Gibson Exhaust

So obviously I am new to the Forum from the my post, but I have been lurking a bit on here the past month since I have found the Forum.

So my question is this. Has anyone had a Gibson Exhaust... specifically the GIB-5657?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/gibson-split-rear-exhaust-systems?autoview=SKU&keyword=GIB-5657&sortby=BestKeywordMatch&sortorder=Ascending

It is the chambered and Louvered muffler. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Gibson Dual Extreme in stainless steel. I compared it to the stainless version that you linked, and the parts list is identical. You can install them either straight out the back or out the sides.

That being said, it's a great exhaust. Not over powering, has a good grumble, and sounds good. In V4 mode I can hear the helicopter sound, but it's subtle... nothing I can't live with.

Installation was relatively easy... I cut the old system off and had it on in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

I have the Gibson Dual Extreme in stainless steel. I compared it to the stainless version that you linked, and the parts list is identical. You can install them either straight out the back or out the sides.

That being said, it's a great exhaust. Not over powering, had a good grumble, and sounds good. In V4 mode I can hear the helicopter sound, but it's subtle... nothing I can't live with.

Installation was relatively easy... I cut the old system off and had it on in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

Off topic: What rounds are you popping in the Sig? LOL!!

RT

I appreciate the feedback. I just seemed to like the chambered/ louvered muffler idea, best of 2 worlds... From what I seen on YouTube of the various Gibson's exhaust.

Are you sure your system has the same muffler as the one I was asking or thinking about? Is your muffler the round or oval shaped? I'm leaning towards the oval shaped muffler. The only reason I was asking was, because I was looking at Summit Racing and I didn't see the Extreme listed with the same muffler number. I'll look at the Gibson website.

Much appreciated...

That being said, it's a great exhaust. Not over powering, had a good grumble, and sounds good. In V4 mode I can hear the helicopter sound, but it's subtle... nothing I can't live with.

Hope this helps.

Does it drone going down the highway? I'm looking into the same exhaust

Off topic: What rounds are you popping in the Sig? LOL!!

RT

That's my FN-FAL. Shoots .308 from a 20-round mag. Was a full-auto rifle, but was converted to only semi for import purposes. Great rifle.

I appreciate the feedback. I just seemed to like the chambered/ louvered muffler idea, best of 2 worlds... From what I seen on YouTube of the various Gibson's exhaust.

Are you sure your system has the same muffler as the one I was asking or thinking about? Is your muffler the round or oval shaped? I'm leaning towards the oval shaped muffler. The only reason I was asking was, because I was looking at Summit Racing and I didn't see the Extreme listed with the same muffler number. I'll look at the Gibson website.

Much appreciated...

Mine is the stainless steel version rather than the aluminized one you linked earlier, so the part numbers between the two are slightly different. The stainless steel version of the Dual Split exhaust (65657) and the Dual Extreme exhaust (65758) both have the same exact parts. Same muffler (11235S) same pipes, clamps, everything.

The aluminized version of each exhaust has the same part numbers as well. You just drop the "6" at the start of the main part number, or drop the "S" at the end of the part numbers listed in the instructions.

So for example, you linked the 5657 aluminized dual split exhaust. The part number for the muffler is 11235. Notice that it's the same (minus the "S") as the one I have. The same muffler is in the Dual Extreme kit, too. Oval muffler, not round.

Here's the link to the Gibson page that shows all of the exhaust systems for our trucks:

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/2014Chevy.php

You can download the instructions for the 5657 Dual Split from here:

http://gibsonperformance.com/products/retail_prod_annoucement.php?product_number=5657

You can also download the instaruction for the 5658 Dual Extreme from here:

http://gibsonperformance.com/products/retail_prod_annoucement.php?product_number=5658

Both instruction sets list every part number for each kit. There's also a link to the stainless steel versions on there, too.

Hope this helps.

Does it drone going down the highway? I'm looking into the same exhaust

Depends on what your definition of "drone" means, I suppose.

My C6 Corvette had a Magnaflow exhaust... and at certain speeds/engine RPMs I had drone while running down the highway. It was noticably louder, almost mind numbing... chage up the RPMs and it would go away.

This exhaust doesn't seem to have that problem. It is obviously louder than stock, but not like the Magnaflow on my Vette was... and when cruising down the highway, I don't notice it all that much.

The cab of our trucks is so well insulated from sound that I was surprised that the exhaust wasn't louder than what it was... but then a buddy drove it while I was standing there, and outside and to the back it's louder than I thought, but not obnoxious.

