How is your 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 Engine working out for ya?

2 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

So I havent driven a 4.3 since the 95s s10 blazers were around. But i just cant fathom a 4.3 ever being good enough for a full size truck. 

Maybe if your used to putting around in a 4cyl honda, but if your used to trucks then your gonna want more power.

Granted I live in Texas, and I use my truck for actual truck duties. 400+ lbs of tools always in it. Towing trailers, boats and a travel trailer.

I own a 5.3 Yukon XL and it definitely feels like a dog compared to my 6.2 Sierra. Ever since buying that yukon I swore to never buy a 5.3 again. 6.0, 6.2 or the new 6.6. But I do use my truck alot. And honestly some of the stuff I do or tow probably should have me in the 3/4 ton market.

This 95 Blazer 4.3 (LB4) you speak of was a 165 hp. at 4,000 rpm - 235 lb.-ft. at 2,000 rpm.  Iron motor. Iron motor, no balance shaft. TBI. 

The 4.3 liter LV3 this thread is concerning is the alloy Gen 5 Ecotec3 motor with balance shaft, VVT and AFM, DGI and is a flex fuel motor. On gasoline this motor makes 285 hp. at 5,300 rpm and 305 lb.-ft. at 3,900 rpm. On E-85 297 hp. at 5,300 rpm and a stout 330 lb.-ft. at 3,900 rpm 

That is almost identical to many of the Vortec 5.3 V-8's. Better than many of them. Only a few variations of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 LT-1 made as much power or torque. 

Forget the dyno, I owned a 76 Corvette L-48 350 warmed over. That car was 1500 pounds lighter than the RCSB I drive now and this 4.3 LV3 would stomp a mud hole in that Vette. (save top speed).  That's embarrassing.  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy Bear said:

This 95 Blazer 4.3 (LB4) you speak of was a 165 hp. at 4,000 rpm - 235 lb.-ft. at 2,000 rpm.  Iron motor. Iron motor, no balance shaft. TBI. 

The 4.3 liter LV3 this thread is concerning is the alloy Gen 5 Ecotec3 motor with balance shaft, VVT and AFM, DGI and is a flex fuel motor. On gasoline this motor makes 285 hp. at 5,300 rpm and 305 lb.-ft. at 3,900 rpm. On E-85 297 hp. at 5,300 rpm and a stout 330 lb.-ft. at 3,900 rpm 

That is almost identical to many of the Vortec 5.3 V-8's. Better than many of them. Only a few variations of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 LT-1 made as much power or torque. 

Forget the dyno, I owned a 76 Corvette L-48 350 warmed over. That car was 1500 pounds lighter than the RCSB I drive now and this 4.3 LV3 would stomp a mud hole in that Vette. (save top speed).  That's embarrassing.  :)

Oh I hear ya. I know theres a difference between old 4.3 and new 4.3. But even the new 5.3 barely pulls the truck up on the highway. My uncle has a 17 5.3 identical to my 18 6.2, and I also own a 5.3 but older model.

What I'm saying is the 5.3 is just barely enough. So the 4.3 couldn't possibly be enough. Like I said before I'm done with 5.3s and definitely 4.3s.

You put a large trailer behind it 6-9k lbs and it just doesnt have the motor to get up and going. Sure it might cruise 55-60 on flat ground. 

It's just not for me. Now maybe in a single cab config for toodling around town its probably tolerable. I do love how half of this thread is about power the 4.3 puts out on e85. How many people actually run e85 in their vehicle.

I get it, it's cheaper, you can then spend the money on the options you want. But it's a base engine for a reason, it's the bare minimum gm deemed sufficient to power the vehicle. 

I have a friend that's a well driller, pump service. His working truck is a 2015 DCSB with a 4.3. He is VERY happy with the way it pulls anything they put on the flatbed. Backhoe, Bobcat. Trencher, whatever. Yes sir, at full highway speed up any hill in the area. Yes we have a few 7% grades. Not the IKE but...... Thing is he never asked it to pull it's 7,000 cap a quarter mile in 14 flat.

