Bilstein shocks thread

Hey all. Just tried to installing my 5100s tonight. They didn't fit!

I dont know if anyway else ran into this problem, but the diameter of the piston is larger than the inside diameter of the spring hat. I grabbed a caliber and measured out of confusion. Sure enough, the diameter of the 5100s were about 1/32" larger than the stock piston.

Not sure if this is an isolated isue with me or not. Some insight would be much obliged.

And i broke a spring compressir :( what a night lol

Wow - what?

I too just installed my Bilstein 5100's and everything worked perfectly.

Do you have a photo showing the interference fit with the spring hat?

• Like 1

So, I'm trying to determine my best option. I have a '16 CC Z71, front measurement 36.3 and rear 39.6. I'm looking to replace the stock tires with something a little more aggressive and am looking to go with a 275/60/20 with the stock wheels. In your opinions, is it possible to go with the front 5100's on the third setting, potentially raising the front end to around 37.5 and is it possible/advisable to pull the rear blocks and go with the rear 5100's on stock setting, leaving the rear to be sitting roughly at 38.4, leaving a little bit of rake? Also, if this is something that is advisable, will 275/60 wheels fit without rubbing? Thanks all.

Sounds like a solid plan, you may want to just put the 5100s on the top setting tho. 275/60R20 on stock wheels will be fine with any type of leveling kit, should have no rubbing issues. You might be able to get away with a 275/65 with only rubbing on full lock.

• Like 1

Hey all. Just tried to installing my 5100s tonight. They didn't fit!

I dont know if anyway else ran into this problem, but the diameter of the piston is larger than the inside diameter of the spring hat. I grabbed a caliber and measured out of confusion. Sure enough, the diameter of the 5100s were about 1/32" larger than the stock piston.

Not sure if this is an isolated isue with me or not. Some insight would be much obliged.

And i broke a spring compressir :( what a night lol

Oh no, sorry to here of the install troubles. So, lets first check the part number to make sure you got the right shocks. Are they factory upper mounts, or aftermarket like Monroe?

I have a 2016 Sierra CC STD Bed, NHT with 1" level spacer in the front and a 1" lift spacer in the rear. I plan on keeping the spacer in both - what combination should I go with? 4600's in front and 5100's in back?

5100s all the way around. 1st or 2nd setting only on the front.

• Like 1

So on my old '7 GMT-900 before I added my 6" BDS lift. I added a 2" RC leveling kit and added 305/50/20s. I love how the truck drove and handled afterwards.

Before I got my '14 Silverado, I had a '08 Toyota Tundra Crew Max that I had put 5100s on top setting to achieve my level look. Just wondering what I should do?

Go with the top setting on your new set of 5100s :)

2014+ Complete 5100 Set - http://shop.mrtmotorsports.net/bilstein-shock-sets/bilstein-5100-complete-set/2423830433238319/i-2304103.aspx

I have a 7-9 adjustable McGaughy lift on a 2014. I do not like the McGaughy shocks that came with the lift. What part number Bilstein shocks would work with my setup? It's currently set at 7" lift. Any higher and I cannot get into my garage. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 7-9 adjustable McGaughy lift on a 2014. I do not like the McGaughy shocks that came with the lift. What part number Bilstein shocks would work with my setup? It's currently set at 7" lift. Any higher and I cannot get into my garage. Thanks!

There are no front Bilsteins that will work with that kit as it uses its own proprietary lift shock. Your only option up front will be custom built Fox, ICON, RadFlo or King shocks. We do have some that will fit the rear.

There are no front Bilsteins that will work with that kit as it uses its own proprietary lift shock. Your only option up front will be custom built Fox, ICON, RadFlo or King shocks. We do have some that will fit the rear.

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but here it goes. If I run a .5 inch spacer on top of the 5100 on the highest setting (totalling 2.3 inches of lift), can I expect it to handle similarly to a 5100 on the bottom setting with a 2.5 inch leveling kit? I don't really see what the difference would be. All the 5100 does is increase the length of the coilover by raising the spring seat. Spacer kits effectively do the same thing, right? They just increase the length of the coilover. I'm more curious than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

They are different. The Bilstein gets height by adding pre-load to the spring, where as the spacer gets height by increasing the overall shock length. A spacer limits travel, where as the Bilstein allows the max travel to be used.

A spacer is pushing down on the shock, where as the Bilstein does the opposite, causing the spring to push outward expanding the shock.