Glove Box Sticker Says "No Slide-in Camper" ... Why Not?

Stupid question, but you don't have the composite bed do you? Maybe higher center of gravity with z71 package.

Not sure why you think a truck with the Z71 suspension would be higher than one with regular 4x4, or NHT, or Z85, or Z83. The difference is shock valving, that's it.

The answer is it's a 1500 1/2 ton pickup and it is unsafe, simple as that.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

There's got to be more to it than that.

My 2006 GMC Sierra SLT K1500 1/2 ton X-cab Short Box 4x4 Z71 says it can take a camper and also a 5-th wheel. (Well, not at the same time, I guess.) Pages 4-70 thru 4-82 of the Owner's Manual give specs for trailers and include notation for 5-th wheels. Pages 4-59 thru 4-61 give specific instructions for campers. Attached is photo of glove-box label with specs for slide-in camper. Although admittedly a 759-pound camper isn't much.

My truck has the "heavy-duty" trailer package also, maybe that makes a difference - ?

post-54380-0-26520900-1429757674_thumb.jpg

Edited by 06pirate

As said, not enough payload and bed too short for those with the 5'6" bed. Those slide in campers can get pretty heavy when they are empty. By time you load them up and have that all sitting on your rear axle (mostly), your truck's suspension is going to close if not way over loaded.

Oh, heavy duty trailer package. That probably does make the difference. That would have also probably included the 3.73 axle, potentially. That also makes a difference. Finally, that 06 may have the slide-in camper prep package. That was one of the options if I recall correctly.

Oh, heavy duty trailer package. That probably does make the difference. That would have also probably included the 3.73 axle, potentially. That also makes a difference. Finally, that 06 may have the slide-in camper prep package. That was one of the options if I recall correctly.

That could be one reason for the difference from '03 to '06. Another reason could be that GM made several changes/upgrades on the '06 compared to the '03. I know they got more power out of the engine and some upgrades to the transmission as well.

BTW, just a side note, I have been looking into this myself, looks like the ones with no wood in the build are much lighter, they use modern composites and all aluminum frames, there is more than one company selling them, example: http://www.livinlite.com/6_8-overview.php

I already decided that you get more room and bang for your buck with a Travel Trailer, I really like the design of this one, BUT will need to win the lotto first :) : https://www.livinlite.com/camplite21bhs-overview.php