Bilstein shocks thread

Good info to help clear any questions up...

http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/BILSTEIN_B8_6112_Flyer_2016_WEB.pdf

http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/BILSTEIN_B8_5100RHA_Flyer_2016_WEB.pdf

Also i see that Ram 1500 6112 are available for pre order!

Edited by rhino68

Hello, I'm not new to the forum but I just joined and figured I'd contribute to the community.

2016 Silverado 1500 "Z71" removed rancho's and swapped with Bilstein 5100's all around. So after doing a ton of research on this topic I decided to leave the Bilstien front struts at the factory setting and use a RC 2" (Lower Strut Spacer) to level my truck. Now before you say anything, I traded my 15 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 in for this truck and I had put the Bilsteins on the front at the highest setting 1.77". After experiencing the ride with both leveling kits I honestly cannot tell the difference in the ride up front.

Here's my opinion on Bilsteins and the ride:

Positive: truck handles better in corners "not as much body roll" and bumps at high speeds you just glide over. I haven't taken the truck off the pavement yet but I'd bet you can take bumps and potholes at higher speeds with the Billy's. Installed the rears myself in the garage before I had the fronts done and noticed a little softer and smoother in the rear.

Negative: When you live in the city and drive under 45 mph you feel every bump in the road aka "Same as the ranchos."

Outcome: I believe that if you are truly looking for that Tahoe/Escalade/Denali ride out of these trucks with the stiffer Z71 pkg. than we need to look elsewhere. Does anyone or has anyone ever thought about changing out the front springs for an aftermarket "progressive rate coil spring" in these trucks? I have read info on the Fox 2.0/2.5's Icon & King coil-over replacements and I'm sure if you spend $800 + for these that they will no doubt make the truck ride softer on the pavement and off road. My question is instead of everyone worrying about shocks, I believe that changing the front springs out to a progressive rate coil spring with a softer spring rate is what would really impact how the truck rides/feels in the front. I have been looking into this and the only spring company I found that looks like it manufactures aftermarket replacement springs for our truck is moog. I have not found much info on the topic? Anyone else have any info on this topic please post. Lets get this figured out so we can enjoy our $$$ trucks that ride like a buckboard!!!!!

My truck rides the same way. I have 5100s on the front on third setting and stock black shocks on the rear that replaces the ranchos. I have 20 inch tires and I believe thats why I feel every little bump in the road at low speed 20 to 40 in town. Tar strips are the worst. When its times for tires going to look at going to 18s.

Good info to help clear any questions up...

http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/BILSTEIN_B8_6112_Flyer_2016_WEB.pdf

http://www.bilsteinus.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/BILSTEIN_B8_5100RHA_Flyer_2016_WEB.pdf

Also i see that Ram 1500 6112 are available for pre order!

Thanks for these links. Great info spelled out.. Says for the 6112 ride height for a GM pick up is 1.8" and the 5100s has a lift height if 1.85".

I was hoping to get a little more height out of these long awaited 6112s. So now I'm left with a spacer like kit......or risking a divorce after my wife sees the credit card statement after buying fox or kings .

• Like 1

My truck has the Z60 and was hoping to make it through this thread with something definitive that would make it ride a little better over rough pavement. There are a several places in the pavement of the roads, on my way to work, where the pavement overlaps and makes a line that rattles the whole truck.

I do like the idea of a spring rate change. I bet that would help most of the jarring that is occuring. It seems its mostly the front suspension that is stiffest to me.

I use my truck to mostly haul small loads a few times a summer. I pull a small lawn trailer around a few times a summer also. So I do not use mine as a truck as often as some. I do however put about 25k miles a year on it, so I do spend a lot of time in the truck would like it to be less jarring for me.

• Like 1

My truck has the Z60 and was hoping to make it through this thread with something definitive that would make it ride a little better over rough pavement. There are a several places in the pavement of the roads, on my way to work, where the pavement overlaps and makes a line that rattles the whole truck.

I do like the idea of a spring rate change. I bet that would help most of the jarring that is occuring. It seems its mostly the front suspension that is stiffest to me.

I use my truck to mostly haul small loads a few times a summer. I pull a small lawn trailer around a few times a summer also. So I do not use mine as a truck as often as some. I do however put about 25k miles a year on it, so I do spend a lot of time in the truck would like it to be less jarring for me.

IMO good tires not the stock goodyears, air pressure 32-33, and 5100's on the lowest or one up from the lowest(which is where I have it) should make for a better ride at least it has for me.
  • Like 1

IMO good tires not the stock goodyears, air pressure 32-33, and 5100's on the lowest or one up from the lowest(which is where I have it) should make for a better ride at least it has for me.

Thanks for the tip. I just got my annual bonus. If I have any left over I may look into a set of 5100. A new house and there are a few things that we need still so just maybe I can swing a set.

Anyone know off-hand how much the GM front shock top hats cost? I'm wondering if you were to buy the top hats along with the 6112s, maybe the vendor could assemble them so they're ready for install when they arrive and won't require the buyer to either have a spring compressor or pay to have them assembled elsewhere. I'm wondering which would be cheaper, buying the top hats or paying shop labor. Around here, labor prices are pretty high.

• Like 1

Yes, we have one for you. With or with out resi? Is your truck equipped with the Z60?

Which is better, and what would be the price difference?

I have an LT, not sure if it has the z60, although i think its just the standard suspension. It has the zone hydro shocks from the 4.5" lift kit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If the top hats are purchased along with the 6112s, will you assemble the units before shipping? At this point, assembled 6112s are the direction I'm leaning.

By the time the 6112 is released, our full service shop will be open. If so, then yes we can offer assembly.

Which is better, and what would be the price difference?

I have an LT, not sure if it has the z60, although i think its just the standard suspension. It has the zone hydro shocks from the 4.5" lift kit.

Standard 5100 for zero lift, PN 33-238319 are the following.

Collapsed Length (IN): 16.18

Extended Length (IN): 25.79

Collapsed Length (MM): 411

Extended Length (MM): 655

Youll want one with an extended length of 4" or so longer

Go for PN 33-185569 (A Universal 5125)

Collapsed Length (IN): 17.91

Extended Length (IN): 29.7

Collapsed Length (MM): 455

Extended Length (MM): 754.5

or PN 24-067379 (Rear 4" shock for 99 1500)

Collapsed Length (IN): 17.28

Extended Length (IN): 28.29

Collapsed Length (MM): 439

Extended Length (MM): 718.5

Bilstien Universal 5160 with res (4" rear for 2500hd)

Part Number: 25-218206

Collapsed Length (IN): 18.17

Extended Length (IN): 31.26

• Like 1