Bilstein shocks thread

MRT, Im thinking about lifting my 2014 Silverado. With 2-3 inches of rear lift what would be the correct rear shock for my truck? If the stock shock has an extended length of 25.7 inches would I just order a shock with an extended length 3 inches longer? Thanks.

You also need to consider the valving, bushing size and collapsed length

The standard rear 5100, PN 33-238319:

Collapsed Length (IN): 16.18

Extended Length (IN): 25.79

You can go with the 12" 5125 - PN 33-185569

Collapsed Length (IN): 17.91

Extended Length (IN): 29.7

or Bil 33-230382

Collapsed Length (IN): 17.91

Extended Length (IN): 29.67

We can swap these out for the standard rears if you want them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to the whole shock thing for my truck, it's my first vehicle I've delved into modding.

I see you pushing these 5100 for the 1500 sierras my truck was bought with a lifted 6inch procomp lift.

I run 35s will adding these 5100s make my stuff ride smoother? Or will these shocks just allow the wheel more movement before the other tires lift from the ground?

Also I have been told there is nothing that can be done to help lifted trucks with their ride quality. When I hit bumps I feeeeeel it. So that's why I'm asking.

Tha ks

Edited by txab

Okay guys, I currently have the 2" BDS level installed, and I want to get rid of the 1" rake the truck still has. I understand 5100s on the stock setting wont raise the truck any, so should I install the 5100s on the first setting to raise the truck to 2.5" of total level, or take out the level and install the bilsteins on the highest setting and hope I net over 2"? I had them on my last truck with a Mcgaughys 7-9 kit, but Ive never used them on a leveled setup.

I will be ordering from MRT after reading this whole thread and seeing how helpful they are.

post-155210-0-11797700-1478115362_thumb.jpg

Okay guys, I currently have the 2" BDS level installed, and I want to get rid of the 1" rake the truck still has. I understand 5100s on the stock setting wont raise the truck any, so should I install the 5100s on the first setting to raise the truck to 2.5" of total level, or take out the level and install the bilsteins on the highest setting and hope I net over 2"? I had them on my last truck with a Mcgaughys 7-9 kit, but Ive never used them on a leveled setup.

I will be ordering from MRT after reading this whole thread and seeing how helpful they are.

I wouldn't do that, the B5100's are designed to give you more travel out of the strut than with a regular spacer type kit. I would just add a 1/2 rough country type spacer under the lower shock mount to give that extra 1". I have the B's on my 15 and still have about a 1/2 rake. post-155210-0-11797700-1478115362_thumb.jpg or go with RC 3.5"

post-155210-0-29393200-1478115626_thumb.png

Edited by Bwoodkid

attachicon.giflevel kit.jpg

I wouldn't do that, the B5100's are designed to give you more travel out of the strut than with a regular spacer type kit. I would just add a 1/2 rough country type spacer under the lower shock mount to give that extra 1". I have the B's on my 15 and still have about a 1/2 rake. attachicon.giflevel kit.jpg or go with RC 3.5"

I really dont want to add the .5" spacer. Im enjoying the ride quality I have now which is why I was considering putting the Bilsteins on at the lowest setting, rather than getting bilsteins and having to set them on the highest setting.

Bilsteins will improve the ride of any truck that is currently running the stock units, perhaps with a lift kit spacer. These will work, but do not use them on any setting higher than the lowest with a lift kit, or you risk over compressing them.

Anyone who tells you the ride cannot be improved doesnt have knowledge of the right components. Upgrading shocks is one of the biggest changes you can make to the ride. While 5100s are better than stock, the best ride will come from an adjustable 2.5" / 3" front coilover like those from King, ICON or FOX

• Like 2

Bilsteins will improve the ride of any truck that is currently running the stock units, perhaps with a lift kit spacer. These will work, but do not use them on any setting higher than the lowest with a lift kit, or you risk over compressing them.

Anyone who tells you the ride cannot be improved doesnt have knowledge of the right components. Upgrading shocks is one of the biggest changes you can make to the ride. While 5100s are better than stock, the best ride will come from an adjustable 2.5" / 3" front coilover like those from King, ICON or FOX

And soon to be Bilstein :ughdance:

• Like 1

This includes the Rancho shocks? I'm hearing that the 5100's have a stiffer ride than the stock Ranchos.

• Like 1

This includes the Rancho shocks? I'm hearing that the 5100's have a stiffer ride than the stock Ranchos.

I had Rancho's up front and just replaced them with Bilstein 5100's on the max setting. I found the Rancho's fine, but off road they took a long time to settle (i.e. bouncy). The Bilsteins are definitely stiffer, but in a good way b/c they settle quickly. I'm quite happy with them, I just need to swap-out the back.

• Like 2

Hello, I'm not new to the forum but I just joined and figured I'd contribute to the community.

2016 Silverado 1500 "Z71" removed rancho's and swapped with Bilstein 5100's all around. So after doing a ton of research on this topic I decided to leave the Bilstien front struts at the factory setting and use a RC 2" (Lower Strut Spacer) to level my truck. Now before you say anything, I traded my 15 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 in for this truck and I had put the Bilsteins on the front at the highest setting 1.77". After experiencing the ride with both leveling kits I honestly cannot tell the difference in the ride up front.

Here's my opinion on Bilsteins and the ride:

Positive: truck handles better in corners "not as much body roll" and bumps at high speeds you just glide over. I haven't taken the truck off the pavement yet but I'd bet you can take bumps and potholes at higher speeds with the Billy's. Installed the rears myself in the garage before I had the fronts done and noticed a little softer and smoother in the rear.

Negative: When you live in the city and drive under 45 mph you feel every bump in the road aka "Same as the ranchos."

Outcome: I believe that if you are truly looking for that Tahoe/Escalade/Denali ride out of these trucks with the stiffer Z71 pkg. than we need to look elsewhere. Does anyone or has anyone ever thought about changing out the front springs for an aftermarket "progressive rate coil spring" in these trucks? I have read info on the Fox 2.0/2.5's Icon & King coil-over replacements and I'm sure if you spend $800 + for these that they will no doubt make the truck ride softer on the pavement and off road. My question is instead of everyone worrying about shocks, I believe that changing the front springs out to a progressive rate coil spring with a softer spring rate is what would really impact how the truck rides/feels in the front. I have been looking into this and the only spring company I found that looks like it manufactures aftermarket replacement springs for our truck is moog. I have not found much info on the topic? Anyone else have any info on this topic please post. Lets get this figured out so we can enjoy our $$$ trucks that ride like a buckboard!!!!!

• Like 6

So i read through most of this post and can not find anyone stating a release date, I like many of you have been waiting for the 6112 for our trucks. I called bilstein directly and was told they would not be released till mid 2017. Sorry if it was in this thread already.

• Like 1

So i read through most of this post and can not find anyone stating a release date, I like many of you have been waiting for the 6112 for our trucks. I called bilstein directly and was told they would not be released till mid 2017. Sorry if it was in this thread already.

yes, it has been pushed several times. We are hoping its sooner than later.