Bilstein shocks thread

For those of you who have installed these at the max position, what tire on an 18 stock wheel are you running without cutting/trimming? Originally, I was looking at 295/65, but that was with a 2.25" level kit. Not sure those will still fit/look stuffed now that I'm looking more like less than a 2" level. These will be going on a 16 Sierra AT/X. I believe my stock wheel offset is +33.

Thanks

Jeremy

• not sure if this question has been asked, didn't read through every post. has enyone put a 1/4" (1/4 = 1/2"?) spacer with their B1500 at top setting, and how does it ride. Trying to get my truck completely level and the 5100's still leaves me 1/2 shorter in the front.

I had 5100s on top setting with a 1/4" thick spacer on my '08 to get a full 2"+. The front was definitely stiffer than the stock Z71 shocks. I went back to the stock shocks on the rear after running the 5100s for a while. On a RCSB, stiffer shocks makes for an unforgiving ride.

Not sure who this will all help but I recently had my 5100s adjusted again and the truck seems to ride better for what I'll be doing 90% of the time. I have yet to hit any big potholes but the truck rides noticeably more comfortable. I previously had them set at the 3rd setting with a 1/4" spacer on top and still had 2-2.5" of rake and the front felt very stiff and "jittery" at most speeds on any surface that didn't seem perfectly flat. I just had them dropped down to the stock setting and added a 2" rc spcer and am now sitting with about .5-.75" of rake and no more jittery feel and much more comfortable. Doing what I did probably defeated the whole purpose of the 5100s but I guess we all gotta learn one way or another, but they will be staying on at the stock setting from here on out. I forgot to mention I am also running a 2" rear block with the 5100s on the rear. I know it's not super "technical" but that's just my observations

• Like 1

Yeah, I defiantly notice a big difference using the b1500's over the Ranchos with a rough country spacer. There is a stretch of road on my commute that has some bad pot holes. Before my truck would bounce off the road, now with the B1500's I just glide right over them. Of course if I just slowed down then It shouldn't matter, but what fun is that. So, I'm at the top setting. I think I'll leave it alone since Bilstein engineered them to be installed with no additional spacers. 285 65 18's are going on as soon as I burn off the factory rubber. Thanks for the input.

Update on the Bilstein 6112 for GM Trucks - http://mrtmotorsports.org/news/blog/2016/09/23/definitive-bilstein-6112-shock-guide/

Does anyone have links for the best deals on these? Looking for all (4). Thanks!

$348.82 delivered - http://shop.mrtmotorsports.net/bilstein-shock-sets/bilstein-5100-complete-set/2423830433238319/i-2304103.aspx

I've been holding off a little bit to let the dust settle on all the new shocks coming out for these trucks. I have a 2015 Silverado Regular Cab Short Box 2wd Blackout Edition. The problem is, with the 20" wheels, every bridge expansion joint I encounter at under 40mph makes for a sharp "bang" when I go over them. I don't like how this treats my dash and other interior pieces.

With that being said, what shocks are going to provide me with the softest ride possible? I never haul anything and my truck is just a commuter. If I could get the velvet ride of my '70 C10, I would be estatic. :)

• Like 1

So now we're expecting delivery dates in early 2017 for the 6112 Coilover for Ford & GM...?

Are you sure Bilstein is going to get these out before the 2018 Silverado comes out???

• Like 1

I've been holding off a little bit to let the dust settle on all the new shocks coming out for these trucks. I have a 2015 Silverado Regular Cab Short Box 2wd Blackout Edition. The problem is, with the 20" wheels, every bridge expansion joint I encounter at under 40mph makes for a sharp "bang" when I go over them. I don't like how this treats my dash and other interior pieces.

With that being said, what shocks are going to provide me with the softest ride possible? I never haul anything and my truck is just a commuter. If I could get the velvet ride of my '70 C10, I would be estatic

I think if you go with the Bilstein 1500's you will see a difference. My 1500s are at the top setting (2" lift) when going over potholes/big stuff like it handles well, but small stuff on the freeway like ripples in the road, my truck picks them up bad vibrating the steering wheel, that's rolling on 18's. Since you will keep level?? the bilsteins may help you. The 20/s are a killer for bumps.

Edited by Bwoodkid

With that being said, what shocks are going to provide me with the softest ride possible? I never haul anything and my truck is just a commuter. If I could get the velvet ride of my '70 C10, I would be estatic. :)

No budget limit = Kings

Under 1000 = Bilstein 6112

Wait, I thought the 4600's were the softest, the 5100's were mid-grade (medium ride) and the 6112's were going to be the "off-road" shock with the harshest ride. Am I incorrect?

No the 4600 should be the non-adjustable, 5100 is adjustable, and the 6112 is the new front coilovers.

In regards to the shock, I'd imagine the 6112 riding the best, then the 4600/5100 at the lowest setting, then the 5100 at the highest setting.

• Like 1

I don't care about adjustability. I like the rake my truck currently has. I just want a suspension setup that will mimick the ride qualities of a late 60's chevy truck. Even at the sacrifice of handling. These new trucks are just too firm/harsh for my

liking.

Im in the same boat as you. I want the smoothest ride possible. Why is everyone taking the 6112 into consideration when it doesnt even exist yet? Or am i missing something?

• Like 1