Probably the most 'weird' thing is when the engine kicks over to V4 mode. People have described the sound as a helocopter flying by... and that's pretty accurate. It's a low frequency, "whuh, whuh, whuh..." but not all THAT loud. Just noticable. When I hear it, I look for the V4 on the dash. Sure enough, there it is. Noticable, but not something that would ever cause me to go back to stock.

I mean let's face it... I wanted it louder to begin with. That's why I went aftermarket in the first place. <shrug>

Depends on what your definition of "drone" means, I suppose.

My C6 Corvette had a Magnaflow exhaust... and at certain speeds/engine RPMs I had drone while running down the highway. It was noticably louder, almost mind numbing... chage up the RPMs and it would go away.

This exhaust doesn't seem ot have that problem. It is obviously louder than stock, but not like the Magnaflow on my Vette was... and when cruising down the highway, I don't notice it all that much.

The cab of our trucks is so well insulated from sound that I was surprised that the exhaust wasn't louder than what it was... but then a buddy drove it while I was standing there, and outside and to the back it's louder than I thought, but not obnoxious.

Probably the most 'weird' thing is when the engine kicks over to V4 mode. People have described the sound as a helocopter flying by... and that's pretty accurate. It's a low frequency, "whuh, whuh, whuh..." but not all THAT loud. Just noticable. When I hear it, I look for the V4 on the dash. Sure enough, there it is. Noticable, but not something that would ever cause me to go back to stock.

I mean let's face it... I wanted it louder to begin with. That's why I went aftermarket in the first place.

I like to hear it when I open her up, but for long trips I prefer it stay close to stock sound levels

I don't need to worry about the v4, I have the disabler

I like to hear it when I open her up, but for long trips I prefer it stay close to stock sound levels

I don't need to worry about the v4, I have the disabler

If you have V4 disabled, then it's going to sound smooth... a bit louder than stock, obviously.

My fiance` and I ride around and she has never complained about it once. We can talk over it just fine, and with the tunes on we don't notice it all that much.

Unless I kick it in the azz... then it wakes up. :-)

Just seen your reply. I had already called Gibson earlier and confirmed the information I was inquiring about. Yippers, same muffler, oval shaped and all. I do appreciate all the information that you posted in response to my question and the other member's questions. Answered everything. All I need now is a sound clip of your truck... LOL

I just had the Gibson dual sport put on my truck. I had the single on my last truck also, both in stainless. They both exit in the stock location. I am happy with the dual sport, nice rumble with no noticeable drone. It bolted right on using stock hanger locations. I had the flapper in the stock exhaust removed and it still sounds good in V4 mode, you can still tell the difference when it switches but sounds better than stock. Gibson makes a good product, you should be happy.

Take a look at Jegs website, I got my stainless exhaust shipped to my door for $531.99, it was considerately cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

If you have V4 disabled, then it's going to sound smooth... a bit louder than stock, obviously.

My fiance` and I ride around and she has never complained about it once. We can talk over it just fine, and with the tunes on we don't notice it all that much.

Unless I kick it in the azz... then it wakes up. :-)

So just 1 more question. Did the Gibson system help your MPG or performance in anyway?

So just 1 more question. Did the Gibson system help your MPG or performance in anyway?

Like any exhaust system manufacturer, they claim that they add horsepower, increase MPG, plus make you look sexy, sound like a beast, grows your hair back on your head, etc...

...but to be honest, I couldn't tell you if it did any of those things. Too many variables between winter blend fuel, cold weather, or high wind speeds can change the results of any test. Besides, I like the way it sounds... my MPG probably went down because my foot was in it so much. :-)

Ultimately, I liked the looks and sound clips I heard on line, and made my decision to buy it based on that.

I seriously doubt that any aftermarket cat-back exhaust will change the flow characteristics enough to see a notable change in HP or MPG. (But I could be wrong... I haven't done any empirical testing to prove it. Sorry... engineering brain kicked in there.)

Good luck with your decision.

So I broke down and purchased the Gibson Exhaust... specifically the GIB-5657. I purchased it from www.Realtruck.com for $390.51. That was the best price I found anywhere. It should be shipped out no later than 4-13-2015. That seems like a long wait to be shipped. The Rep from Realtruck said that each system by Gibson is custom built when teh order is placed. I find that hard to believe, but we will see. Hopefully it will make a difference in Mileage and Performance and not just Noise.

Archived