What a DOG, right? 

:rollin:

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:
I have a friend that's a well driller, pump service. His working truck is a 2015 DCSB with a 4.3. He is VERY happy with the way it pulls anything they put on the flatbed. Backhoe, Bobcat. Trencher, whatever. Yes sir, at full highway speed up any hill in the area. Yes we have a few 7% grades. Not the IKE but...... Thing is he never asked it to pull it's 7,000 cap a quarter mile in 14 flat.

What a DOG, right? 

The guys just out of touch. My Avalanche is 285 HP with a 4 speed. I wouldn’t get near a new 4.3 truck or a 4cyl Honda either.
As far as performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KARNUT
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What a DOG, right? 

Lol ofcourse he is going to say he is very happy, he doesnt want to admit he made the biggest mistake buying a v6 truck...

Lol jk all good bud. I'm happy your happy. That's all that matters that we are all happy with the truck we own

3 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Lol of course he is going to say he is very happy, he doesn't want to admit he made the biggest mistake buying a v6 truck...

Lol jk all good bud. I'm happy your happy. That's all that matters that we are all happy with the truck we own

Yep, I'm ecstatic! It makes enough power to overwhelm the tires. Accelerates to the speed limiter by the end of an on ramp. Did the entire summer at a hand calculated 30 mpg and has logged 108,000 miles with two under $10 in parts minor non routine repairs. I'm still on the OEM tires and brakes. 

BTY, my friend made the same mistake six times. The number of Ecotec3's 4.3's in his fleet. Not kidding. 

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

The guys just out of touch. My Avalanche is 285 HP with a 4 speed. I wouldn’t get near a new 4.3 truck or a 4cyl Honda either.
As far as performance.

I haven't driven a 6.2 or 4.3.

I expect the 6.2 to be faster than my 315 HP 5.3. It would be sad if it wasn't.

But I really don't understand the misleading comments about the 5.3 being a dog.

Same for the 4.3. I have to see a 4.3 equipped truck stranded on the merge lane because he couldn't make it. No luck so far.

My 5.3 pulls everything I need.

3,500 lbs lab saw trailer, 5,000 lbs generator, 7,600 lbs utility trailer or my boat. I never felt the NEED for more power.

It would be nice to have more power, but I don't care that my truck is a few seconds slower. Those two or three seconds will not rectify the expensive 6.2.

Even a 4.3 would do the job. The only reason that I chose a V8 over a V6 is... well, it's a German thing...lol

so long

j-ten-ner

• Haha 1

I haven't driven a 6.2 or 4.3.
I expect the 6.2 to be faster than my 315 HP 5.3. It would be sad if it wasn't.
But I really don't understand the misleading comments about the 5.3 being a dog.
Same for the 4.3. I have to see a 4.3 equipped truck stranded on the merge lane because he couldn't make it. No luck so far.

My 5.3 pulls everything I need.
3,500 lbs lab saw trailer, 5,000 lbs generator, 7,600 lbs utility trailer or my boat. I never felt the NEED for more power.
It would be nice to have more power, but I don't care that my truck is a few seconds slower. Those two or three seconds will not rectify the expensive 6.2.
Even a 4.3 would do the job. The only reason that I chose a V8 over a V6 is... well, it's a German thing...lol

so long
j-ten-ner

There’s fast and faster. You have to look real hard to find slow these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

What I'm saying is the 5.3 is just barely enough. So the 4.3 couldn't possibly be enough. Like I said before I'm done with 5.3s and definitely 4.3s.

Both engines will comfortably and safely pull and/or carry to their specified limits.  The more you drive under the maximum, the more the power you have to spare.  My truck is rated to pull to a maximum of 7K lbs.  I frequently get close to the max and feel perfectly comfortable and safe.  I don't pull out to pass vehicles doing the speed limit going up a steep incline but I wouldn't do this with a nitro powered 6.2 when pulling a heavy travel trailer!  If my towing needs someday exceed the limits of my current truck then I'll buy an appropriately equipped truck.  Your perception of "barely enough" would probably be different if you had experience working with earlier trucks. Many of us on this forum were hauling heavy trailers/loads with our 1/2 tons in the 70's and 80's.  Today's 6's double the power of most of these earlier 8's and I've never not made it up a hill! ? Your truck will behave differently while towing/working.  You may have to give it more gas but be assured you'll have more than ample power!

