Bilstein shocks thread

Thanks man for the reply. At this time I only want to lower the rear with shackles. No plans for the front.

Sounds like a plan, go for the 4600.

I have a 2017 CCSB 4X4 with the 6.2L (L86) and Max Trailering Pkg. I tow a 34' Airstream trailer (9,100 pounds and 1,100 tongue weight. I want to maintain the factory ride height, but I'd like a more controlled ride, especially towing. I want the damping to be more controlled...not harsh.

Would the 4600 series Bilsteins be an improvement over the factory shocks?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, the 4600 are a nice improvement over stock. The 5100 will work as well, but the 4600 is a little tighter which should help when you are loaded up

Are their any Bilstein's for lifted trucks? I have a 7" lift on mine but I'm not too impressed with the shocks that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we have several extended length options for the rear up to 8". In the front, all Bilstein offers is the 4600, the 5100 and the upcoming 6112

Sounds like a plan, go for the 4600.

Yes, the 4600 are a nice improvement over stock. The 5100 will work as well, but the 4600 is a little tighter which should help when you are loaded up

Yes, we have several extended length options for the rear up to 8". In the front, all Bilstein offers is the 4600, the 5100 and the upcoming 6112

awesome! Well I want some right now. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I bought a full set of 5100s. Installed the rear and have been happy and impressed. I have been putting off the fronts because I am going back and forth on the level to install the fronts. I would like the highest setting but have heard that it affects ride quality and put them on the third setting then I have also heard it doesn't. I'd like to get the front as close to the back as possible in hight but I don't want the ride to be too harsh. I do pull a trailer occasionally but plan to install air bags on the rear to level the truck out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by spartantx117
  • Like 2

I have a front set of 4600s with only 4K miles on them that I will sell super cheap. I had them on with a spacer but replaced that setup with 5100s. I dont recommend the 4600s with a spacer - not rough, but very sensitive to any street problems.

If your in Houston let me know and we can meet to save shipping.

I have 5100's on all 4 corners with the front set at the 3rd highest setting (1.24" of lift and still roughly .75" of rake). Still running stock tires (Wrangler SRAs) and 18" wheels. I love the way the truck rides now. It came with the rancho shocks and the first kit I had was the RC 2.5". The ride quality with the 5100s is way, way better than the RC+Rancho set up. It's also way better than just Ranchos and no leveling kit. The best way for me to describe it is this:

The ride is less bouncy (really, not bouncy) going slow over rocks and things like speed bumps or driveway curbs and more controlled at higher speeds. The truck is stays planted when going over shittily repaired Florida potholes in a 45-55 mph turn. It is not jarring in any sense around town, and off-road it is less fatiguing because it's no longer underdamped and bouncy. It also handles washboard dirt roads 1 million times better. I thought the damn dash was going to vibrate out with the ranchos. It's not butter smooth now, but it is acceptable.

My advice to anyone with Rancho shocks looking to level, or just improve ride quality, is to go with 5100s. I am probably going to pop mine up to the highest setting soon and add a 1" block to the rear. This should bring the front up to 1.85" and give about 1.25" of rake. Then I want 275/70R18 KO2's!

• Like 2

I have 5100's on all 4 corners with the front set at the 3rd highest setting (1.24" of lift and still roughly .75" of rake). Still running stock tires (Wrangler SRAs) and 18" wheels. I love the way the truck rides now. It came with the rancho shocks and the first kit I had was the RC 2.5". The ride quality with the 5100s is way, way better than the RC+Rancho set up. It's also way better than just Ranchos and no leveling kit. The best way for me to describe it is this:

The ride is less bouncy (really, not bouncy) going slow over rocks and things like speed bumps or driveway curbs and more controlled at higher speeds. The truck is stays planted when going over shittily repaired Florida potholes in a 45-55 mph turn. It is not jarring in any sense around town, and off-road it is less fatiguing because it's no longer underdamped and bouncy. It also handles washboard dirt roads 1 million times better. I thought the damn dash was going to vibrate out with the ranchos. It's not butter smooth now, but it is acceptable.

My advice to anyone with Rancho shocks looking to level, or just improve ride quality, is to go with 5100s. I am probably going to pop mine up to the highest setting soon and add a 1" block to the rear. This should bring the front up to 1.85" and give about 1.25" of rake. Then I want 275/70R18 KO2's!

Curious if you have pictures of your truck with the 5100s at 1.25". Im looking to do the same

• Like 2

Any vibrator trucks switch to bilsteins and have good luck?

I did and yes much better however I have added larger tires rated at E. Only time I feel slight vibs is going up or down a hill. I'd say I'm 99% free of vibrations

• Like 2

I did and yes much better however I have added larger tires rated at E. Only time I feel slight vibs is going up or down a hill. I'd say I'm 99% free of vibrations

Maybe if I can't get the dealership to fix mine I'll look into this.

My OEM "ranchos" ride like a 79 cutlass on the highway. And not in a good way.

Curious if you have pictures of your truck with the 5100s at 1.25". Im looking to do the same

Still trying to figure out out to post pictures. Hope this works.

Stock:

12088319_10207472785843519_6024149688108

Approximately 500 lbs in the bed:

15727300_10155742491613009_3461975650526

Towing roughly 5,500 lbs with about 200 lbs in the bed:

16002933_10211398219776914_9219318257804

Unfortunately I don't have any pics with just the shocks and nothing in the bed. I'll try to get some.