Dome light removal?

I want to install an NMO antenna for my HAM radio in my 2015 Silverado. Does anyone know how to remove the dome light so I can access the roof above the headliner? I don't want to break it by forcing it out. My plan is to drill the roof through the removed dome light and then fish the antenna wire over to one of the rear side pillars and down under the carpet. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

I want to install an NMO antenna for my HAM radio in my 2015 Silverado. Does anyone know how to remove the dome light so I can access the roof above the headliner? I don't want to break it by forcing it out. My plan is to drill the roof through the removed dome light and then fish the antenna wire over to one of the rear side pillars and down under the carpet. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

If you are referring to the front overhead console assembly??? The small panel that has the dome LED and garage controls(if you have the option) that is in front of the sunglass holder pops down with four tabs holding it in place. Once this is popped down there may be enough room for you to work. If not the entire console will come down if you remove the two screws that are holding it to the roof, there are two types of screws holding it up, I would remove the two blacks screws that are farther in the assembly not the two zinc plated ones. Once these are removed the console will pull down, there are two front clips that hold it in as well. You can than disconnect it from the connector so its out of you way.

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

your dome light is held in place by metal spring clips . I took a small screwdriver , put it between headlinder / lamp an pry apart easy . the clips are in the middle of lamp . hope this help .

• 1 month later...

Nice. I ended up using the plastic pry bar to get those two retention clips loose. Sure was a tight hole. What about tips when drilling the hole in the roof?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would not drill through the roof your damn crazy (not saying I haven't done it but....), you can route the wires through the back towards CHMSL, modify lamp assy... just a little and some nice black silicone that's easier to replace/fix if it leaks.

or route it to the rear vents, or bottom floor caps, there are 4 I believe, one is where the e-brake cable runs through under the driver footwell and mount the NMO antenna to the bed.

Edited by camcamaro1991

Us ham radio ops are a crazy bunch, anything for a good ground and an extra dB!... yep, I drilled a nice big (3/4"?) diameter hole in the middle of my new truck cab roof. It was a few inches from the dome light opening toward the front of the vehicle. I also removed the paint down to bare metal in a small ring around the hole, on the top and the underneath side. Installed NMO mount and ran cable down passenger side of windshield past fusebox & under floor trim at passenger's side door. Put radio under passenger seat with remote head on dash. Power from spare 30amp sunroof fuse on passenger side fuse box, upper right stab.

• 1 year later...

Thank you guys.  The picture was worth a thousand words.  I was hesitant to remove the rear dome light on a month-old truck (2018 Colorado ZR1) without some guidance.  Got the light out of the way and drilled a 3/8" hole in the roof for a scanner antenna.  Everything still works.