Thoughts on wheel spacers?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The physics of spacers and claiming they make no difference seems suspect.

If spacers are moving the attachment to the axle out from where it was then it would seem that hung weight is further out from the bearing. I have somelimited experience with wheel spacers, in that I purchased two inch spacers for my Kubota tractor (fancy aluminum billets made) for my rear axle, to make the tractor more wide stance on hills. It works, but I knew I would be voiding my warranty on axle and bearing problems with my tractor.

What is different about spacers on a pickup truck? Maybe I am missing something ?

The physics of spacers and claiming they make no difference seems suspect.

If spacers are moving the attachment to the axle out from where it was then it would seem that hung weight is further out from the bearing. I have somelimited experience with wheel spacers, in that I purchased two inch spacers for my Kubota tractor (fancy aluminum billets made) for my rear axle, to make the tractor more wide stance on hills. It works, but I knew I would be voiding my warranty on axle and bearing problems with my tractor.

What is different about spacers on a pickup truck? Maybe I am missing something ?

Voided your warranty? This the same with trucks?

I measured my studs the other day when i had the wheel off because i would like to add wheel spacers eventually. its about 1.6" but the end of it is a tapered end and smothed off so there are no threads to engage. you actually have about 1.5" of thread to begin with, which I would like to go with a 1.5" spacer.

wheel spacers shouldnt put any more stress on the hub than an aftermarket wheel with more offset would.

So it seems to be obvious then that despite what the sellers of truck wheels and spacers would tell us.........that anything that moves the weight pivot attachment point further from the bearings is going to cause increased loads and wear on the truck bearing pieces. So although the truck bearing might be robust enough , they are seeing increased loads that will eventually cause wear or fractures depending on severity of loads imposed.

I imagine that is why various tractor manufacturers void warrany claims where spacers involved.

Have had 1.5" spacers installed on a '04 Dodge before. When driving on roads with deeper ruts it always kept on pulling one side or the other because the wheels weren't the same width as them. Also you will feel more the holes and imperfections of the road in your steering.

Like Spurshot said above, adding wheel spacers, depending on size, will decrease overall spring rate thus making a softer ride. A 1" spacer will not make much of a difference though.

So what you are saying is if you effectively spaced your wheels 4" + out, it will lower the truck?

This is incorrect. The only thing that affects spring rate is the suspension geometry and the springs themselves.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back to life.

Does anyone have pics of OE wheels with spacers? If so, please post them up with details on width of spacer.

Bringing this back to life.

Does anyone have pics of OE wheels with spacers? If so, please post them up with details on width of spacer.

I'll get one for you as soon as I get new tires. I just can't decide on 275/60 or 305/50. Want to keep the tires P rated.

But, here's a truck with OE wheels/tires on 2" RC spacers.

post-130662-0-23414800-1412911097.jpg

post-130662-0-28168600-1412911182.jpg

I'll get one for you as soon as I get new tires. I just can't decide on 275/60 or 305/50. Want to keep the tires P rated.

But, here's a truck with OE wheels/tires on 2" RC spacers.

post-130662-0-23414800-1412911097.jpg

post-130662-0-28168600-1412911182.jpg

Thanks!

From that angle, looks like 2" is a bit more than I want. Would love to see 1.5" spacer [emoji4]

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

Thanks!

From that angle, looks like 2" is a bit more than I want. Would love to see 1.5" spacer [emoji4]

Ask and you shall receive.

Before

IMG_2668.jpg

After

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

Ask and you shall receive.

Before

IMG_2668.jpg

After

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

Grrr, I think 1" would be perfect. Don't get me wrong, your truck looks great, but that might be a tad much and do some chipping to the sides. Your back looks great, but the fronts seem to poke out a tad more. Or maybe it's just the angles.

Archived