Bilstein shocks thread

I don't care about adjustability. I like the rake my truck currently has. I just want a suspension setup that will mimick the ride qualities of a late 60's chevy truck. Even at the sacrifice of handling. These new trucks are just too firm/harsh for my liking.

Im in the same boat as you. I want the smoothest ride possible. Why is everyone taking the 6112 into consideration when it doesnt even exist yet? Or am i missing something?

I have owned several pickups and full sized cars over the past few decades and it has been my experience that tires make the greatest impact on ride "smoothness". Stock shocks with premium highway tires will provide greater comfort (IMO) than aftermarket shocks with any of the stock tires. However, if you want to use your truck for activities beyond those expected of a car then it is fair to expect a truck-like ride.

Im in the same boat as you. I want the smoothest ride possible. Why is everyone taking the 6112 into consideration when it doesnt even exist yet? Or am i missing something?

Because it's a new front coilover system that has great reviews from Toyota owners that have the product.

Also it's ~$650 for a pair where Fox/King are closer to $1000/pair. Helps you save some $$ when you're looking for new UCA's as well.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying to have front 5100s installed? If you have a good spring compressor, I'd guess it would be pretty straight forward. I was wondering if putting money into a complete coilover with tophats installed might seem like a better deal if you don't have to pay to have them installed - the difference in purchase price is reduced if you count install labor for the shock or shocks and springs that don't arrive assembled.

I had mine installed last Friday. Paid $138 for installation. Also had 285/65r 18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers put on. I had roughly 3" of rake and now right around an inch. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, rides like a truck should now.

Because it's a new front coilover system that has great reviews from Toyota owners that have the product.

Also it's ~$650 for a pair where Fox/King are closer to $1000/pair. Helps you save some $$ when you're looking for new UCA's as well.

NOT out yet for the Silverado lol

• Like 1

NOT out for the Silverado yet lol

• Like 1

• Like 1

You're correct, that's why I said it has great reviews from Toyota owners, not Chevy owners.

But per MRT, it'll be out beginning of 2017 for Ford & GM.

Edited by ChevyRoofer
  • Like 1

I had mine installed last Friday. Paid $138 for installation. Also had 285/65r 18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers put on. I had roughly 3" of rake and now right around an inch. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, rides like a truck should now.

Any photos of your new setup?

I'm sure that this has been brought up somewhere in the last 45 pages lol, but has anyone had experience with changing the setting in the front down a notch? Is it a full tear apart job, or an easy swap? Since installing the shocks I have started up a business and my truck is now a work truck, put an aluminum contractor cap on (300lbs+) with about 3-500lbs of tools, ladders and wire in the back any given day. Currently it is set to the 3rd highest setting and I would like to drop to the second, or stock height. It sits level to lower than level in the rear without a significant amount of material in the back.

Also would there be any reason to think the shocks may wear prematurely or have any issues in general with having a load of 500lbs constant from now on? I assume not, either way not much I can or will do about it ha.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm sure that this has been brought up somewhere in the last 45 pages lol, but has anyone had experience with changing the setting in the front down a notch? Is it a full tear apart job, or an easy swap? Since installing the shocks I have started up a business and my truck is now a work truck, put an aluminum contractor cap on (300lbs+) with about 3-500lbs of tools, ladders and wire in the back any given day. Currently it is set to the 3rd highest setting and I would like to drop to the second, or stock height. It sits level to lower than level in the rear without a significant amount of material in the back.

Also would there be any reason to think the shocks may wear prematurely or have any issues in general with having a load of 500lbs constant from now on? I assume not, either way not much I can or will do about it ha.

Thanks

That would be a full tear apart, gotta compress the spring and move that lower adjustable perch for the spring. Might be more effective to do the helper spring or bags like was already suggested unless you do it yourself.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 2