Bilstein shocks thread

I have a RC 2.5 Level with the taller rear block and its kind of bothering me how my truck still has 1" of rake. Only I can notice it I'm sure but I was wondering if I could get a set of Bilstein's in the front to fix this? Besides going back and putting the stock block back in of course... Any advice to make it completely level?

I have a RC 2.5 Level with the taller rear block and its kind of bothering me how my truck still has 1" of rake. Only I can notice it I'm sure but I was wondering if I could get a set of Bilstein's in the front to fix this? Besides going back and putting the stock block back in of course... Any advice to make it completely level?

Because the Bilsteins are longer than the stock shocks, you would most likely get control arm to droop stop contact. Do you have the aluminum or steel suspension?

Because the Bilsteins are longer than the stock shocks, you would most likely get control arm to droop stop contact. Do you have the aluminum or steel suspension?

The control arms are steel if that answers your question. Not sure about anything else

Are you suggesting adding more front height by doubling up on leveling with spacers and adjustable shocks? I have not read about anyone having success with this. A 1" rake, in my opinion is ideal. It is not noticeable and you can carry a light load without looking overloaded!

Are you suggesting adding more front height by doubling up on leveling with spacers and adjustable shocks? I have not read about anyone having success with this. A 1" rake, in my opinion is ideal. It is not noticeable and you can carry a light load without looking overloaded!

yeah that's what I was wondering. I'm just a perfectionist/ maybe some OCD. It's barely noticeable and I probably shouldn't have measured it lol. I'll get over it

I have the 5100's front and rear on my truck and I love the ride. Doing a zone 4.5 lift keeping the 5100's up front but bilstein does not offer a lifted shock for 2014-on 1500. 2013 1500 shows a part number and 2015-on 2500 also shows a lifted rear shock. What should I do??

The problem with adding 5100's to a spacer is that the 5100's are longer than stock shocks. So when you add a spacer, the shocks become even longer than stock, and the suspension has the ability to extend further down. You could get new UCA's that allow for more droop, but then you may overextend the tie rods and cv axels. If your running any sort of front diff drop bracket, it will help with the geometry, but in the end, 5100's with a spacer will still provide more droop than what the drop bracket is designed for.

My suggestion is to run 5100's alone, or with a smaller spacer than whatever came with any spacer kit you bought. Trucks with aluminum front suspension would be hard pressed to get even a 1" spacer in between the 5100 and the coil perch or lower CA before the uca contacts the droop stop on the frame (I tried it).

I'm going to try 5100's on the second setting (.75" lift) and either a .50" or .75" spacer below the shock. I think any more than that the cv's will be very unhappy when the suspension is fully extended. And yes, this will only be around 1.5" of lift, but I will have more droop travel over stock shocks and a spacer that gives a similar amount of lift. Function over form. I may go to a 1" spacer and new UCA's if this setup works out and the driveline geometry is too out of whack.

Hello all total newb here, I've been reading a lot lately and still can't decide what to do. I recently bought a new to me 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 that has a leveling kit and bigger rear block installed and having never had a leveled truck I'm not too crazy about the ride quality, it's got about 1" of rake which is just fit with me. I'm debating a couple things, 1) install bilstein 4600 shocks and leave the leveling kit on and hope it makes it a little better. Or 2) get bilstein 5100s for all 4 corners and remove the front kit all together. The truck also has ~33"X11" ko2's on some 18" kmc wheels. I do a considerable amount of off pavement driving as we go camping and hunting all summer and fall so I'm just looking for a little better ride. So I guess my real question is this, do bilstein 5100s ride "nicer" than a block leveling kit up front? I just don't really like the "jarring" when I got a pothole or bigger bump. Thanks for any input you guys can share

Hello all total newb here, I've been reading a lot lately and still can't decide what to do. I recently bought a new to me 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 that has a leveling kit and bigger rear block installed and having never had a leveled truck I'm not too crazy about the ride quality, it's got about 1" of rake which is just fit with me. I'm debating a couple things, 1) install bilstein 4600 shocks and leave the leveling kit on and hope it makes it a little better. Or 2) get bilstein 5100s for all 4 corners and remove the front kit all together. The truck also has ~33"X11" ko2's on some 18" kmc wheels. I do a considerable amount of off pavement driving as we go camping and hunting all summer and fall so I'm just looking for a little better ride. So I guess my real question is this, do bilstein 5100s ride "nicer" than a block leveling kit up front? I just don't really like the "jarring" when I got a pothole or bigger bump. Thanks for any input you guys can share

I installed the 5100s on all four corners on my 14 silverado Z71 and thought the ride was great. The highest setting leveled the truck perfectly. I went with the leveling shocks over the spacer kits so that the ride quality would be better.

I installed the 5100s on all four corners on my 14 silverado Z71 and thought the ride was great. The highest setting leveled the truck perfectly. I went with the leveling shocks over the spacer kits so that the ride quality would be better.

Thanks for the reply man, so you would think if I removed the front kit installed the 5100s all around with the fronts on the highest setting and kept the bigger rear block it would still keep a little rake and ride better?

Thanks for the reply man, so you would think if I removed the front kit installed the 5100s all around with the fronts on the highest setting and kept the bigger rear block it would still keep a little rake and ride better?

In my opinion, yes; however, I'm by no means an expert on this topic. You need to make sure the bigger rear block is within tolerances for the rear shocks. If I remember correctly you can use a block up to one inch taller than the stock block, but you'll need to confirm.

i have the rancho shocks and a rough country 2.5" level kit. if i put the bilsteins 5100 shocks in should i removed the level kit

From the research I did last year, I think you should remove it - at the least, the front spacer. I remember reading about a lot of folks trying to use the 5100s with a level kit and it didn't work well on the front end. I would not leave the front spacer on with the 5100s; though you may be able to leave the rear block (I'm assuming your level kit came with a replacement rear block since it's a 2.5). Others with more expertise and experience may be able to offer better guidance.

Edited by pcruis1
  • Like 1

the 33" LT tires are adding to the roughness you are experiencing. KO-2's are LT tires and I believe are an 8ply C load range or 10 ply E load range depending on size. Much firmer than the P metric tires that came on the 1500.