Bilstein shocks thread

What is making folks excited and waiting for the 6112'?. I just ran across them on th bilstein site. I understand the coil is better, softer?

Well the shock body is a larger diameter so in theory it should do everything better, 62MM if I remember right. Spring made for the shock and have a great reputation on other platforms they are out for already.

Its a pretty big jump, think stock is 43ish and that size K02 lists at 54.5.

Stock size K02 is 53.1

. Yep, the KO2 is just heavy as crap combined with really high rolling resistance. I just switched them out with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and got 3 mpg back instantly. Loved the look of KO2s but not enough for that mpg hit and the Nittos are way quieter. Problem solved for me. I don't do hardcore off roading anyway, just gravel roads.

. Yep, the KO2 is just heavy as crap combined with really high rolling resistance. I just switched them out with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and got 3 mpg back instantly. Loved the look of KO2s but not enough for that mpg hit and the Nittos are way quieter. Problem solved for me. I don't do hardcore off roading anyway, just gravel roads.

I came to the same realization, I loved the KO's on my F150 when I bought it used. I got terrible gas mileage though and they probably played a large part Im finding out as I look into what tires are next for my Silverado. I just dont leave the pavement enough to justify getting the Ko2's. Ill pick up the passenger tire version of the Nitto Terra Grappler or Toyo Open Country instead. Weight is much closer to stock and both are still much better tires..

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed the 5100 bilsteins on 3rd setting ,absorbs bumps and road cracks a lot better not so jarring . the only problem I'm having is the drivers side is making clunking noise checked it and the center strut nut was not tight enough, tightened it some more not as bad but can still hear it. any ideas or info would be great.

Just installed the 5100 bilsteins on 3rd setting ,absorbs bumps and road cracks a lot better not so jarring . the only problem I'm having is the drivers side is making clunking noise checked it and the center strut nut was not tight enough, tightened it some more not as bad but can still hear it. any ideas or info would be great.

When you say the ride is not so jarring is it just alittle better or maybe up to 50% better. Mine is really rough on potholes in town when going about 20mph. Sometimes it bangs the hell out of the front end. I cross a bridge everyday with a high approach and the front ends tops out. This is the only truck I have ever owned that does this. I guess Iam asking do you think the 5100's are worth going to would you do it again. I have been waiting for the 6112 shock and spring package for over a year and a half. I called bilstein a few days ago and said it would be 6 more months which is what I get everytime I call.

When you say the ride is not so jarring is it just alittle better or maybe up to 50% better. Mine is really rough on potholes in town when going about 20mph. Sometimes it bangs the hell out of the front end. I cross a bridge everyday with a high approach and the front ends tops out. This is the only truck I have ever owned that does this. I guess Iam asking do you think the 5100's are worth going to would you do it again. I have been waiting for the 6112 shock and spring package for over a year and a half. I called bilstein a few days ago and said it would be 6 more months which is what I get everytime I call.

I had the Rough country 2" spacer and to me I noticed a big difference in ride. yes I would do it again. I bought mine through summit racing, they sent me a 50 off code and got them for 181 for fronts.

I had the Rough country 2" spacer and to me I noticed a big difference in ride. yes I would do it again. I bought mine through summit racing, they sent me a 50 off code and got them for 181 for fronts.

Thanks for the info

Sorry Ive been away for so long, between travel and surgery I have fallen way behind.

Per Bilstein - we are getting close! Hoping to have by September.

We have 10 kit's in the production que... the plant has been lagging so we have been kicking and screaming the last few weeks. I'm hoping it's just going to be a couple more months to get most of them.

Thanks for building the hype... they'll defiantly live up. The domestic full size 6112's turned out really really good.

I'll make sure to keep you in the loop.

So, just to clarify, you're running the 5100s on max AND 2" spacer? Aren't the joints in the control arms basically screaming from that or did you upgrade them?

Sorry Ive been away for so long, between travel and surgery I have fallen way behind.

Per Bilstein - we are getting close! Hoping to have by September.

Do you have any new deals on the 5100 set or coupons?

Edited by severado

I talked with a tech at Bilstein today about the 6112. He said it's really going to be a good set up. I asked him how the 6112 compared to the 5100. He said if you use your truck for normal use and some easy not punishing off road the 5100 would be just fine but if you use it hard off road and really heat up the shocks the 6112 would be the best. We talked awhile about the front suspension on the 2014 and up trucks and he said the problem is that it only has 3 inches of wheel travel to work with. This is why its taking so long to get the 6112 tuned right. They had a 2014 Camaro beside a 2014 1500 and the Camaro had more wheel travel than the truck. This is the reason the trucks ride like they do. This explained to me whats really going on with the front suspension and if you add spacers or blocks for lift it just makes it worst by taking away more travel.

I was told the spring rate on the 6112 set will be 50lbs less than the stock spring.

Edited by southern_sierra
  • Like 1