Bilstein shocks thread

I bought a full set of 5100s. Installed the rear and have been happy and impressed. I have been putting off the fronts because I am going back and forth on the level to install the fronts. I would like the highest setting but have heard that it affects ride quality and put them on the third setting then I have also heard it doesn't. I'd like to get the front as close to the back as possible in hight but I don't want the ride to be too harsh. I do pull a trailer occasionally but plan to install air bags on the rear to level the truck out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spoke many times with bilstein engineers they claim ride difference is negligible. To top it off I had the privilege of driving one set on 1 notch below max. Mine are max and I can't tell a difference in ride quality between settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Any vibrator trucks switch to bilsteins and have good luck?

Seemed to help mine along with the other parts slowly replaced. Mine was a process with new parts taking a bit of vibration out at a time until I found it marginally acceptable. Still probably won't buy another gm after owning 10 or so new ones.

Spoke many times with bilstein engineers they claim ride difference is negligible. To top it off I had the privilege of driving one set on 1 notch below max. Mine are max and I can't tell a difference in ride quality between settings.

Thanks for the info. Going to do them on the highest setting this weekend. Worse case I can change it later but I think it will be fine.

• Like 1

Hey all. Just tried to installing my 5100s tonight. They didn't fit!

I dont know if anyway else ran into this problem, but the diameter of the piston is larger than the inside diameter of the spring hat. I grabbed a caliber and measured out of confusion. Sure enough, the diameter of the 5100s were about 1/32" larger than the stock piston.

Not sure if this is an isolated isue with me or not. Some insight would be much obliged.

And i broke a spring compressir :( what a night lol

So on my old '7 GMT-900 before I added my 6" BDS lift. I added a 2" RC leveling kit and added 305/50/20s. I love how the truck drove and handled afterwards.

Before I got my '14 Silverado, I had a '08 Toyota Tundra Crew Max that I had put 5100s on top setting to achieve my level look. Just wondering what I should do?

So, I'm trying to determine my best option. I have a '16 CC Z71, front measurement 36.3 and rear 39.6. I'm looking to replace the stock tires with something a little more aggressive and am looking to go with a 275/60/20 with the stock wheels. In your opinions, is it possible to go with the front 5100's on the third setting, potentially raising the front end to around 37.5 and is it possible/advisable to pull the rear blocks and go with the rear 5100's on stock setting, leaving the rear to be sitting roughly at 38.4, leaving a little bit of rake? Also, if this is something that is advisable, will 275/60 wheels fit without rubbing? Thanks all.

So, I'm trying to determine my best option. I have a '16 CC Z71, front measurement 36.3 and rear 39.6. I'm looking to replace the stock tires with something a little more aggressive and am looking to go with a 275/60/20 with the stock wheels. In your opinions, is it possible to go with the front 5100's on the third setting, potentially raising the front end to around 37.5 and is it possible/advisable to pull the rear blocks and go with the rear 5100's on stock setting, leaving the rear to be sitting roughly at 38.4, leaving a little bit of rake? Also, if this is something that is advisable, will 275/60 wheels fit without rubbing? Thanks all.

5100's can only adjust the height of the vehicle on the front. The rear 5100's are a little longer than stock shocks so they allow for up to 1 inch of rear lift, but can't actually lift the rear of the truck. I would set the front shocks at the highest setting, which should give you 38.1 inches up front, leaving 1.5 inches of rake if you leave the rear block in. I like the rake because I tow and haul stuff fairly often, and I don't like the look of a sagging truck. That tire size should fit with no issues also.

Another thing to consider when trying to find the "leveled" look is the amount of space between the top of your tires and the wheel wells. At least on my truck, when I had a 2.5 inch RC kit in the front, it looked like the front was higher because there was more space between the top of front tire and the wheel well than on the back. It might have been an optical illusion because the wheel well measurements showed that the front was actually still a little lower than the back, but it looked higher. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Finally got some pics with nothing in the bed. Third highest setting with stock wheels and tires. I wish I'd gone with the highest setting.

Why is that? If I buy them i plan on going with the third setting and am curious why you would go with the highest instead. I figure you will achieve better ride on the third setting instead of the highest

• Like 2

I would like more height and I doubt i would notice the difference in ride quality. Other members here have riden in trucks on the top setting and the 3rd one and couldn't tell the difference. I'm also confident the top setting will still be way better than the stock ranchos and the stock ranchos with a 2.5 level.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2