Bilstein shocks thread

I actually talked to bilstein about that because I was curious too with no install directions in the box. They told me it did not matter with these shocks. They can be installed either way and 90% of installs they do in their test vehicles have the boots up. Their customer service was very helpful. I may have to readdress with my dealer if that's the case though.

I just installed the rear 5100 bilstein's and the lettering is on top with boot on bottom , I too called bilstein was told boot down.

Those shocks will bolt on to the NHT truck, they might not have enough dampening to control the rear spring on the NHT tho.

Thanks for the other links as well.

• Like 1

I just installed the rear 5100 bilstein's and the lettering is on top with boot on bottom , I too called bilstein was told boot down.

Well, That's disturbing on the two different answers we are getting. Someone at Bilstein will be hearing from me again Monday to verify your findings. Not real thrilled if it turns out it does matter direction when they flat out told me on the phone it didn't and they install them with boot up on their test vehicles. Still love the ride though. I'll post as soon as I talk to someone. Thanks Silverado990 for the feedback. [emoji106]

I received my 5100s for the rear of my 2014 double cab Z71 this evening, I'll be putting them on this weekend. I put 5100s on the front on the highest setting in January, no regrets here. Summit Racing has them for 71.00 a piece for the rear shocks right now.

Edited by Guru

I received my 5100s for the rear of my 2014 double cab Z71 this evening, I'll be putting them on this weekend. I put 5100s on the front on the highest setting in January, no regrets here. Summit Racing has them for 71.00 a piece for the rear shocks right now.

Let us know!

Let us know!

I put the rear shocks on last night, well my son in law did anyway. I was still getting my tools sorted out and I heard him from under the truck say "well that's one down"

Definitely improved the ride, smoothed out the bumps on the roads I travel daily a lot.

I think the rear shocks made just as much difference over the stock Ranchos as the 5100s did on the front.

FWIW, we put them with the boots down.

• Like 1

Hey guys I'm new to the site - so which model would be recommended for a towing vehicle but also dropped 2" in the back with shackles? I have some road master helper springs planned in the back to help with sag

Anyone? Or any shops they'd recommend that may know?

I put the bilstein 5100s on the rear of my 14 High Country with a new 2" block a few weeks ago. Ride is unbelievable compared to stock. Liked it so much I got the adjustable 5100s for my front, removed the lower block of my 2.5" RC level , and installed these at highest settings with the top spacer from the RC kit. Ride is incredible. Ride is ridiculously smooth and soaks up bumps great. Highly recommend the 5100s. Best investment I ever made. New shoes this week.

7e341c2f884c1880c4469e5a0a0f3d39.jpg

c2d124cca87c60ce55033c93e87ded12.jpg476f5b8aec83f56640267f5aa8a06850.jpg

The boot is supposed to be down my friend. Bilstein sets their shocks up to where you should be able to read the reading on the shock when it is installed.

• Like 1

The boot is supposed to be down my friend. Bilstein sets their shocks up to where you should be able to read the reading on the shock when it is installed.

Welp verdict is out, I got 3 different answers from 3 different calls to bilstein. One said didn't matter as I indicated in my first post, second call produced an I'm not sure but I will have someone contact you as soon as possible (wasn't contacted), and finally yesterday a boots down is typical for that application. Take it for what it is but not impressed by the CS there. However the ride is still great. Today I called Autoanything as there service has always been outstanding to see what they had to say as well. They immediately told me boots down. So they got flipped this evening. Not sure if I just got some newbies on the phone from bilstein but would have saved a lot of time and effort if the proper information was presented initially. Oh well. That's why we have the forums I guess.

• Like 3

Welp verdict is out, I got 3 different answers from 3 different calls to bilstein. One said didn't matter as I indicated in my first post, second call produced an I'm not sure but I will have someone contact you as soon as possible (wasn't contacted), and finally yesterday a boots down is typical for that application. Take it for what it is but not impressed by the CS there. However the ride is still great. Today I called Autoanything as there service has always been outstanding to see what they had to say as well. They immediately told me boots down. So they got flipped this evening. Not sure if I just got some newbies on the phone from bilstein but would have saved a lot of time and effort if the proper information was presented initially. Oh well. That's why we have the forums I guess.

And looks better with new tires now....

714f26cbd7619932ac11fb85031d719c.jpg861db2affad75b40d99067df516401c1.jpg

• Like 1

Yea. These forums help, but then they are also filled with a bunch of nonsense. No way to tell. I have those shocks and know how great the ride is, so either way boot up or down I'm sure they are just fine. just thought I'd give my two cents hoping it would help out a fellow Chevy owner. You got a very nice truck! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Yea. These forums help, but then they are also filled with a bunch of nonsense. No way to tell. I have those shocks and know how great the ride is, so either way boot up or down I'm sure they are just fine. just thought I'd give my two cents hoping it would help out a fellow Chevy owner. You got a very nice truck! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

No kidding. You are quite correct. I appreciate your insights on the bilsteins and the compliments in my truck. Both are greatly appreciated! I do love the ride.