Bilstein shocks thread

the 33" LT tires are adding to the roughness you are experiencing. KO-2's are LT tires and I believe are an 8ply C load range or 10 ply E load range depending on size. Much firmer than the P metric tires that came on the 1500.

Ya I figured the tires were adding to the rougher ride as they are E load tires, with that said do tou believe the 5100s on the highest setting would ride better than just the rc leveling kit? I've also thought about putting the 5100s on the 3rd setting with the small spacer under the shock.

I think the steering geometry from what I've been reading is better with the shock than the spacer.

The better shocks will make it ride different, but not softer. Better for off road with better damping to reduce motion from uneven surface. I've had shock upgrades do pretty much nothing, to making a world of difference on past vehicles.

I'd pull the spacer if you use the shock for leveling, or do a proper lift kit if you want 4-6 (or more) inches.

I have RC2" and stock shocks/tires. Nice ride. Added air springs to re-level with load for trailering, and leave about 10psi in em. I find it firmed the ride a bit, but in a good way. Less bouncy I guess. Seems to be less lean in corners, but the ride is still smooth.

The price you have quoted for a set of four shocks is close to the price quoted for one front 5100 from my dealership!! Has anyone reading tried ordering from British Columbia? If so, what was the final cost?

I just ordered last night from Essex Distributors located in BC to Calgary. Should be here next week. With the CDN dollar taking a nose dive the last two years, it cost me $600.50 CDN. But there is no hassle with customs and fees etc. Its more that I expected to cost, but whatever its only money ha.....

I just ordered last night from Essex Distributors located in BC to Calgary. Should be here next week. With the CDN dollar taking a nose dive the last two years, it cost me $600.50 CDN. But there is no hassle with customs and fees etc. Its more that I expected to cost, but whatever its only money ha.....

Thank you for the information! I hope the Bilsteins work out well for you and also that the postal issue doesn't delay your shipment!

I've read this thread and the wheel/tire thread, but haven't found exactly what I'm lookin for...

Anyone have 5100s only and running 33x12.5x20 Toyos? If so, how bad is the rub?

• Like 1

I've read this thread and the wheel/tire thread, but haven't found exactly what I'm lookin for...

Anyone have 5100s only and running 33x12.5x20 Toyos? If so, how bad is the rub?

I have read this forum at nausea for the past three months!! I just installed the 5100's front and rear on a 2016 Sierra Z71 4x4 and put 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler's on it (these tires spec out at 33x12.50). On an incline at full lock the tire will rub the sway bar very slightly. Full lock on level ground it does not rub.

I have read this forum at nausea for the past three months!! I just installed the 5100's front and rear on a 2016 Sierra Z71 4x4 and put 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler's on it (these tires spec out at 33x12.50). On an incline at full lock the tire will rub the sway bar very slightly. Full lock on level ground it does not rub.

MPG after the upgrades? Are you happy you did it? Your setup looks perfect to me.

I have not put but maybe 20 miles on it. Been in company car all week :throwup: . But I can tell you that it is a different truck. With the 8 speed it is not a dog when taking off and the truck has a firm, planted stance when driving. My computer is saying that I avg 14.6 mpg since putting these on. I will be taking it on a little road trip this weekend and will try to report back on mpg's. If I had a do over I would not change a thing so far.

Perfect, thanks! Now if only Nitto would release their Ridge Grapplers in 33x12.50R20 (or 295-55, etc).

What setting did you put your 5100's on? I have a set showing up tomorrow and I am wondering if I should go all the way to the top or one click down. Going to be getting 33/12.50r22 ridge grapplers when they finally arrive. I currently have 305/55r20's sitting completely stock and only rub slightly when going forward full lock turning left.

What setting did you put your 5100's on? I have a set showing up tomorrow and I am wondering if I should go all the way to the top or one click down. Going to be getting 33/12.50r22 ridge grapplers when they finally arrive. I currently have 305/55r20's sitting completely stock and only rub slightly when going forward full lock turning left.

I put them on the highest setting. According to my tape I got 1.9 inches of lift. I still have a little more than an inch of rake, which is what I wanted.

Well I didn't get around to installing the fronts today due to time constraints, however I did get the tears installed along with some ride rite air bags...hopefully by tomorrow morning I will get the fronts in...with the tears and the air bags I am sitting at about 3" difference front to rear...so with them on max setting I should end up with 40.5" up front and 41.5" in the rear.

Picked up the truck tonight after installing the 5100's.

Before:

16EFBEA1-0FD4-4F90-B64D-E4A0B94B3B60_zps

With the 33's:

33A89754-2181-4EC8-B270-0BE651807BEA_zps

With 33's and the 5100's at top setting along with 5100 in tears and ride tote bags with 10psi:

6718F2E8-93DA-4245-8841-0600782C011A_zps

Final measurements are 39" in front at 41" in rear. Possibly will change after some settling but I believe I only got about 1" out of the 5100's which is odd. I have confirmed they are on the top setting. Sad part is I didn't right down my measurements but I am pretty sure I was at 37.75 before...perhaps I was wrong, but it would be within an inch if not for the 5100'snin the rear and the bags, they have definitely raised the rear. so far I like it and the ride is still very good.