Bilstein shocks thread

For MRT..... have you had any experience with pulling the stock Magneride suspension out of a recent Sierra Denali and replacing with an after market shock better suited to a 6" lift with 35x12.5x20 tires? No one local has done this yet and there are unanswered questions as to what will happen once the magnetic shock sensors are unhooked . . . i.e error lights on dash, etc.

Thanks,

M

I've had no luck getting MRT to respond to any of my messages, plenty of for sale signs hung out but nothing in the way of the useful information I need before making a purchase.

I can't do business with people I can't communicate with. I hope your situation is different...

• Like 2

I've had no luck getting MRT to respond to any of my messages, plenty of for sale signs hung out but nothing in the way of the useful information I need before making a purchase.

I can't do business with people I can't communicate with. I hope your situation is different...

Email them and they will respond quickly at least they did for me.
  • Like 1

Email them and they will respond quickly at least they did for me.

Unfortunately NOT for me, more than one message I've sent has never been answered in more than 2 weeks time. I'm sure a BS excuse will be forthcoming once the need to hang out another for sale sign is needed. Honestly, it's fine, there are other vendors who would like to have my business, just wish my time wasn't wasted so I could have moved on. Like I mentioned, I hope others have a better experience.

hey ma

I installed a 2.5" leveling kit and now interested in upgrading the shocks, I spoke with a Bilstein rep and he told me that he doesn't recommend installing Bilstein 5100 with a leveling kit. He said they do not have any shock for my application. anyone heard of this?

Hey man I've had the same question after surfing through this tread ive seen multiple people suggest the 4600s (yellow) bilstiens work.... can anyone confirm 100% and if the ride quality is better, I hit certain dips and it throws my passengers dam near out of the truck! Also any one have a DIY on how to replace em? I assume the rears are simple two nuts take it out and replace are the fronts pretty similar ive had cars where I head to drop the whole suspension out compress the springs ect... thanks guys!

I recently installed 5100's and have them on the highest setting. Now when I go over a bump hard, I am hearing a clunk noise. Its only when I go over a speed bump or a depression in the road with any kind of speed. If I go over it slow I hear nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts on what it might be?

I recently installed 5100's and have them on the highest setting. Now when I go over a bump hard, I am hearing a clunk noise. Its only when I go over a speed bump or a depression in the road with any kind of speed. If I go over it slow I hear nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts on what it might be?

Check the torque specs on the upper and lower bolts on the coil/shock assembly as well as the end links bolt. If those are within spec, you may be hearing the bumpstops (I hear this in my stock height truck if I hit certain speedbumps).

I am looking at running 305/55/20 BFG All Terrains and from my research I need a 2.5" level. Looking at either the RC 2.5" lift/level or getting the 5100 Adjustable Bilstein's coupled with the BDS level kit. In theory using the Bilstein's to raising it the extra .5" since BDS is 2"

Can anyone recommend one way or the other, or if my theory is correct?

I would not suggest this, you will be over extending the range that the upper control arm was designed to operate within. Use the 4600s instead.

For MRT..... have you had any experience with pulling the stock Magneride suspension out of a recent Sierra Denali and replacing with an after market shock better suited to a 6" lift with 35x12.5x20 tires? No one local has done this yet and there are unanswered questions as to what will happen once the magnetic shock sensors are unhooked . . . i.e error lights on dash, etc.

Thanks,

M

We have pulled the air systems out of the older models with great success, but have yet to remove or replace a Magneride. To make it work you will most likely need a resistor or EBM (Electronic Bypass Module) to trick the computer into thinking its still there. At this time I dont think the aftermarket has caught up, but trust that they will have an option for that soon.

We looked thru our inbox and have zero PMs to or from you. Please email us at [email protected]

hey ma

Hey man I've had the same question after surfing through this tread ive seen multiple people suggest the 4600s (yellow) bilstiens work.... can anyone confirm 100% and if the ride quality is better, I hit certain dips and it throws my passengers dam near out of the truck! Also any one have a DIY on how to replace em? I assume the rears are simple two nuts take it out and replace are the fronts pretty similar ive had cars where I head to drop the whole suspension out compress the springs ect... thanks guys!

Fronts require a spring compressor, rears are easy like you said. The ride quality is 100% better in our opinion. Bilsteins will make a noticeable upgrade.

Check the hardware, sounds like a loose bolt or a missing bushing.

I am thinking of experimenting with the settings on my 5100's. I have it on the highest setting now.

I am thinking of lowering one or two notches or trying both to compare look and and ride.

Anybody have any recommendations on Macpherson Spring compressors?

I have used the Auto store rentals on lessor springs than this and don't want to even try with these springs.

At $200 for strut changes before alignment I am thinking they could pay for themselves fairly quickly.

Edited by DavidND

Go with a 2.5k wall mounted unit, the coil mounted units are super sketchy.

I have used those on small cars before and they barely work and are dangerous. I have done some research and the following should work pretty well for my occasional use and be somewhat cost effective;

OTC 6592 StrutTamer Extreme with Stand

I have used those on small cars before and they barely work and are dangerous. I have done some research and the following should work pretty well for my occasional use and be somewhat cost effective;

OTC 6592 StrutTamer Extreme with Stand

I just did my 5100s this weekend. I've had an older version of the OTC StrutTamer -- #6580, a "non-extreme" model -- mounted in my garage for a few years.

It'll work, but you REALLY need to use it in conjunction with #6583, a "bridge" accessory that spans the top of the strut mount. Tried it without and didn't have enough leverage on the stock spring. I then did it with the bridge -- as GM's OEM service instructions even show -- and it worked perfectly. Suspect it's probably the same with the Extreme.

In any case, the bridge is only $50...might as well have it on hand when tackling it.

• Like 2