Bilstein shocks thread

I do understand the merits of an improvement in dampening but my stock black shocks provide an excellent ride for my purposes. Bilsteins may be a viable option if I was looking to replace worn shock absorbers and level at the same time but the varying opinions on the impact of preload is still a concern.

I am trying to justify purchasing Bilstein or Pro Runner SS levelling shocks when I visit the Houston area at the end of the month (much less expensive than where I live). However, I am not finding compelling arguments that support levelling shocks over bottom of the strut spacers. Another forum member (GMC-AT) has expressed his preference for 1.5" bottom strut spacers on different threads. I would prefer a level that improved function as well as appearance but can't afford to experiment!

Its really isnt a comparison. Spacers do not improve the ride, cause extra wear on joints, limit UPTRAVEL, overextend stock components. A .5" spacer wont be as bad as a 3". A spacer does nothing for performance except lift the truck. A spacer can cause stock shocks to be over compressed causing shock failure. This has been proven time and time again on many make and models of trucks.

A bilstein, regardless of setting, does not limit travel up or down. It will provide extra suspension articulation over stock, allow for full suspension range of motion, improve the ride with better valving and dampening characteristics, allow for better dampening on rough roads as they are monotube shocks vs a cheap twin tube. As they use the stock upper mount, the shock angle is in a better position which will keep the coil from hitting the arm.

I posted a link that answer all of these questions above. PLEASE READ THIS - http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

LPOR-SPACER-Lifts-FAIL.jpg

Edited by MRT Motorsports
  • Like 1

Its really isnt a comparison. Spacers do not improve the ride, cause extra wear on joints, limit UPTRAVEL, overextend stock components. A .5" spacer wont be as bad as a 3". A spacer does nothing for performance except lift the truck. A spacer can cause stock shocks to be over compressed causing shock failure. This has been proven time and time again on many make and models of trucks.

A bilstein, regardless of setting, does not limit travel up or down. It will provide extra suspension articulation over stock, allow for full suspension range of motion, improve the ride with better valving and dampening characteristics, allow for better dampening on rough roads as they are monotube shocks vs a cheap twin tube. As they use the stock upper mount, the shock angle is in a better position which will keep the coil from hitting the arm.

I posted a link that answer all of these questions above. PLEASE READ THIS - http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

Well stated response. I have read this article several times and am aware that there is potential for bias in favour of the product being sold. However, it does make sense and if it wasn't for comments in this (and similar threads) bashing ride quality at the higher settings, it would be a no brainer for me too!

• Like 2

I've read that too but put a 2inch motofab today and truck looks so much better! Ride didn't change any I can tell. It'll work till I figure out when these 6112s come out and whether they are worth the coin.

• Like 1

Spacers do not improve the ride, cause extra wear on joints, limit UPTRAVEL, overextend stock components. A .5" spacer wont be as bad as a 3". A spacer does nothing for performance except lift the truck. A spacer can cause stock shocks to be over compressed causing shock failure. This has been proven time and time again on many make and models of trucks.

I appreciate all of the great information being provided. I want to check my understanding further. When comparing a 1.5" lift by Bilstein to a 1.5" spacer lift, there should be no difference in potential for extra wear on joints or damage from overextended stock components. As I understand, they both extend the coil over shock assembly creating similar new angles and changes to the stock components. Bilstein's design addresses potential issues with up and down travel and is a better quality shock absorber.

I put the bilstein 5100s on the rear of my 14 High Country with a new 2" block a few weeks ago. Ride is unbelievable compared to stock. Liked it so much I got the adjustable 5100s for my front, removed the lower block of my 2.5" RC level , and installed these at highest settings with the top spacer from the RC kit. Ride is incredible. Ride is ridiculously smooth and soaks up bumps great. Highly recommend the 5100s. Best investment I ever made. New shoes this week.

7e341c2f884c1880c4469e5a0a0f3d39.jpg

c2d124cca87c60ce55033c93e87ded12.jpg476f5b8aec83f56640267f5aa8a06850.jpg

• Like 6

Liked it so much I got the adjustable 5100s for my front, removed the lower block of my 2.5" RC level , and installed these at highest settings with the top spacer from the RC kit.

How far away is the upper control arm from the frame bump stop fully extended? That's good to hear that you can fit a spacer in with the steel suspension. I don't know that you can with the aluminum.

I put the bilstein 5100s on the rear of my 14 High Country with a new 2" block a few weeks ago. Ride is unbelievable compared to stock. Liked it so much I got the adjustable 5100s for my front, removed the lower block of my 2.5" RC level , and installed these at highest settings with the top spacer from the RC kit. Ride is incredible. Ride is ridiculously smooth and soaks up bumps great. Highly recommend the 5100s. Best investment I ever made. New shoes this week.

7e341c2f884c1880c4469e5a0a0f3d39.jpg

c2d124cca87c60ce55033c93e87ded12.jpg476f5b8aec83f56640267f5aa8a06850.jpg

Truck looks great, and happy to hear you are enjoying the ride!

How far away is the upper control arm from the frame bump stop fully extended? That's good to hear that you can fit a spacer in with the steel suspension. I don't know that you can with the aluminum.

Easily a good 1.25" to 1.5". Plenty of space. I don't off-road so plenty of articulation left there at the base of the UCA.

• Like 1

I put the bilstein 5100s on the rear of my 14 High Country with a new 2" block a few weeks ago. Ride is unbelievable compared to stock. Liked it so much I got the adjustable 5100s for my front, removed the lower block of my 2.5" RC level , and installed these at highest settings with the top spacer from the RC kit. Ride is incredible. Ride is ridiculously smooth and soaks up bumps great. Highly recommend the 5100s. Best investment I ever made. New shoes this week. 7e341c2f884c1880c4469e5a0a0f3d39.jpgc2d124cca87c60ce55033c93e87ded12.jpg476f5b8aec83f56640267f5aa8a06850.jpg

Looks good, this is my plan as well. Just a heads up... Your rear shocks are upside down the boot goes on the bottom on these models

• Like 1

Looks good, this is my plan as well. Just a heads up... Your rear shocks are upside down the boot goes on the bottom on these models

I actually talked to bilstein about that because I was curious too with no install directions in the box. They told me it did not matter with these shocks. They can be installed either way and 90% of installs they do in their test vehicles have the boots up. Their customer service was very helpful. I may have to readdress with my dealer if that's the case though. Edited by bwilloby46

Is anyone aware of a replacement Bilstein (or other brand) shock that will work with the NHT Max Tow package?

From everything I can find so far, Bilstein specifically excludes support for it.

post-152266-0-10688100-1459902756_thumb.png

Truck looks great, and happy to hear you are enjoying the ride!

Thanks! Yup I love the ride. It's like a brand new truck. Got new Toyo's ordered today. Dealer tried talking me into rims as well but still thinking on it.

• Like 1

Is anyone aware of a replacement Bilstein (or other brand) shock that will work with the NHT Max Tow package?

From everything I can find so far, Bilstein specifically excludes support for it.

attachicon.gifBilstein search.PNG

Those shocks will bolt on to the NHT truck, they might not have enough dampening to control the rear spring on the NHT tho.

Per this thread, a few users have bilsteins on the NHT equipped trucks.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/162049-nht-ride-quality/

I had an 08 NHT with z60 suspension that felt like there were no shocks installed. I put Bilstein 5100 shocks in all 4 corners. Problem solved.

Another good NHT info thread - http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/172318-2015-silverado-nht-suspension-upgrade-help/