1992 Chevy C1500 Pickup Tailgate Band Removal Help Needes

I'm trying to help a friend. They have a '92 Chevy C1500 pickup they're wanting to get repainted. We're trying to determine how to remove the tailgate band without damaging the tailgate or bending or otherwise damaging the band. I've searched many older truck forums and cannot find anything out about how to remove it on this particular year truck. We cannot figure out how it's mounted, adhesive or pegs or else wise. We cannot see how to get to the inside of the outer skin of the tailgate to look at it. And I cannot find a replacement available on the older truck parts sellers, LMC Trucks and the like. Anybody know how to remove it and/or where to find a replacement if it gets damaged? Your help is greatly appreciated. Photo is attached.

post-139914-0-53986800-1424308003_thumb.jpg

It's adheasive the entire length and width of the band. Let me tell you they don't glue emblems on like that anymore! I removed mine to get my tailgate repainted and ended up destroying the band. It came off in all one piece but was bent all to hell by the time I got it off. I ended up heating it with a hair dryer and then pulling it off. It left ALOT of black foam adheasive so I fired up the 3000 psi pressure washer and blew off all the remaining adheasive.

My newly painted tailgate looks great but it's debadged since I didn't want to drop the coin in a new emblem.

@2009 GMC, thanks for the first-hand experience tips. I'll let them know. Regarding a new emblem, I've looked online quite a bit and can find nobody that sells them new. I think we'd be down to looking at salvage yards, and then how would we harvest it without damaging it if we could find one? Other option would be some online used parts seller who has a trick for retrieving them without damaging them.

@SouthernSilveradoGuy85, thanks. It's not my call, but I'll let them know of your suggestion.

When repainting the tailgate I have removed them with piano wire. I have a piece of piano wire with 2 pieces of wooden dowel handles one on each end for handles. You heat it up to activate the glue and then start working the piano wire back and forth. Keep working your heat gun until you are done.

@Enthusiast, just heat directly to the emblem/panel? Will a blow dryer work in lieu of a heat gun?

Ya directly on it, just make sure to keep it moving and not hold it in one spot. And yes a hair dryer will work but just not as fast.

@Duck410, I couldn't find the part in the LMC catalog for the year I needed, so I called LMC directly. They double-checked and verified that they don't have the part. Thanks,though, for suggesting it. I also checked with several other OEM truck parts dealers, none of which carry it. Guess it was not used much, was unpopular, or both.

Archived