Bilstein shocks thread

Also the more I drove the truck the more I felt the front was over sprung in the front on the highest setting due to the compression of the spring in the highest setting.

The springs are no more compressed in the highest setting as they are in the stock configuration.

The springs are no more compressed in the highest setting as they are in the stock configuration.

I would disagree the difference in ride was very noticeable.

That is due to the shock dampening, not spring compression.

This debate should have a simple, factual explanation but this is hard to find. Here is a link that will either help or add more confusion/misunderstanding. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/185075-coil-spring-compression-and-lift-101/. I ended up buying $35 MotoFab 1.5" spacers as I wasn't convinced Bilsteins was a better way to raise the front of my vehicle.

• Like 1

Well I will be the first to admit I was wrong about this one. It doesn't make 100% sense to me but I get the jist of it. This is also kinda helpful. http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

I was surprised to read this too. Quoted from the Bilstein link:The lift on the 5100 Series leveling shocks is achieved by increasing the preload on the factory coil. By adding more preload, the shock is designed with more rebound damping as compared to the O.E. or standard aftermarket replacement shock.

• Like 1

You might get a little rub on the sway bar...I had 305/55r20 nitto Terra grapplers on stock suspension as well as the 5100's at the highest setting...those tires are probably as close to a 33/12.50 as you can get...they where on stock rims with a +27 offset. The both rubbed on the sway bar and it also rubbed a little on the fender liners at stock height.

The 305/55R20 Terra Grappler G2 specs out as about 1/2" taller but a little over 1/16" more narrow than the 33/12.50 Ridge Grappler. Pretty close.

Quick question, can a guy run the 5100 on the bottom "stock" setting and a 2" spacer? Or would there be any problems due to the 5100 being slightly longer than the stock shocks? Would like to get something done to my truck asap as I have new wheels waiting to go on... Thanks!

Quick question, can a guy run the 5100 on the bottom "stock" setting and a 2" spacer? Or would there be any problems due to the 5100 being slightly longer than the stock shocks? Would like to get something done to my truck asap as I have new wheels waiting to go on... Thanks!

I heard from a popular automotive shop in Texas that this is their preferred method of leveling. I don't fully understand why but I am inclined to believe this would give you a nicer ride. I often read about people complaining about a harsh ride from Bilsteins at max setting but seldom a complaint from people with 2" spacers.

I heard from a popular automotive shop in Texas that this is their preferred method of leveling. I don't fully understand why but I am inclined to believe this would give you a nicer ride. I often read about people complaining about a harsh ride from Bilsteins at max setting but seldom a complaint from people with 2" spacers.

CAN ANYONE BACK THIS UP??

im thinking 1.25" moto fab with 5100 on lowest setting??

I pm'd him, and he was just referring to running the spacers as opposed to the bilstein shocks at top height. Not the spacers WITH bilstein 5100s at stock setting. But nobody seems to have anything to say so I am going to try it, back my 5100s down to stock setting and run my 2" rc spacer.

I pm'd him, and he was just referring to running the spacers as opposed to the bilstein shocks at top height. Not the spacers WITH bilstein 5100s at stock setting. But nobody seems to have anything to say so I am going to try it, back my 5100s down to stock setting and run my 2" rc spacer.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The information I received, as I understood it, was to run the Bilsteins at stock height and use spacers to create the lift. I chose just to go with spacers because I was happy with my stock shocks. I originally thought that Bilsteins method of creating lift was superior (raising the spring perch) but it isn't IMO. Bilstein is arguably a better quality shock than stock and combining these (at stock height) with spacers, I believe, is the best of both!

• Like 2