Bilstein shocks thread

I replaced the black stock shocks with Bilsteins. I like to say the ride is more controlled now. Less shaking and bouncing with the Bilsteins. My wife used to say she felt like a bobble head when riding with the stockers, but not now.

Good to hear, yeah my wife and sister both commented on ride on bumps. They didn't know how to describe it but knew what they meant. What setting are you on?

Good to hear, yeah my wife and sister both commented on ride on bumps. They didn't know how to describe it but knew what they meant. What setting are you on?

2nd from bottom (1 up from stock). I didn't care about "leveling". Just wanted a better ride.

Edited by chuckl1218

2nd from bottom (1 up from stock). I didn't care about "leveling". Just wanted a better ride.

Thanks, I'm after both want a to leave little rake but not as much as stock. Hate nose high look. I'll try top setting and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm after both want a to leave little rake but not as much as stock. Hate nose high look. I'll try top setting and see how it goes.

My guess is that you will be happy with the top setting. I was thinking the second from top would be a bit of a compromise on the firmness issue and I was originally planning on a 1.5" lift. However, I sincerely doubt there would be any difference in the ride except in one's imagination. The difference in looks would be hard to notice, but just knowing that extra little bit of lift was unused would probably annoy me for a very long time!! If I go Bilsteins, I believe the top setting is the one to use. I suspect that most people use the stock or top settings on these shocks and that the in-between choices are more for marketing purposes.

I suspect that most people use the stock or top settings on these shocks and that the in-between choices are more for marketing purposes.

I just installed a set on the second setting on my truck today. I'm still running the factory goodyears and I didn't want them to look out of place. They gave .75" of lift as advertised. When I get new tires, most likely 275/60R20 or 275/65R20 I'll go up to the third setting. Ride is much better; I'm not bouncing all over the place now. Lift is noticeable to me as well, which is the most important thing lol.

Does anyone have a pic of the top mount of the 5100's when they're on the vehicle, or can someone go take one? I torqued the top nut down to Bilsteins measly 25 ft/lbs, and that doesn't seem right. The top spacer right under the nut can spin when the weight of the vehicle is on it. The last set of these I did, on a Titan, had a definite stopping point.

I have currently the Rough Country 2.5 lift/level kit with 275/65/20 cooper at3. The ride is ok. I did put bilstein 5100's on the rear which helped a ton! but the front is stock. I ordered a set of 5100's for the front. I'm trying to figure out if I should leave the kit in and run the front shocks on the stock setting or should I set the shocks at the .50 setting and run the 2" lower spacer...? Or run the shocks at the highest setting and run the 1/2" upper spacer...?

I have currently the Rough Country 2.5 lift/level kit with 275/65/20 cooper at3. The ride is ok. I did put bilstein 5100's on the rear which helped a ton! but the front is stock. I ordered a set of 5100's for the front. I'm trying to figure out if I should leave the kit in and run the front shocks on the stock setting or should I set the shocks at the .50 setting and run the 2" lower spacer...? Or run the shocks at the highest setting and run the 1/2" upper spacer...?

I had the same dilemma....RC 2.5" kit which gave me 2.25" of actual lift over stock.

This weekend I installed the 5100's all around. I put the fronts on the top setting, took out the lower spacer and left the upper spacer in place. End result is a true 2.5" of front lift. I haven't driven it a ton yet but ride is already improved.

If you are going to put the fronts in yourself...give yourself some time...its not a quick job.

I had the same dilemma....RC 2.5" kit which gave me 2.25" of actual lift over stock.

This weekend I installed the 5100's all around. I put the fronts on the top setting, took out the lower spacer and left the upper spacer in place. End result is a true 2.5" of front lift. I haven't driven it a ton yet but ride is already improved.

If you are going to put the fronts in yourself...give yourself some time...its not a quick job.

Thanks for the info! Did you leave the rear RC block in or put a larger one in?

I had switched out the 2" block for a 3" block when I ordered the kit.

So now have 2.5" in front and 3" in back...looks pretty good IMO.

Ok did u need new UBolts or did you just swap the block ?