All without having to use an aftermarket amp, you can integrate all that stuff with the OEM headunit.

I was talking about new headunit. Is that a complicated switch?

Well take a minute and play with the radio screen.. Turn your hvac on and off.. It displays in the radio, all the truck settings... Goes thru the radio screen... Good luck

I am thinking about adding an aftermarket radio. I am leaning towards the pioneer nex systems. Will I lose info displaying on the dic like music info etc? Will the steering wheel controls work etc??? I have never done anything like this before. I am getting fed up with the constant inconsistent performance of the my link system. I have the 8 inch unit with kodiakz nav.

Most likely your new stereo will be able to show music info. As far as the steering controls, you might need some adapter to make them work. Personally I like the how stock one looks, but if you do go that route and want to sell your stock stereo then I might take it from you.

Alpine has a unit that looks really good, but I don't think that they connect to the vehicle bus to display information like the MyLink system does.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktx-gm8k2/

For pretty much any aftermarket stereo, you need to buy an adapter to integrate the steering wheel controls into the new head unit. PAC Audio makes adapters for just the steering wheel controls ( SWI-CP5 ) or you can get an adapter that connects the radio and seeing wheel controls to the truck without cutting into your factory wiring.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSearch.aspx?Make=Chevrolet&MakeId=4&Model=Silverado&ModelId=1376&Year=2014&YearId=35

Hope this helps.

I didnt know that Alpine product existed, but I Googled it. The unit is 1600.00, the trim piece is 500.00, the steering wheel adapter is 70.00, add bluetooth and satellite modules maybe 250.00, amp and speakers (good stuff) 800.00 at least, and expect 1000.00 for installation and wiring. Add tax and you're at $4500.00.

Time to buy a new truck.

I didnt know that Alpine product existed, but I Googled it. The unit is 1600.00, the trim piece is 500.00, the steering wheel adapter is 70.00, add bluetooth and satellite modules maybe 250.00, amp and speakers (good stuff) 800.00 at least, and expect 1000.00 for installation and wiring. Add tax and your at $4500.00.

Time to buy a new truck.

Or velcro a tablet on top of the stock unit lol.

This is my prototype. Nexus 7 2nd gen connected to the trucks Bluetooth. Hotspot in the truck with 5gb of lte for $10 monthly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived