Thoughts on wheel spacers?

What is your guys opinion on using wheel spacers for a few months, or a year.

I have a '15 Silverado WT with everything stock. I was looking to swap my wheels until plowing season rolls around. I really enjoy the look of the `14 Ltz wheels, but then I cannot get the tires I would like. So, temporarily until I make up my mind would it be alright to put 1.25" spacers on?

If so, then comes my second question. What are a good set to go with? I was looking at the G2's, but I have no idea.

Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wheel spacers and offset are the same thing. If you get a set of BORA spacers you will be fine since they are hub and lug centric. Also if you plan to get anything smaller then 1.75" spacers you will have to trim your studs. I know some people have been able to clean 1.5" without trimming their studs but that is because there is enough backspacing behind the wheel that allows for the stud to stick out.

Since you asked for opinions I will say I would never use spacers because they change the load on the front wheel bearings and I don't understand why you think you need to use them.

Older style non-hub/lug centric wheel spacers would transfer the load farther out on the studs causing pre-mature wheel bearing wear. Newer style hub/lub centric wheel spacers are safe to use. I've used them for years in multiple of my vehicles and are used to widen the track and give a better look.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_wheels_spacers.aspx

I've actually been thinking about adding some and keeping my factory wheels when its time to replace my tires. I think a 1" spacer would widen the track and make the wheels sit flush, or sit just a tad bit past the fender line. With some nice 33" AT tires it would look perfect.

I would like to push out an inch or so as well. However, I don't want to trim studs, and I don't want to push out 1.75 as posted above to clear the studs.

I would like to push out an inch or so as well. However, I don't want to trim studs, and I don't want to push out 1.75 as posted above to clear the studs.

I've never heard about having to trim studs before, better yet, I've never had to do that and I would never do that since if I were to remove my spacers I would not feel safe going back to a stock setup since the studs might not be a proper length.

All the wheel spacer I've used before have actually been "adapters" like the ones below.

http://prowheeladapters.com/88-14-1-2-ton-chevy-truck-wheel-spacers-1-pair.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6tepBRDLqLnxouaY_pkBEiQAPIOiBqd1otl8kg7B2Za74IPAgFXYKLNYY3tvwEqW2zux26oaAr9n8P8HAQ#

You slide these over the existing studs and use the supplied lug nuts to secure the adapter to the existing hub. The existing lugs might stick out a bit past the adapter but the factory wheels, and many after market wheels. Have recessed areas around the mounting surface for this exact reason.

wheelcomparo.jpg

Wheel on the left is spacer friendly, wheel on the right is not. I've looked at various GM factory wheels and they all seem to be wheel spacer friendly.

I figured the guy who posted above who mentioned needing 1.75 had already done this.

The spacers you talking about and linking are exactly the same that I have experience with.

If we can get away with a 1" spacer/adaptor, I'd be all over doing that. I'll have to measure the pockets in teh back of the wheel and then measure the studs as well.

I figured the guy who posted above who mentioned needing 1.75 had already done this.

The spacers you talking about and linking are exactly the same that I have experience with.

If we can get away with a 1" spacer/adaptor, I'd be all over doing that. I'll have to measure the pockets in teh back of the wheel and then measure the studs as well.

I'm with you there. If I did go with a spacer on my current OE wheel setup I'd only do a 1".

Wait wait, so if I want to get 1.25" I'll have to trim my studs? I can't say I've heard of that myself as well.

$50 each for the Bora's isn't that bad. But If I'd have to trim up some studs, I may just skip putting these on..

I agree. Next time I have my wheels off I am going to measure the studs.

Please do if you could! I'd like to know before I purchase the 1.25"s haha..

Archived