But it's a base engine for a reason, it's the bare minimum gm deemed sufficient to power the vehicle. 

Really, you think the 4.3L is just that?  Please show me RAM,FERD N/A V-6 that will outdo the pretty much "USELESS GM 4.3 Ecotec"  Folks....It's that good of an engine!

I'll just throw my 2 cents in here as well. I was initially hesitant to purchase a 4.3L v6.  before the purchase, I was reading up on pro's and con's and read mostly con's from people that never drove the v6. 

I currently have 2 4.3L trucks for our boys. I previously had an 07 silverado with a V8 and I did not notice any significant difference after a test drive with the 2014 silverado, so I ended up selling that for the first 4.3L as the v6 had similar tow ratings as the previous truck, but got way better gas mileage as a bonus.  Truck was able to cruise at 80 mph and pass on highway.  

Granted, I do not tow much and I planned on handing down the truck to the boys when they started driving, so I was fine with the cost savings when I got the 2014 truck.  I did not mind the acceleration in V6 as much as it is a full size truck, so yes the 5.3L and 6.2L would be faster, but if I want speed, I'll drive my H&C TA that day.  While I will most likely opt for the larger engine on the next truck I buy to keep for myself, that just a personal preference, just like I do not need Denali trim packages on my DD, but its nice upgrades. 

If you do not plan on towing heavy loads that maxes out the capabilities of the v6, then this truck does just fine.  If you need higher towing capacities, then yes, of course the v6 won't hold up well against the larger engines, but I would say for 90% of people out there, the v6 is plenty. 

If you just want bragging rights, then that is fine, but I don't think its necessary to put down someone because they say that they are happy with their v6, for their purposes, it may work out great. 

Edited by peterlawl84

5 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

But it's a base engine for a reason, it's the bare minimum gm deemed sufficient to power the vehicle.  

Actually, GM offered the significantly less powerful 4.3 in its previous generations of Sierras and Silverados. The 4.8 V8 in my '00 Slverado  even had less hp and tq. than my Ecotec V6.   The current version 4.3 can't be the bare minimum. ? It is the base engine with ample power for the specified loads.  If you need/want extra power GM offers more powerful engines.   The fact that GM offers larger optional engines doesn't lessen the capabilities of their "base" engine.

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Actually, GM offered the significantly less powerful 4.3 in its previous generations of Sierras and Silverados. The 4.8 V8 in my '00 Slverado  even had less hp and tq. than my Ecotec V6.   The current version 4.3 can't be the bare minimum. ? It is the base engine with ample power for the specified loads.  If you need/want extra power GM offers more powerful engines.   The fact that GM offers larger optional engines doesn't lessen the capabilities of their "base" engine.

I am aware that was another posters quote as it being "bare minimum" which I completely disagree with.  

• Like 1

Lol you guys crack me up. Like I said. If it works for you then I'm glad your happy. Your can try all you want, you will never sell me on a 4.3. 

Fact is for our k2 body, it's the base engine. It's for the random person who drives a truck and never tows or puts anything in the bed. 

Screaming 4-5k rpm up a hill towing a trailer isnt "just fine" its barely sufficient. That's great you guys are happy with barely sufficient. Heck now they offer a turbo 4cyl for the base engine. You guys will probably be happy with that. 

But anyone who actually uses a truck for truck duties, would never say "damn I'm so happy I bought the 4.3"

The 4.3 is like the crossover of SUVs... " i want an suv but man they are too big, i think I'll get a crossover" i want a truck, but a v8 is too much for me, let me get the 4.3"

LOL...

• Like 1